Helpl, Can't find tenants who qualify

Helpl, Can't find tenants who qualify

Member since 2018 · 76 posts · 23 votes

Reposting ad I forgot to include a link to my zillow ad.

Need help please. Could you guys look at this ad and give me any advice that you think of? Had a good bit of interest, but no one who actually has enough income and credit and job history to qualify. Also, many with too many occupants, I am limiting it to 3 or 4 because of the septic. But the interest has really slowed down the past week or so. I think I have it competitively priced. This is a small town where houses with large lots versus a "neighborhood" with small lots are few and far between. The few "comps" on zillow are in such neighborhoods, which have high rental turnover rate and aren't near as desirable as my area. I thought of deactivating it for a few days and then reactivating. Also thought of dropping the rate. I don't really see where else I could advertise it in this area. As far as I know, everyone in this area uses Zillow. Should I include my number in the ad instead of prequalifying them through the rental profile? Not sure how that would help, but any advice is greatly appreciated! By the way, just noticed that the days on Zillow reset after I added some pictures last night. Guess that is a good thing? It had been on there for about 50 days.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5973-Lake-Wylie-Rd-Lake-W...

0Reply
81 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y

    Here are my thoughts:

    - The interior pictures look good

    - Why no pictures of the bathrooms?  Kitchens and baths are a big driver. Even though bathroom pictures tend to be boring, you want to know that part of the house matches the quality of the other parts.

    - The house seems priced right based on bath / bedrooms / square feet.  However, the house is more rustic, something you play up in your post.  The gravel driveway is one thing.  Add to that a well / septic system and that turns off some people.  

    - Is there a garage?  It doesn't appear so. That puts you at a disadvantage to other properties for rent in the area.

     - Compared with other houses for rent, the landscaping appears overgrown.  That one tall tree in front should probably be cut down, and others trimmed back.

     - I like that you highlighted the lack of a water bill.  Turn a potential negative into a positive.

     - The only other thing I see is that not all renters have a washer / dryer.  That might be something to think about.  You could always rent a set and have it installed.

    In short, I would do some landscaping then retake pictures of the front, add bathroom pictures, then consider lowering your asking rent due to the lack of garage.  

  • Patrick O'SullivanBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 534 posts · 204 votes
    1y

    Hi @Carol Burns, I can totally understand how discouraging this situation feels. It sounds like you have put a lot of effort into the listing already, and sometimes it just takes a few small tweaks to turn things around.

    Here are a few things that might help:

    First, I agree with what Greg said about the photos. Including bathroom pictures, even if they are simple, can help potential tenants get a better sense of the whole space. Kitchens and bathrooms are big decision points for a lot of people.

    It is a good sign that the listing reset on Zillow when you added new photos. That can help it show up higher in searches and catch more attention. Sometimes, even changing the first line of your description can make it feel new to people who have seen it before.

    If the septic system limits occupancy to three or four, it is smart to clearly state that in the listing. It might reduce the number of inquiries, but it will save you time and effort by filtering out applicants who are not a fit.

    As for including your phone number, that could lead to more leads, but it may also bring in more unqualified people unless you are very clear about your requirements in the ad. You might consider adding a brief list of your screening criteria, like minimum income, credit expectations, and occupancy limit. That way, people know what you are looking for before they reach out.

    Even if Zillow is the main platform in your area, it might still be worth sharing the listing in a local Facebook group or community page. Just be sure to copy over your criteria there as well.

    You are doing a lot right already. Sometimes it just takes a little refresh or change in visibility to bring in the right tenant. Hang in there, and best of luck getting it filled soon.

    get MULTIfamily Property Management4.7220 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.