I recently purchased my first investment property in a military / healthcare town but experiences other travelling professionals. I have the property listed on multiple sites (furnish finder, airbnb, vrbo, zillow) 2 weeks ago and have yet to book a tenant, but have received numerous inquiries but every time I am in communication with them they seem to just stop responding even when I have an extremely fast response rate.
Is this normal in anyone's experience? Are there methods I could implement to help close on someone interested in my property faster? Additionally are there other platforms you would suggest using to market the property?
Property Manager · Michigan Ctr, MI · Member since 2016 · 661 posts · 581 votes
11mo
Hey Ben,
Totally normal — two weeks with lots of inquiries but no bookings yet happens all the time when you’re new to mid-term rentals. The leads you’re getting are probably tire-kickers or just early planners testing the waters. Travelers on Furnished Finder and Zillow especially tend to reach out weeks before they’re ready to commit.
That said, there are a few small tweaks that can help you convert faster:
Add move-in clarity right in your title and first sentence. People respond quicker when they see “Available Jan 1 – March 31” or “Flexible start dates” upfront.
Lead with speed and simplicity. When someone messages you, reply with one clear question (e.g., “When’s your target move-in?”) instead of a long intro. Keeps momentum going.
Show credibility fast. Add a short bio line about being a local owner or mention your background (military town connection, healthcare focus, etc.). People renting mid-term often want reassurance they’re dealing with a real person.
Platforms: You’ve already got the big ones. I’d add Travel Nurse Housing (via Furnished Finder) and Facebook Marketplace groups for your local base and hospitals. If you want even broader reach, try Apartments.com Corporate Housing section and Zumper Flex.
Also, double-check your pricing against others in your exact zip — even being $100 over market for MTRs can kill responses. If it’s priced right and photos are strong, most hosts start seeing real leads after the 3-4 week mark once listings cycle through search results.
So yeah — I don't think you’re not doing anything wrong, just early in the exposure curve. A couple small messaging tweaks and you’ll probably land your first mid-term booking soon; Ben I really hope this helps you a bit, I sent you DM on BP... it's one of the reasons I do this, I hope you can assist. Thank you in advance.
Property Manager · Michigan Ctr, MI · Member since 2016 · 661 posts · 581 votes
11mo
Hey Ben,
Totally normal — two weeks with lots of inquiries but no bookings yet happens all the time when you’re new to mid-term rentals. The leads you’re getting are probably tire-kickers or just early planners testing the waters. Travelers on Furnished Finder and Zillow especially tend to reach out weeks before they’re ready to commit.
That said, there are a few small tweaks that can help you convert faster:
Add move-in clarity right in your title and first sentence. People respond quicker when they see “Available Jan 1 – March 31” or “Flexible start dates” upfront.
Lead with speed and simplicity. When someone messages you, reply with one clear question (e.g., “When’s your target move-in?”) instead of a long intro. Keeps momentum going.
Show credibility fast. Add a short bio line about being a local owner or mention your background (military town connection, healthcare focus, etc.). People renting mid-term often want reassurance they’re dealing with a real person.
Platforms: You’ve already got the big ones. I’d add Travel Nurse Housing (via Furnished Finder) and Facebook Marketplace groups for your local base and hospitals. If you want even broader reach, try Apartments.com Corporate Housing section and Zumper Flex.
Also, double-check your pricing against others in your exact zip — even being $100 over market for MTRs can kill responses. If it’s priced right and photos are strong, most hosts start seeing real leads after the 3-4 week mark once listings cycle through search results.
So yeah — I don't think you’re not doing anything wrong, just early in the exposure curve. A couple small messaging tweaks and you’ll probably land your first mid-term booking soon; Ben I really hope this helps you a bit, I sent you DM on BP... it's one of the reasons I do this, I hope you can assist. Thank you in advance.
@Kristina Krich Hey Kristina, to my suprise, most of my leads and bookings have been Airbnb. I am assuming because of its more known platform compared to the others. I have been fully booked for 2 months all the way through mid february now.
I recently purchased my first investment property in a military / healthcare town but experiences other travelling professionals. I have the property listed on multiple sites (furnish finder, airbnb, vrbo, zillow) 2 weeks ago and have yet to book a tenant, but have received numerous inquiries but every time I am in communication with them they seem to just stop responding even when I have an extremely fast response rate.
Is this normal in anyone's experience? Are there methods I could implement to help close on someone interested in my property faster? Additionally are there other platforms you would suggest using to market the property?
Hey Ben, welcome to BP! What you’re seeing is actually pretty normal, especially in markets with traveling professionals or short-term tenants—people often inquire but then change plans, lose interest, or just ghost, even if you respond fast. One way to improve your chances of closing is to make the process as easy and frictionless as possible—clear photos, upfront pricing, flexible lease terms, and maybe offering an easy online application or instant booking if it’s short-term. Responding quickly is great, but also consider sending a friendly follow-up if someone goes quiet after a day or two, sometimes a gentle nudge helps. For platforms, you’ve got the major ones covered, but some investors also have success with local Facebook groups, LinkedIn networks for traveling professionals, or niche military housing boards depending on your audience. It’s often a numbers game at first, and as you build a track record and reviews, tenants start booking faster. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!
Real Estate Agent · Temple, TX · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 700 votes
7mo
Hey Ben - I'm an agent and investor in Temple/Killeen so this is literally my backyard.
What you're experiencing is totally normal for the first 2-4 weeks. The tire-kickers are real, especially on Furnished Finder where people browse way before they're ready to commit.
Here's what I've learned from my own MTRs: the first tenant is the grind. After that, you can start marketing 30-60 days before your current tenant's lease ends, and you'll usually have someone lined up before they even move out. The machine gets easier once it's running.
One thing that helped me convert faster early on—I stopped writing long responses to inquiries. I ask them if they would like to see it/ offer a video tour. The ones who are serious will engage, the rest were never going to book anyway.
What part of Killeen is your property in? Curious if you're near the base or more toward the hospital corridor.
New to Real Estate · Muskogee, OK · Member since 2023 · 18 posts · 6 votes
7mo
Hi Ben, I am a real estate investor in Muskogee, OK, and have 4 MTRs.
That is completely normal. It took us about 4 wks to get our first MTR tenant a year ago. After that, most booked about 2-4 wks before they needed housing. We did have a couple of students that were on summer internships and booked a couple months in advance, but that is certainly the exception and not the rule. We list on Furnished Finder, Apartments.com, Realtor.com, and occasionally Zillow. We did Airbnb for a few months, but didn't like the extra fees and restrictions they placed on us for guest communications, so we don't list with them anymore.
Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
7mo
This is super common with mid-term rentals tbh. People inquire but don't follow through because they're comparing tons of options. One trick that helped me: create urgency with a simple "I have 2 other people viewing tomorrow, but can hold it for 24hrs if you're serious." Also, are you asking for the deposit/first month upfront in your first response? That kills a lot of conversations early.