Marketing Ideas To Find Deals!

Marketing Ideas To Find Deals!

Real Estate Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 23 votes

Hello All,

I hope I caught your attention with this headline!

So I was thinking… (oh no here we go). I truly believe that to be successful in ANY business (real estate investing or not) marketing is the key! Without it, you will have no customers (deals), and with no customers (deals) you will make no money! Period! It all starts with marketing… once you have some marketing in place and find a potential deal, then you need to know things like: how to analyze a deal, structure the deal, fund the deal, etc etc.

But unless you have marketing… it never starts.

So, I have a challenge for you…

Over time, I will post as many marketing ideas that I can think of to find deals…

Will you do the same?

By everyone contributing their ideas, over time we will have a huge list of marketing ideas that new and seasoned investors can turn to for suggestions for their next marketing campaign.

Deal? Let’s do it!

So here are the guidelines:
#1 – Just throw out the ideas… any and all ideas that you may have. Just because you have tried it and it didn’t work for you, doesn’t mean it wont work well for someone in another area or with a different skill-set. Just get the idea out there, each person can decide and test it on their own to see if the idea will work for them.

#2 – Give a brief description of the idea and a brief explanation of how the idea can be used. i.e. Don’t just say “postcards”… be more specific.

#3 – And lastly, right now list as many ideas as you can… and monitor this post… And later when you think of more ideas, come back and add another reply… Keep the ideas coming!

Let’s make this the “List of all Marketing Lists!

Below I will start it off, and I will be back to keep adding to the list.

0Reply
28 views

23 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 23 votes
    18y

    Notice of Defaults (NOD) Mailers – Send out letters to homeowner’s currently in and facing foreclosure. Send out several letters during the foreclosure period, not just 1 letter like everyone does.

    Notice of Defaults (NOD) – Drive by houses that are in foreclosure and knock on the door to see if the homeowner needs help finding a solution to their problem.
    [b]
    Notice of Defaults (NOD) –[/b] Leave hand written notes on doors of homes that are in foreclosure. Pay special attention to those that are vacant, these are "don't want er's"… these can be great subject-to opportunities! While there, try and look out of place to try and get the attention of a neighbor. When you see a neighbor, simply waive to them and start walking their direction while keeping eye contact. Neighbors know everything… i.e. where they work, what is happening, when and where they moved to etc. If they don't know, they know who in the neighborhood does.

    Newspaper Ad – Place an ad in the paper stating you buy homes. Place a small ad for a long time verses a large ad for a short time. Be consistent with your marketing. I have had people see my ad in the paper and then three month later go back to the paper looking for my ad again because now they have a need to call me.

    Realtor Marketing – Call and interview over the phone. If it seems like it could be a match, set an appointment to meet in person. Meet 1 new Realtor each week. Explain to the Realtor what you are looking for, and ask them to keep you in mind and to keep an eye out for you. Get all their contact info for future follow up marketing. i.e. Phone, cell, and fax number, email address etc.

    Realtor Marketing – Follow up with the Realtors you have already met. Call them, send them a letter, fax, or an email every 10-14 days so they do not forget you!

    That’s what I have for now… I will be back to add more later!

  • Real Estate Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2008 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    18y

    Run TV commercials and/or infomercials to target motivated sellers. Also, make sure you have a catchy and memorable slogan that seperates you from the other "mom and pop" investors in your area.

  • Member since 2008 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    18y

    Hoardings and fliers can help you to target the local audience. Even for them consistency is one thing that should always be maintained.

  • Homeowner · Carrollton , AL · Member since 2008 · 138 posts · 11 votes
    18y

    PPC: Set yourself up with a PPC (Pay Per Click) account with Google Adwords, MSN AdCenter and/or Yahoo Search Marketing and use geo-targeting to target people down to the zip code using typical keywords like "sell my house". Even the super popular keywords should be usable since you are using geo targeting. Just make sure in your ad you state where you are interested in buying houses.

  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2008 · 23 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Talk to the mailman, ask him if he can tell you which houses in the neighbourhood are abandoned ( depending on your relationship with this person, you might be able to get more info..), he can probably even get you the names of the homeowners.

    Good luck investing, keep it legal and let me know how it works out !

  • Real Estate Investor · Whiting, IN · Member since 2008 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    18y

    Let's not forget about bandit signs... they work great and can pull in more leads than you can handle depending on your area. Blank corrogated signs and H-stakes run about $1.00 each so place 20 signs out over a weekend for around a $40.00 ad investment campaign and let the calls come in. You can do this to market for buyers and sellers.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2008 · 34 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Well, I checked your guidlines and did not see
    what those of us with a quesiton on the suggestions
    was to do..so will ask it here.
    I am looking for a site or place to order Postcards
    that are targeted to the NOD market...I have googled
    postcards, realestate and more and have only come up
    with realtor specific cards.
    ANY tips are appreciated!!
    GREAT TOPIC!
    thanks,

  • Real Estate Consultant · Panama, WY · Member since 2008 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Hi Johnniejrde,

    Don't know if this thread is still alive but, noticed that you have not been answered so maybe this will help.

    Postcard's are a great marketing tools an all of us in the industry should be taking full advantage of this cost effective approach to getting our message out there. You can be very creative with postcards in fact this is where you can out shine your competitors.

    Look at what your competition is doing or isn't doing and be different stand out or shout out your message. You can use humor, use different card stock the options are endless. You get what I mean... the thing is be different rise above and get your message heard.

  • Real Estate Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2008 · 40 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    In my town, Kalamazoo, MI, bandit signs are outlawed. So I was talking to another investor in the area and he had some static cling signs made that say "We Buy and Sell Houses" etc. and put 3 in the windows of his car and put them in his wife's car and other family member's cars. He says he generates the majority of his leads from those signs.

    I thought it was a great idea as long as you're okay with "pimping" your car out.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    18y

    Bandit signs are outlawed pretty much everywhere. That why they're called "bandit" signs.

    Jon

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2008 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Vista Print is a great place to get cheap and sometimes free postcards. They have some that are already designed or you can design your own. I like to do a combination. Take a design I like then change all the information!

    Good Luck!

    Twyla Craven

  • Real Estate Consultant · Bowie, MD · Member since 2008 · 27 posts · 0 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "johnniejrden":
    Well, I checked your guidlines and did not see
    what those of us with a quesiton on the suggestions
    was to do..so will ask it here.
    I am looking for a site or place to order Postcards
    that are targeted to the NOD market...I have googled
    postcards, realestate and more and have only come up
    with realtor specific cards.
    ANY tips are appreciated!!
    GREAT TOPIC!
    thanks,

    Listsource is a good place to get lists for mailings

    After you select your criteria, you then upload the postcard info into usps for easy and inexpensive mailing.

    Another good source for postcard designs is In Touch Today for some good ideas. I hope this helps.

  • Ormond Beach, AL · Member since 2008 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Some areas do give us a hard time but in general it's a good strategy.

    USPS.com will allow you to design your own postcard and mail it right from their site... I've used that service and been real happy in the past.

    You have to upload your mailing list in an excel format and can mail as little as one postcard at a time.

  • Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2008 · 40 posts · 12 votes
    18y

    In order for you to make money as a Real Estate investor you need your phone ringing off the hook each and every day with Motivated Sellers. In addition,once you have these "motivated" sellers on the phone or have visited them in person, you have to know what to say to them and when to say it to close deals.

    The bottom line is to get your phone ringing off the hook, you need to have a bonafide marketing system in place. Your marketing system must deliver motivated sellers to you on a consistent basis because if it doesn't you have a problem.

    Also, when you finally do talk to sellers you have to be able to handle any and all objections with swift responses. You can't be at loss for words. You can't respond by saying:

    "I dunno"
    "let me get back to you on that"
    "umm...duh"
    "umm.... I guess so"
    "Geez.... I didn't think of that" etc.

    You have to be able to speak the seller's language.

    For example, if you are talking to a seller that's a frustrated landlord you have to speak their language. Same things applies when speaking with sellers that are in foreclosure, are going through probate, have "an ugly house" etc. You must speak that seller's language in order to effectively communicate your solutions, construct and present offers ,close deals and make money.

    The sellers that you are going to come across will come in all kinds of different shapes, sizes and personalities. Furthermore, their circumstances and motivation for selling will vary from seller to seller and it would be absolutely distrastrous for you not to recognize that by communicating with every seller the same exact way.

    It would be the equivalent of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. And of course you're smarter than that right?

  • Real Estate Investor · Kansas City Area, MO · Member since 2008 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    I don't think anyone has mentioned church. I just typed up a letter with a few information brochures and sent them to all the local churches addressed to the Pastor/Priest. They council members in ther parish for all kinds of problems including finances. Also the school guidance counselors. They are a wealth of information believe it or not. Don't forget to let your dentist and physicians know what you do. Sounds crazy but alot of people go to the doctor for stress. Get my drift. Hope this helps anyone out. Great idea suggestiong this topic! We can all use great tips! :D

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2008 · 691 posts · 12 votes
    18y

    It is great seeing all the ideas you guys have come up with. Someone mentioned some sites to design and mail postcards. Also a placwe to buy lists. I was thinking, if I could find a site that could create a specified list to certain target groups like:

    1. Recent purchases by non-owner occupied homes (marketing to landlords)
    2. Owners who have owned their homes for more than 20 years (possible free and clear ownership and also possible extensive repairs needed)
    3. same as #2 above but only non-owner occupied (burned out landlords).

    Then there should be a way to mail merge the list easily onto postcards and mail them without doing the labor yourself. Does anyone have a "one stop shopping" site to suggest, or second choice would be the list site and they email you the list and you do the mail merge yourself.

    The key here is a site that is not a scam, if I am willing to fork over the cost for this direct mail marketing. It seems like there are soo many investor newby scams going on these days. The only way to avoid it is to get a real investor to recommend the site. Thanks for your help in advance! :help:

  • Real Estate Investor · Bergen County, NJ · Member since 2008 · 390 posts · 72 votes
    18y

    I have never tried this at all... I haven't done any marketing yet as matter of fact because I am so new! and trying to gain as much info as possible.

    However, I interned once at a relocation company, SIRVA relocation, and every client we had was atleast somewhat motivated, who owned a home needed to have his/her home sold and needed to buy a new home in their new location OR they were looking for a place to rent....

    Wouldn't it be a good idea to contact either there relocation companies or probably a better person would be the real estate brokers who focus on servicing these clients?

    We had a network of preferred brokers who we dealt with often and the goal was to sell the house within 90 days MAX and that was stretching it...

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2008 · 691 posts · 12 votes
    18y

    Thank you for the suggestions. I wanted to avoid agents for this. I would be doing a direct mail piece, probably a postcard that would drive them to call my 800 number if they were interested in selling or considering selling. I would need to come up with specific language that might qualify or motivate them more to call. Any ideas for good wording? I would want to deal only with the owner directly, trying to get them to accept a low offer, or a higher offer with great terms. Then I was planning to wholesale the deal. Someone in another post suggested Realquest.com. I will look more into that. Thanks! Mike

  • Real Estate Investor · Katy, TX · Member since 2008 · 430 posts · 22 votes
    18y

    Get some signs, go to mom and pop shops in the area you are interested in (such as pawn shops, small gas stations, etc.) Make a deal with these people to hang the sign that says WE BUY HOUSES or w/e you want it to say. Then when a customer see's this sign they will ask the owner of the shop, who in turn calls you with a lead. You can come up with your own way to pay the guy, lotsa different laws and attitudes on what is legal.

  • General Contractor · Battle Ground, WA · Member since 2008 · 17 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Jason,

    that's great man, thanks!

    What's one of the best places where ladies hang out and chat about life?

    beauty salons - hair, nails, facials, tanning, etc...

    Why not a laminated colored flier that sits at the bottom corner of the mirror the client looks at while getting their hair done? WE BUY HOMES

  • Investor · Edmonton, Alberta · Member since 2008 · 29 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    i haven't seen this one posted yet. When i went to a ted thomas coarse, he had water bottles, nice gift wraped envelopes (looked like a little present sort of), pencil cases, tubes with papers in them and something that rattled when shaked... I think basically what you need to do is just go all out and put your creative mind to work, thanks for the great topic Micheal!

  • Wholesaler · Largo, MD · Member since 2008 · 98 posts · 11 votes
    18y

    i've gotten calls with business cards. i use either yellow and black or orange and black and there's copy all over them. it's a benefit rich card with my toll free number on it and the type of properties i'm looking for, the fact i can move quickly and with a call to action. i drop them at gas stations, pawn shops, bookstores, home depot, pretty much wherever I find myself at any given moment in time. it's a low cost way to get deals.

    my other favorite way bandit signs. in my area i don't do light poles i use the wooden stakes and place them in high traffic areas. i put up multiple signs in an intersection that way it makes it easier to remember the number and i also put them at the next intersection following the direction of traffic so they see the sign multiple times.
    check with the statutes in your area to be sure you don't run afoul of the law.

  • Member since 2008 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    These are all AMAZING ideas and tips! I'll share mine when I have more time! :-)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.