What is your best marketing technique?

What is your best marketing technique?

Investor · Dallas TX, United States · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

I am a mad scientist when it comes to marketing.  I will try anything once, and most things twice.  So let me ask all of you, what is your favorite or most creative marketing technique?

I will shart my most creative.  I made up a bunch of day glow orange stickers that say "I buy houses" and everytime I go to the grocery store, I place on sticker on the handle of my shopping cart.  I have bought two houses from those stickers so far. 

19Reply
134 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11y

Hi @Josh Caldwell

I canvas financial planners

I ask them if their clients would like to sell their low equity homes on lease purchase instead of paying the traditional sales costs of selling with an agent, which saves their client sometimes as much as 9 to 12 per cent.

If the sellers have no equity, they do not need to break savings plans like IRAs to use to pay the costs to sell.  Financial Planners like that! 

See this reply in the discussion

85 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Silicon Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 169 posts · 52 votes
    11y

    Love that, Josh! I'm not in the biz of doing what you're doing so it's a boring for rent sign and an ad on Craig's List.  But it does the trick :-) 

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Hi @Josh Caldwell

    I canvas financial planners

    I ask them if their clients would like to sell their low equity homes on lease purchase instead of paying the traditional sales costs of selling with an agent, which saves their client sometimes as much as 9 to 12 per cent.

    If the sellers have no equity, they do not need to break savings plans like IRAs to use to pay the costs to sell.  Financial Planners like that! 

  • Investor · Dallas TX, United States · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Brian Gibbons:

    Hi @Josh Caldwell

    I canvas financial planners

    I ask them if their clients would like to sell their low equity homes on lease purchase instead of paying the traditional sales costs of selling with an agent, which saves their client sometimes as much as 9 to 12 per cent.

    If the sellers have no equity, they do not need to break savings plans like IRAs to use to pay the costs to sell.  Financial Planners like that! 

     Brian that is brilliant, I am going to use that one, thank you very much.

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    CPAs, canvas, for private IRA loans, give the book "IRA Wealth" by Patrick Rice

    Great book on SDIRAs, simple, direct

  • Investor · Dallas TX, United States · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Brian

    Why not white label a book on SDIRA's.  Im sure you can find one or at least a roport by looking at master resale rights sites.  Either that or use Odesk to have one written for you.  That way you gain lots of credability as the apparent author, and you establish yourself as the go to expert.  I have connections with Cama plan, and equity trust, I wonder if they would white lable a book or report for me?  that just made my to do list

    thank you again

    Josh

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    11y

    Great suggestions @Josh Caldwelland @Brian Gibbons!  Last week I e-mailed junk haulers, clutter folks, moving laborers, estate sale planners, etc I found on craigslist. Said I pay referral fees of $400+ if I buy or l/o a house or plex you tell me about.   I met with 4 folks and we exchanged bundles of business cards.  The clutter/estate sale guy asked if I had more business cards to give him.  I said "sure, why?"  My day job is as cashier at the local minimart.  I will tell every everyone that buys something about this.  I want to be a RE investor someday, too.  You never know, right?  I love the financial planner and bright sticker ideas, guys! Great thread.

  • Investor · Dallas TX, United States · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @steve Vaughan I like that one also I will get my VA on that one this coming monday. I use a foreign VA to do most of my internet tasks. She costs $5 per hour and makes me a ton of money, by emailing sellers and starting up dialogue about seller financing, then I talk to the motivated ones. I guess that counts as another marketing technique that I use.

  • Specialist · Sibley, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 190 votes
    11y

    @Josh Caldwell Those stickers is smart marketing tactic I've seen people do of years. Now to take it to a new level I will use the power of the internet to grow my business. Why? Because all your leads are on there searching for help no matter if it's selling or buying a property. 

    Start a website and market it to the world with SEO and blogging. 

  • Investor · Dallas TX, United States · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Antonio Coleman  I love internet marketing.  My favorite technique there is to use keyword spy and find the keywords that my competiton is using, including their business name then I add those terms to my website. 

    Lets imagine that Antonio was a search term that I wanted to hit   I would add that name at the very bottom of my page in white font against a white background.  The search engine bots still see it but nobody else can see that text.  I get to rank second for your business name without you have any idea how I am doing that.

    I hope that helps, like I said I really like internet marketing

    Josh

    Ps feel free to conncet.

  • Investor · Dallas TX, United States · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    I will give you another one of my marketing tricks. Sometimes I have a property and a number of qualified buyers will want that property Well obviously only one of them is going to get the property. I could, and do add the rest of them to my buyers list, but I also have a little chat with each of them. I explain that I am a professional deal negotiator, and I am pretty good at it. Then I tell them, if they see a FSBO sign in the yard of a house that they might want to buy, I will make the call and try to negotiate either owner financing, or a reduced price. If I am successful, then they get first right of refusal on that deal. That way my potential buyers are motivated to go out and find me houses. They dont get paid anything to do this, they are working for the opertunity to buy a house from me and make me money. That is part of my ant farm. I want my ants crawling all over town looking for deals for me.

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    I love this thread


    I like 2 things in real estate: 

    1st thing I like in real estate are pretty houses with no equity
    so I can do a subject to, wrap or a lease to own

    The 2nd thing I like in real estate are people that make a lot of money but they can't buy a house right now

    So this marketing tip is on the "tenant buyer side" of people that are renting right now but they think they can't buy right now.

    Here's my number 1 question:

    For tenant buyers what are the best kind tenant buyers? A lot of income and they have some problem getting the mortgage.

    Debt to income of 43% is hard, and I like medical people.

    Medical people make a lot of money, and they have a lot of debt to to educational bills.

    So how do you market to medical people?

    Guerrilla marketing:

    go to a printer and get brightly colored stock paper, I like limegreen or fluorescent red, stay away from orange which is danger color

    Create a one-page website called _________rent to own homes. I get free domains and cheap hosting at justhost.com, put WordPress site together, and just have a video that talks about rent to own. 

    Then create a little flyer with your fluorescent stock paper,

    Would you like a beautiful rent own home? Is your landlord driving you crazy? Do you hate neighbors right next you in an apartment? Get a 3 or 4 bedroom house with the same you're paying in rent right now, being owner not a renter, stop making a landlord rich. Your job is your passport to homeownership. 

    Guerilla Marketing: stick on car door in hospital parking lots.

  • Nottingham, MD · Member since 2014 · 109 posts · 37 votes
    11y

    Hi @Josh Caldwell

    To go along with the grocery store theme, I printed up 5x7 postcards on glossy photo paper and post them on the community board that everyone sees as they leave the store. I received 1 call from it within the first week of it being up.

  • Investor · Dallas TX, United States · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Keith Belzner I like the community bullitin board.

    When I have a pretty house with terms, I will send direct mail to local class A apartment buildings, and let everyone in that complex know that they can own my house for what they are paying in rent, as long as they can come up with a good down payment.  If I get a good enough responce from that mailer, I will do a one day, winner takes all auction for the down payment.   One buyer gets the house, the other serious contenders get added to my buyers list and I send them text blasts when I get a property in their area.

  • Investor · Dallas TX, United States · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    I just sold a house from one of my other favorite marketing techniques.

    I talk to the police in every part of town.  I am a retired cop, so the conversation is pretty easy.

    I offer to pay them when I close on a house that they send me, and I ask them to look for two things for me.

    The first is abandoned houses.  The one I just sold, I bought for $1 and sold for $7500, it is a total piece of garbage. 

    The second thing that I have my cops looking for is criminal or problem tenants.  A tenant that has a lot of police interaction is a lead for a burned out landlord.  I love buying property from burned out landlords.  They are used to getting monthly payments, so an offer to take over  a property and make payments is frequently welcomed with open arms. 

    The same trick works with garbage men and postal carrier but the police are the best because the know who the real jerk tenants are.

    To your success

    Josh  

  • Lake Worth , FL · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    Awesome post and thread!!

    Thanks for all the great marketing ideas!  I am a newbie with an extremely small marketing budget and in need of some creativity.

    Again, Thanks 

    Aneita

    @Josh Caldwell

    @Brian Gibbons

    @Steve Vaughan

  • Investor · Dallas TX, United States · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Aneita Williams  Much of the best marketing is either free or pretty close to free. I will give you another one that works pretty well for a farm area.   I have a buddy who owns a pizza place and I talked to him about a co-promotion.   I sent out flyers with "josh buys houses" on one side and a pizza coupon on the other.  In turn he put my flyer on the top of every pizza box that he sent out for a month.  My flyers cost me .17 per flyer and went through the US Post office to my target area. 

    You can adapt this technique to send out flyers and make a profit.  In my case 1000 flyers cost me $170 in postage and a bit more to have them printed at kinkos.  Now what you can do is to approach 3 other business in your target area, and have them each pay for half of the cost of the flyers.  Any business owner with any sense will be interested in sending out a marketing flyer for half price, and since there are 3 halves to this payment, you get paid to send out a flyer of yours.

    I hope that helps

    Josh

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 14 votes
    11y

    I primarily drive traffic to my website, cherry pick the leads I want and then sell the others to my competition for a nice revenue stream. It's absolutely hands off easy!

     I also try crazy, unique things.  I had some success when I would mail a letter to motivated sellers and them follow it up a few days later with a copy of the same letter that I crumpled up and then straightened it out again.  I put a sticky note saying, "Why did you throw me away...Let's Talk!".

    Believe it or not, this had some great results because the people that called saw the humor in it and it was an ice breaker :)

  • Investor · Dallas TX, United States · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Patrick Zanders - I love that follow up technique  I am going to borrow that one. 

    Back to the idea of direct mail  I send letters to landlords after the file to evict a tenant. Its public record and I know that the landlord who is evicting has a pretty good reason to want to sell a property.  I sometimes do the same thing with arrest records, but I cherry pick what neighborhoods I am willing to emply this tactic in.

    To your success

    Josh

    I am really excited about the tecnhiques that people are sharing on this post. lets keep it going. 

  • Lake Worth , FL · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    Thanks Josh,

    Yes, that is helpful as well!!!

    Aneita

    @Josh Caldwell

  • Lake Worth , FL · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    Oh wait Josh,

    I am not exactly clear about the second part where I get paid to send out my flyer......... 

    Could you break that down a little more, I am not clear about how that could work with three businesses.  Is this all on one flyer?  Your first example used front and back with your flyer and the pizza place......

    Please break that down a little more. 

    Thanks, 

    Aneita

    @Josh Caldwell

  • Investor · Dallas TX, United States · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Sure I can explain   

    Lets use simple math.  Lets say that it costs $100 to send out the flyers.  What I do, is I find 3 business owners that will each pay $50 to make a flyer with me.   The flyer is advertising 4 companies,  My part says "josh buys houses".  So the first two cover the cost for less it would have cost them to make thier own mailer.  The last one actually makes me a profit. the only trick is to make sure that none of the businesses compete with each other.  You can have a Pizza place, a Karate Dojo, and a Funeral parlor all on the same flyer.  I look for business owners who already advertise in the community, because I know they understand the concept of marketing.

    Did I explain that well?

    Josh

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2014 · 75 posts · 16 votes
    11y

    @Josh Caldwell thanks for the great ideas! I love the one partnering with the pizza place!

  • Lake Worth , FL · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    Oh wait Josh,

    I am not exactly clear about the second part where I get paid to send out my flyer......... 

    Could you break that down a little more, I am not clear about how that could work with three businesses.  Is this all on one flyer?  Your first example used front and back with your flyer and the pizza place......

    Please break that down a little more. 

    Thanks, 

    Aneita

    @Josh Caldwell

  • Investor · Dallas TX, United States · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Yes it is a simple flyer broken down into four parts, each business gets 1/4 of a page, and we all go in together.  In my example only 2 businesses are needed to pay for the entire mailing, so I get paid by the 3rd business, and my advertisement only cost me the amount of time that I spent putting this all together.  Marketing doesnt get any cheaper than that.

  • Rental Property Investor · Annapolis, MD · Member since 2014 · 214 posts · 140 votes
    11y

    @Josh Caldwell I have a bit off an topic question. Based on what i read from your above postings, I would guess that you do "Sandwich Leases" with some health professionals. I was wondering, how do you set up your Lease Options to make sure you are legally covered in this Post D.F. Bill world? I am a long time b & h investor but i am considering to go out of my comfort zone a little bit....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.