Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 619 posts · 75 votes
What color bandit signs do you think work best? White with Blue or Yellow with Black?
Also what kinds of catchy sayings do you put on yours? I feel like we buy houses just blend together.
I've been thinking about putting "Terry buys Scary Houses :)" on mine thinking the slogan would stick out in peoples heads.
Real Estate Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2008 · 108 posts · 9 votes
18y
I've tried everything. Here's the best that I've found.
We Buy Houses anything else didn't pull as well.
Yellow with black lettering.
Yellow letters
Yellow postcards
I got to sit down with Gary Boomershine of Sales Team Live, and discuss how he's tested marketing. He's an absolute genius marketer. He's tried everything... large yellow postcard pulled the best by far.
That's why people call me and say, why do I keep getting yellow letters and postcards from a whole bunch of people.
Do what's proven that works unless you've got money to blow.
Homeowner · Carrollton , AL · Member since 2008 · 138 posts · 11 votes
18y
From the stuff I have seen, I would think Yellow with Black would be best as that fluorescent yellow really is an eye catcher. Then again, the people in your location may react differently to bandit signs. That being said, even though I would suggest the yellow on black, I would recommend trying them out.
If you do plan on testing both types of signs, put some kind of code on each of them and then when people call in, ask them for the sign code. That way, you can get better results as to which sign outperformed the other.
In terms of slogans, the whole rhyming thing is always a nice way to help get your message to stick in people's heads. Have you tried that slogan out yet? If so, how has it been working? If it hasn't been working very well, never be afraid to try something new. Maybe think about throwing some benefits in your slogan like 'quick transactions' or something like that.
Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 619 posts · 75 votes
18y
I do feel like Yellow with black looks better and is more eye catching. I just feel that it blends in more.
I remember seeing a white sign with purple letters that really caught my eye.
I was driving to fast to see what it said, it just made my head turn.
Also, what about phone numbers?
I was thinking about just getting an 800 forwarding number at 5.9c per min. I have a DC area phone number and I live in Baltimore. I don't want someone who is on their last dime to not call me because its going to cost them.
Can anyone recommend a good comapny.
And does anyone think a vanity number is worth the extra money?
Lender · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2008 · 351 posts · 40 votes
18y
I'm glad you asked about the phone number Troyce. I have been thinking about that also. I don't know if I really want to put my cell phone all over the place.
Also have you ever thought about orange? I know it may look a little Halloweeny(sp?) but it is a little different than most so might stick out a bit more. Just a thought!
Lender · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2008 · 351 posts · 40 votes
18y
Has anybody had experience with just using their cell phone number? I am starting to feel that it wouldn't be a HUGE deal. I mean people that call are probably going to be calling for a reason, right?
Real Estate Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2008 · 108 posts · 9 votes
18y
I've tried everything. Here's the best that I've found.
We Buy Houses anything else didn't pull as well.
Yellow with black lettering.
Yellow letters
Yellow postcards
I got to sit down with Gary Boomershine of Sales Team Live, and discuss how he's tested marketing. He's an absolute genius marketer. He's tried everything... large yellow postcard pulled the best by far.
That's why people call me and say, why do I keep getting yellow letters and postcards from a whole bunch of people.
Do what's proven that works unless you've got money to blow.
Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2008 · 691 posts · 12 votes
18y
Whatever color and copy you choose, please make sure to make it readable, with dark, thick lines and large print so it can be read at a glance. I can't tell how many times I've seen a sign that someone wrote in thin faint lines and nobody can read it unless they got out of their car dna walked over to it, which is not going to happen.
Involved In Real Estate · Naples Florida · Member since 2008 · 54 posts · 11 votes
18y
Originally posted by "dus22":
Has anybody had experience with just using their cell phone number? I am starting to feel that it wouldn't be a HUGE deal. I mean people that call are probably going to be calling for a reason, right?
Right now bandit signs are my primary source of lead generation and I have always used my cell phone number. With lending in shambles I've been marketing towards sub to deals. The signs I'm using now are the same as someone mentioned before. They are generating leads but mostly for short sales.
[b]We buy houses
We Take Over Payments
XXX-XXX-XXXX[/b]
I'm considering a new campaign for my next order that is probably going to rub a few people the wrong way but I think I will get a huge response. I would appreciate any feedback....remember I'm in Vegas people here are accustomed to "shock" marketing.
[b] F#%! THE MARKET
I'M STILL BUYING HOUSES
XXX-XXX-XXXX[/b]
Perhaps take it a step further and put a web address on the signs with a elementary landing page simply reading.....
"I don't have time to build a fancy website. I'm to busy buying houses. Call me at XXX-XXX-XXX." NOTHING ELSE-THAT'S IT
Any thoughts? Anyone want to volunteer to bail me out of jail the day after they go up? I'll pay you back, I'm good for it.
I'm so tired of hearing the "market is bad...blah blah blah." It's my lenders fault. Why didn't he tell me a $400k mortgage really isn't $900 a month. .....blah blah blah. Maybe this will help skip the small talk and get down to business. We know the market is bad but who cares I want to buy your house.
Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 619 posts · 75 votes
18y
So most people use Yellow. I saw one person say white with blue letters.
Anyone else have any luck doing test batches of other signs?
The proofs I got say:
:) Terry Buys :)
Scary Houses
866-###-BUYS
www.BaltimoreSellers.com
I put the small smiley faces on there to hopefully stick out a little more.
The proofs are white with blue, because they were the only "recycled mess up" signs they had available. I might switch it to yellow anyway and just pay the 60 extra bucks for non-recycled signs.
Real Estate Investor · Chester, VA · Member since 2008 · 41 posts · 1 vote
18y
the information you guys disclosed, is a great help to up newbies i just have one question know of any good quality low cost bandit sign companies ive been searching for the last few days do u guys have any ideas
Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
18y
Terry, since you're also located in Balto area, I'd be very cautious when using bandit signs - there is a reason you do not see them anymore on the intersaections....
Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
18y
Originally posted by "Wheatie":
sniper, care to share? Bandit signs get pulled down everywhere.
In Baltimore people are getting fined left and right for their signs.
Here is an article about what citizens do in some areas of city http://www.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=11696
Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
18y
I'm sure some would consider a $200 fine part of the "cost of doing business". And, like "Robert" in the article, its not always possible to even track down the person posting the signs. I'm not a fan of these, and don't use them. But clearly they do work or people wouldn't be putting them out.
I do call them and try to find out who's on the other end. They're a potential source of deals if the person putting them out is wholesaling. And, they usually are. I called one and actually got a person. I warned them they were nuts for putting their personal number on them.
Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 4 posts · 8 votes
18y
The color doesn't really matter. As long as the sign is clear and legible with not too many words, they will work. Try not to get caught up on the small things but know that everything is a test! Good luck!
Real Estate Investor · Chester, VA · Member since 2008 · 41 posts · 1 vote
18y
MR Holman what do u suggest for an newbie ? everywhere i see they calling newspaper ads, putting out signs, are the to best ways to get business i also heard that writing with markers instead of using ink helps attract more attention
Sacramento, CA · Member since 2008 · 46 posts · 3 votes
18y
Yeah, political campaign signs. Hmmph! That and "Make $100,000 a month working from home" and "Credit Repair Now". Seriously. Do the sign police just target real estate investors? Those other signs are out there still, but the investor bandit signs get taken down quick!
Real Estate Coach · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2008 · 80 posts · 5 votes
18y
I read a fascinating article one time by a lady...I think her name was Diane Roggow. She's a color psychologist and (that's a bonafide field) there seems to be a real psychological connection between the colors prospects see in advertising messages and the response rates of those ads.
Pastels seemed to generally be very effective for visually stimulating prospects, particularly yellow (more so when combined with black as I recall).
The reason is apparently because yellow is a psychologically calming color (for whatever reason). Conversely, red is the least effective ad color from a psychological viewpoint. The reason? Red raises blood pressure & is identified with danger. In essence, it's internalized as alarming, a negative emotion.
It grabs attention by stopping your heart and signals danger.
If this is true, pastel is the way to go, especially if you want to soothe someone's fears!