What to do with $300

What to do with $300

Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 112 posts · 31 votes

best use of $300:

100 bandit signs or as many postcards (direct mail) I can get for $300?

1Reply
127 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Mineola, NY · Member since 2014 · 838 posts · 212 votes
10y

@Arthur Fuller II Dont listen to unhelpful people. Take the $300 and mailers are a good option. You have a ton a low cost options also, like driving for dollars, join the local REIA, networking, and educating yourself.

Taking Action and making it happen are what you have to do, it doesn't matter if it is $300 or $3,000,000. How you use your time and money is better then anything. 

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    well, I would say work on a job or career that allows you to save more than 300 for investing. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 112 posts · 31 votes
    10y

    @Mark Ferguson 

    unhelpful

    (ʌnˈhɛlpfʊl)

    adj

    not serving a useful function
  • Investor · Neptune Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 143 posts · 172 votes
    10y
    Honestly, if you really have to ask this, you arent ready for investing. $300 wont cover hardly a fraction of anything in the real estate world. Keep saving and learning. My $0.02.
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Tracy D.:

    Honestly, if you really have to ask this, you arent ready for investing. $300 wont cover hardly a fraction of anything in the real estate world. Keep saving and learning. My $0.02.

     Just as Tracy said. There is much more to investing than sending out one mailing or bandit signs. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Arthur Fuller II:

    @Mark Ferguson 

    unhelpful

    (ʌnˈhɛlpfʊl)

    adj

    not serving a useful function

    You came here looking for advice. If you don't like it that's on you. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    I opened this thread because the very notion of asking what to do with $300.00 so totally blew me away, I half expected it to be just a jazzy catch line and not a serious question. 

    If this is a serious question for a person, than exactly as other seasoned persons stated your asking the wrong question because you have a serious funding problem that needs addressing 1st. So with that, what to do with $300.00, go to the library, book store, HERE, and study on how to truly get started and to raise funding capital, best ROI on $300.00 by far.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mineola, NY · Member since 2014 · 838 posts · 212 votes
    10y

    @Arthur Fuller II Dont listen to unhelpful people. Take the $300 and mailers are a good option. You have a ton a low cost options also, like driving for dollars, join the local REIA, networking, and educating yourself.

    Taking Action and making it happen are what you have to do, it doesn't matter if it is $300 or $3,000,000. How you use your time and money is better then anything. 

  • Property Manager · Griffith, IN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 913 votes
    10y

    To answer your question, I'll  ask you a question: what's your end goal? 

    If it's to find a property- I'd drive around and find a bunch of ugly or vacant houses and use the $300 for letters and postage.  That's 400 letters you can send out which is more than enough to get 2-3 deals. Obviously you need to know what you're doing which I'm not addressing here. But that's a very good option to find houses w so little a budget. 

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    10y

    8-10 lap dances

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y

    I'd do bandit signs in my target neighborhoods @Arthur Fuller II!  A DM campaign has a lot of variables and usually takes multiple rounds to be successful.  Prove 'em wrong and good luck!

  • Buffalo, NY · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    people are being way too critical of the OP. How do you know he only has $300 to invest? It's possible he has allocated $300 to either of the two options and isn't sure which one is worthwhile

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Saint Simons Island, GA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    Direct mailers, when you're targeting the right people with the right message, you're going to get much stronger results than a sign placed out, especially if you're in a "sign heavy" area advertising all sorts of junk.
  • Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2015 · 137 posts · 36 votes
    10y

    Personally I would spend a small advertising budget on bandits. 1 bandit could get 100's or even maybe 10,000 views (before it gets removed or vandalized). However 1 postcard = 1 view. Just my opinion

  • Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 35 votes
    10y

    Man, people on here are extremely negative. For those that say things like "You shouldn't even be thinking of investing in real estate" just in case you're unaware some people are having a hard time financially everyone isn't born with a silver spoon in their mouth or even middle class. 

    To answer the question: Bandit signs! Get some bandit signs, put up the We buy houses sign maybe do a Wholesale deal or 2, you never know until you try. 

    There seems to be 2 types of people on bigger pockets: the ones who are trying to change their lives and hope to find ways to make money without making a large up front investment and the people who already have the money and connections and despise anyone trying to come from the bottom, they slander Wholesalers and anything creative that doesn't require you to have 5 figures to readily invest. Lol, gotta love it. 

    The mentality reminds me of how you have to be an "accredited" investor (basically filthy rich) to invest in things like an equity position in a start-up which could produce an enormous return especially if they went public although not likely (yes I know!). They say the reason the rich can invest is because they can assume the risk and won't lose it all, but name one person who got rich or "made it" that DIDN'T take substantial risk....I'll wait. It's part of the game! 

    The best opportunities seem to go to the ones that need it the least and people don't want to see the little guy come up. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 112 posts · 31 votes
    10y

    @Adrien C. my end goal is simply to get the phone ringing. I've been driving and sending letters to abandon or boarded up homes but wanted to try something else. 

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2015 · 125 posts · 50 votes
    10y
    If you're comparing 100 bandit signs to 300 postcards, bandit signs win every time at those numbers. 98% of People will trash the postcards but the bandit signs will be seen by thousands for weeks. 100 might actually be overkill. But you'll definitely get more calls with the signs
  • Coon Rapids, MN · Member since 2015 · 67 posts · 23 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Adrien C.:

    To answer your question, I'll  ask you a question: what's your end goal? 

    If it's to find a property- I'd drive around and find a bunch of ugly or vacant houses and use the $300 for letters and postage.  That's 400 letters you can send out which is more than enough to get 2-3 deals. Obviously you need to know what you're doing which I'm not addressing here. But that's a very good option to find houses w so little a budget. 

    This is where I'm starting. I hope my perseverance pays off.... 

  • Investor · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 568 posts · 966 votes
    10y

    @Arthur Fuller II If your budget is $300. I would split that between bandit signs and gas money to drive for dollars

  • Realtor and Investor · North Hollywood, CA · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 25 votes
    10y
    He didn't say he ONLY had 300.00. He said what is the best use for 300.00 bandit signs or post cards... We are a community of helping others not a place to slander anyone. As investors we should have a good listening ear and not just look at things face value. I would say bandit signs .. in LA we drive often and signs are a great.
  • Specialist · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 227 posts · 158 votes
    10y

    I'm surprised by how negative some of these answers are and how weak sauce other answers are. 

    Please don't go out and buy bandit signs without having a plan or a team. You'll only frustrate yourself if you do happen to get a deal and it'll may slip through your hands because you don't have a team or a plan of attack. Save your money for now.  

    First, congratulation on having 300 dollars saved up for real estate. I start with much less and bought some really nice pieces. 

    If I were you, I wouldn't focus on investing the $300 dollars right away. I would focus on building a great team including yourself, a top-notch RE attorney, a couple of solid investors and start building up a bird dog team to search and find deals. 

    Use the money to buy yourself some nice business cards and use the money for lunch dates and investment club meeting. 

    Once you built your team, go and create a no brainer of a great deal. This will show your investors that you are serious and you know what you're doing. Let me say that again, make absolutely sure the first deal you bring them is a one question IQ test, slam dunk of a deal!    After that you will have your investors ear the next time you come to them and you will be able to leverage that deal to sell your next one to other investors. 

    You may end up spending $150 in expenses and the other $150 on the consideration on your first deal. 

    That's what I would do with $300.

    I hope this helps and good luck!

  • Wholesaler · Beaverton, OR · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    Some people can be so ugh sometimes. I'm in a similar position not much money but the drive and heart to make it happen. I took my last 500 bucks bought a list of 300 absentee owners and mailed out 300 letters personal printed and signed by me. Its important who you target also good luck man'

  • Buffalo, NY · Member since 2015 · 252 posts · 109 votes
    10y

    If you do choose to use the money for bandit signs, make sure they are allowed/will not be taken down quickly where you put them.  These "we buy houses" signs have a total lifespan of about 6 hours in my suburban neighborhood.  They don't like anything stapled to the posts around here!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I can see why people would see my answer as negative on its own. However my point was to help the op out. I did not give my original answer because I think it is impossible to to do a deal with $300 or I wanted to keep someone "down". Anyone who knows me knows that is the furthest from the truth. 

    My response was based mostly on a lack of information from the op. If he can't take the time to write more than two sentences descricibing where he is at, what his plans are, what his goals are and what he has done so far. How can any of us give an accurate response to his question? 

  • Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 112 posts · 31 votes
    10y

    Thank you for all of your replies. I've done some reading (that I probably should have done before the post) and now know its illegal to post bandit signs in LA. so I've decided on another use for my $300.... I will get a RE license. (Buy the course, and take the test....)

    I think it will help immensely in the long run. 

  • Specialist · Sibley, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 190 votes
    10y

    @Arthur Fuller II If you don't have a good plan of attack for direct mial then don't waste your money. Best route for you will be the bandit signs which will give you calls directly from those neighbhoods. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.