How to Locate Abandoned House Owner

How to Locate Abandoned House Owner

Pasadena, CA · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 9 votes

I've located a house that is boarded and appears to be abandoned. I checked with the county recorder’s office and got the name and address of the owner, but the mailing address is the same as the abandoned house.

Does anyone know how I can find a mailing address or other contact information for the owner of the abandoned house?

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Bonnie LasloPro Member
Real Estate Consultant · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 27 votes
10y

If you know their name, you can look them up on Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. The neighbors are good too, let the neighbors know you have some $$$ for the past owners :) Which is true if they accept your offer to buy right! lol Sometimes you have to get creative. Also look up their name in property appraiser/tax record they might own other property too. So you might get a different address there.

You can also search they name on Secretary of state under corporations/LLC etc as an agent or member. I've found contact info there too. Still ..... send a letter to the address you have, it might be getting forwarded to another address. Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investment Attorney · Kingsville, MD · Member since 2016 · 643 posts · 408 votes
    10y

    @Charlotte Moore

    Charlotte,

        Find yourself a good private investigator. It usually doesn't cost you much and the info provided to you can be very quick. Good luck. It has worked for me many times.

    Rich Baer, Esq.

  • Pasadena, CA · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Rich Baer. I will look into a PI. I've found a few houses in my area that I will likely need his/her help finding the owners. If I establish a relationship with the PI, maybe I can get a break on price.

  • Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2013 · 144 posts · 73 votes
    10y
    where does the tax bill get sent? Does anybody stop by to pick up the mail? The neighbors might know...
  • Pasadena, CA · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Troy Gravett. I'm not sure about he tax bill or mail, but I will find out. I know the front yard is being cut by someone, but I never see by whom. So far I've just driven by without actually going up to the door. I'm going to go up to the door and leave a note this week, so I will find out whether the mail is being picked up. 

  • Bonnie LasloPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    If you know their name, you can look them up on Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. The neighbors are good too, let the neighbors know you have some $$$ for the past owners :) Which is true if they accept your offer to buy right! lol Sometimes you have to get creative. Also look up their name in property appraiser/tax record they might own other property too. So you might get a different address there.

    You can also search they name on Secretary of state under corporations/LLC etc as an agent or member. I've found contact info there too. Still ..... send a letter to the address you have, it might be getting forwarded to another address. Good luck!

  • Property Manager · Griffith, IN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 913 votes
    10y

    I've used Intelius in the past to look up people. A simple google search with their name and the town reveals a lot. Also - go talk to neighbors and let them know you are trying to track down the owner to make an offer to buy the house. I rarely have a neighbor not share info with me. They want the house sold and fixed up as much as you do. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I always recommend that you first check the financial and legal status of the property. Are you prepared to do a short sale if the property is under water? Most boarded and vacant houses in my market are under water and require a short sale. To do one successfully and smoothly you have to have a system and team in place. Perhaps the bank recently took the property and you really have to wait until it's listed with an agent? Maybe the fact that the bank took the property is not showing up on tax records yet.  I strongly advocated finding out what's going on with the property and why has it's vacant. This will give you an edge on how to deal with the owner and what to say once you find them.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Hi i am new but i know other investor have use skip trace, have not myself but i think there is a fee let us know good luck.

  • Pasadena, CA · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will give them a try and see what happens.

  • Investor · west seneca, NY · Member since 2014 · 376 posts · 211 votes
    10y

    hi charlotte. i have never used a PI to locate someone, but i have several different methods i have used. first, find out if they own anymore properties in the area, even if it is a rental. they may have a tenant or 2 that would send you to where you can find them. second, check the local newspaper for obituaries. if they have passed away, the obituaries always lists the surviving relatives. find them, one of them will be in charge of the estate. also, call the local hospitals and jails, they may be in there as well. lastly, knock on neighbors doors. every neighborhood has the local " busy body" that knows everything about everyone. find them!!!!!........lol. good luck to you

  • Pasadena, CA · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    @mark elliott those are interesting ways of finding someone. I will add them to my list.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.