Finding a Lawyer & CPA in Minneapolis area

Finding a Lawyer & CPA in Minneapolis area

Rental Property Investor · Savage, MN · Member since 2016 · 202 posts · 61 votes

Hi Everyone!

This one goes out to my local Minnesotans. I am looking for both a lawyer and CPA with real estate experience in the Minneapolis area. 

My current Lawyer that I used to help me draft my lease agreement for my first property has some real estate experience with lease agreements and tenant disputes, but I am looking for a lawyer to help comb over my LLC that was created and to further my investing strategy to ensure I am as protected as I can be.

I am also working with a CPA that has a little real estate experience in that he now has two rental units, however I am looking for a CPA that specializes in the real estate field and perhaps knows more of the business rather than dabbles in it if that makes any sense.  

Both gentlemen were referred to me by a fellow friend investor, however he is not in the same market as I am, with Single Family Home's, and content not obtaining any more properties. Don't get me wrong, these guys are professional and really nice to work with, I am just looking for professionals that perhaps specialize in the field. Does anyone have any recommendations they can share for said professionals they have used, or use within the metro or south metro? 

Thank you in advance for your time!

0Reply
11 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    Alexander - I'm an attorney. I also have some other attny/acct referrals - message me. People tend to get wrapped-up in form over substance and over-complicate the issue of "protection." It doesn't matter how well the LLC agreement is drafted if you don't respect the corporate form, run personal expenses through it, under fund it, establish it in a weak jurisdiction, etc. Just having an 'LLC' or tweaking some words isn't magic . The magic is in operations. If you run your LLC like a business, keep it funded, take minutes, and tack on a personal umbrella policy, you've done what you can. Now focus on making money.

    Also, it's good to rely on experts, but I recommend you learn as much as you can about both the legal and tax sides - there are a lot of 'experts' who just became 'experts' when you contacted them. Knowlege helps you weed those types out. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Savage, MN · Member since 2016 · 202 posts · 61 votes
    10y

    Hi @Carl Petterson, thank you for the recommendation.  I will message you and maybe we can discuss my future ideas and plans. Thanks again for the insight!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.