Need creative ideas for a 9 Acre lot in Simi Valley W/ Views

Need creative ideas for a 9 Acre lot in Simi Valley W/ Views

Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2012 · 53 posts · 11 votes

I have listed an 8.9 Acre parcel in Simi Valley with amazing views over looking the valley. Its currently listed at only $450K, but I have not been able to connect with a developer who would entertain the project. The property has been owned by my family for a long time, so I have a vested interest in either getting it sold, or coming up with a creative business venture utilizing the land.

SO what's the problem? The property slopes up a hill, and Simi Valley decided to create the "Hillside Performance Standards" that regulates that you cant build on grades over 20%..... We dont have a survey, but I would guess that less than 50% of the lot is sloping over 20%. Secondly, there needs to have a road graded and paved off for access. (road runs along side of lot).

So Im thinking a developer could probably build 8-9 custom home lots... (havent found him yet) There is a nearby development (big sky) with large tract homes that sell for $800-1M, so custom 1 Acre lots would have a premium.

Other than that, what are your creative ideas? Anyone have experience with "hillside performance standards"? 

Grow a crop? Camp Grounds? Park? Oh wait, I like this one.... Zip Lines.... We'll utilize that slope :)

0Reply
13 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 105 posts · 31 votes
    10y

    @Tyler H. I like the zipline idea too, like to see it on Google Earth.

  • Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2012 · 53 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    You can see it here

  • New to Real Estate · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 105 posts · 31 votes
    10y

    Yeah, I know it go to the shopping center to eat...always look up at the property...nice one! City really screwed up with that zoning...damn-it!

  • Moorpark, CA · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    Hi Tyler, have you made any progress on this project? I am just curious because I took a look at the Simi Valley General Plan and you might have a density issue to get the number of lots you mentioned if the portions below 20% are still in the 10-20% range. I'm a land use planner myself with a focus on the Santa Monica Mountains (you should try our Hillside Development Standards!) so might be able to help out with some general comments.

  • Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2012 · 53 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    Actually I just sold the parcel. The buyer will be subdividing into 2 lots and building custom homes. They took the time to do proper due diligence and had a civil engineer look at the entire project. They were told it will probably take 1-2 years just to get through planning! It will take some work, but the buyers got a BARGAIN price, and when they are all done they are going to have multi-million dollar estates.

    Looking back, not sure how many lots would have been possible with all the restrictions....

  • Moorpark, CA · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    Great! Sounds about right with the 1 unit per 4 acres within the 10-20% listed in the General Plan. 1-2 years for a subdivision isn't too bad for California if they are out of the Coastal zone and other special use zones. If they are looking for a company to handle the planning process do let me know, I might be able to help.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.