Making Offers - My Seller Just Isn't Motivated

Making Offers - My Seller Just Isn't Motivated

Goshen, KY · Member since 2009 · 835 posts · 683 votes

Making Offers. What If My Seller Isn’t A Motivated Seller?

Sellers; now they’re a funny bunch of folks.

Like most real estate investors, I talk to a lot of sellers as a result of my marketing. And, they always have a story to tell. One of the first things you learn as a real estate investor is that you need to pull up a chair, grab your coffee and prepare to listen without interrupting. Now I am the first to admit, that this can be tough to do at times. Some folks want to enlighten you on the family history for the last 100 years. But at some point, they will tell you how much they need to sell the house.

When you ask them what repairs need to be done on the house, they will give you a list of things. However, when you ask them “What repairs and upgrades would you do if you were going to live in the house� Well, then they will give you a much longer list. It is just part of the process. It’s actually kind of funny that the kitchen and bath didn’t need to be upgraded until they were going to have to live in the house.

At some point in the conversation I will usually ask the seller if they have considered doing the necessary repairs before selling the property. I remind them that they would probably be able to sell the house for a lot more money. They always tell me that it just costs too much for them to do the work. Usually they will also admit that they just don’t want to do that much work. The sellers already know that it is going to be very costly and time consuming to renovate the house; that is until you give them a low offer to buy the house “as isâ€. It is at that moment, that everything takes less time and costs less to repair or renovate.

So what do we do? Part of what I do is let them absorb the information while I continue the conversation. I listen to their objections; I listen to their stories. Even though they understand intellectually what you are saying, their emotions take over. We all want as much for our properties as we can get out of them. These folks are no different. As a real estate investor, most days I feel like I am half investor and half counselor. When the conversation is no longer going forward, I usually tell them to take some time and think about my offer, and I let them know when they can expect me to check in with them.

One thing you need to remember is that just because they aren’t a motivated seller today, that doesn’t mean they won’t become a motivated seller in the future. Circumstances change for everyone over time. I used to take these folks off my mailing list when they wanted too much for the house, but I don’t do that any more. It may be that they need to hear this same “low offer†from a couple of real estate investors before it really sinks in. Or, maybe a little time just needs to pass before they become a truly motivated seller. It really doesn’t matter. What does matter is that if you are the only person that follows up with them in periodically it’s likely that you will be the one that ends up with the house.

Sure, they may find someone that will pay them more for the house. That’s always a risk. But if you are a savvy real estate investor, that’s OK. Hopefully part of what you have learned is when to walk away from what would become a “marginal deal†if you raised your offer.

12Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
16y

Sharon, good points! The only thing you might have left out was the justifications the seller might use to ask for the higher price. Like, we need to pay off our charge cards, pay off our car and send our daughter to college next year. Then have to tell them their house didn't make the charges, it didn't buy the car and it did not have your daughter!

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    16y

    Sharon, good points! The only thing you might have left out was the justifications the seller might use to ask for the higher price. Like, we need to pay off our charge cards, pay off our car and send our daughter to college next year. Then have to tell them their house didn't make the charges, it didn't buy the car and it did not have your daughter!

  • Real Estate Investor · Southfield, MI · Member since 2010 · 47 posts · 43 votes
    16y

    I like the thought as well Sharon. While the process of listening to the story can be tedious at times, investors need to realize that is the best time to gain valuable information about what the clients hot buttons are. Put the client's needs first and solve their problem and they will let you guide them down the path you want them to take. The only way to know how to solve someones problem is by learning what it REALLY is, not neccessarily what they tell you it is.
    The other great point you made is, know when to walk away. Follow up with them down the road and they will be impressed with you (nobody follows up) it shows you are thinking about them. Everyone likes to be thought of!

  • Goshen, KY · Member since 2009 · 835 posts · 683 votes
    16y

    @financexaminer - Don't they just have some excuses! Your answer is just exactly what I really want to say to them (but can't of course).

    @Ryan - So true. You need to know what they really want.

    After making an offer where the seller seems to have some reservations, at times I have simply asked them what would make the deal work for them. Surprisingly it is often less than you might think.

    I might be thinking they just want a higher price (thousands more) and they may say, "I want $1000 to move" or "I owe $850.00 in back taxes". Sometimes it is as simple as paying their closing costs which only amount to a few hundred dollars. It definitely pays to dig deep and know what they really need out of the deal.

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    16y

    Sharon, this is one of the best posts on dealing with house sellers I have ever read! First, I want to compliment you on your patience and technique. Successfully dealing with residential sellers is more of a people business than an anayltical business, which is one of the reasons I stay away from residential. I just don't have the people skills neccessary to compete with you!

    If an investor progresses into larger commercial deals, the personal skills , while still important, take on much less importance than in dealing with the home owner. The buyers and sellers of commercial property tend to be more objective and less emotional, although you will come across exceptions!

    You sound like you enjoy your participation in real estate investing and are obviously good at it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Goshen, KY · Member since 2009 · 835 posts · 683 votes
    16y

    Hi Don -

    Working with sellers of single family homes, is definitely more of a challenge than commercial real estate. You hit the nail right on the head. They are emotional. Very emotional! But when all is said and done, I do love it inspite of all the frustation.

    I looked at a house a couple of days ago that was a probate situation. The 92 year old seller had walked out the front door and just died on the sidewalk. After looking at the house, I decided she walked out the door (to die) so that she wouldn't risk never being found in that mess.

    The attorney told me that the house would be a "complete gut". There had been no updates in 50-60 years, no repairs done in many years, and they had already removed 4 jumbo dumpsters of junk, clothes and trash. She was like one of those hoarders on TV. There were still piles of stuff about 4 feet high. We had to "rake" the clothes off the stairs so that we could get to the second floor.

    By my estimation there were at least 4-5 dumpsters of stuff still left in the house. The attorney also told me the seller had a cat, but it was never found. Yuck!

    In spite of the condition of the house, it was in a good neighborhood. I submitted an offer to him that included finishing the clean out of the house. Suddenly he got all emotionial just lke he was the seller. He was very quick to tell me that he would present the offer, but he was sure the seller wouldn't accept that offer. This is the guy that told me it was going to cost a fortune to fix the house.

    I thanked him for his time and recapped all of the repairs needed. I told him to call me if they reconsidered.

  • Residential Loan Officer · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2010 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    16y

    Great post on sellers sharon

    People are definately not rational beings most of the time and especially when dealing with the sale of their home. To them it is not just property but part of who they are, especially if they have lived there for a while.

    I think its good that you follow up because that is a great way to build repoire with a potential seller and if they end up lowering their price they will be more apt to deal with you because they have ytalked to you several times

  • Homeowner · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2010 · 123 posts · 66 votes
    16y

    Good post. This just really helps me in knowing that I can't purchase properties that way. I don't have the patience. I blank out of conversations way too easily. Thanks for sharing Sharon.

  • Goshen, KY · Member since 2009 · 835 posts · 683 votes
    16y

    @Elisha - Don't give up. It just takes practice.

  • Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2010 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    Kudos on the post Sharon. Extremely helpful. :cool:

    Your advice works and has consequentially, I am now meeting with a seller I contacted over 2 months ago. He still hasn't sold his house, even when shown comps in his area that were -80k of his asking price. Needless to say he is now open to allowing me to infuse some creative financing to get his house sold on terms instead of price.

    win/win!

  • Goshen, KY · Member since 2009 · 835 posts · 683 votes
    15y

    Way to go Jonny! I have gotten houses time and time again just because I was the one that kept following up and didn't give up.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.