100 Bandit Signs out...Not oooone call.

100 Bandit Signs out...Not oooone call.

Real Estate Investor · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2009 · 94 posts · 124 votes

I've read through the forum and I don't think I've come across any threads where someone has had a 0% response rate.

My sign was a basic 18x24, yellow sign with black lettering:

WE BUY HOUSES
xxx-xxx-xxxx

Placed at major intersections in 3 different areas. This was 5 days ago.

Is there anything I can do if competition is picking up my signs?

I ask because I hired others to put the signs out late Friday night (actually they decided on 12-2 am). I checked for the signs on Sat. morning to make sure they were put out as specified. Many locations were without signs.

I asked my help about it and they were adimant about where the signs were placed and I believe them.

I received a call from another wholesaler who said he was "returning my call". (I never called him). He's the main/only competition as far as signs are concerned.

I found myself saying hmmm...I can't help but to wonder.

Furthermore, I'm meeting with him in the am, per his invite, to talk about properties we both have and simply put faces to voices.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to how to relay skepticism without accusing? I just want to send a strong message because I am using the last of my marketing dollars over the next couple of months. I'm prepared to have them pulled up on Monday by code enforcement. Not by competition hrs after they're put out
:nono:

1Reply
119 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2009 · 66 posts · 19 votes
15y

It's Not What You Ask, It's How You Ask It....
Dear Mr. Wholesaler, Someone Has Been Taking Down My Signs...Have You Been Having Any Problems With Someone Removing Your Signs... Then Sit Back Watch His Reactions and Answer...

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Seminole, FL · Member since 2010 · 859 posts · 316 votes
    15y

    I have never put out bandit signs to get sellers. But I have read here that those signs pull a lot less than for sale bandit signs.

    But your problem sounds different. In those locations you saw your signs missing, did you see some of his signs? I would look for the next few weekends in those areas.

    That being said, networking with wholesalers is not a bad idea. Depending on your current investing strategy, it could be better than bandit signs!

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2009 · 66 posts · 19 votes
    15y

    It's Not What You Ask, It's How You Ask It....
    Dear Mr. Wholesaler, Someone Has Been Taking Down My Signs...Have You Been Having Any Problems With Someone Removing Your Signs... Then Sit Back Watch His Reactions and Answer...

  • Real Estate Investor · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2009 · 94 posts · 124 votes
    15y

    Jimmy, I agree about networking with other wholesalers. While out Sat morning, I looked for other signs, but not his specifically. Yes, other signs were out. I didn't think of him until I got the weird call days later.

    Robert, I like your suggestion. I might do just that since I didn't get a chance to meet with him this morning.

    Thx!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 59 posts · 23 votes
    15y

    Umm... do you have the wrong number on it? I can't imagine your competition is taking them down. If he's hung bandits he knows they won't last long. Sometimes only a day but you WILL be getting calls.

    I can't imagine putting out 100 at once. I would need 2-3 lines. When I put out 15 I'll often get calls while I'm on the phone with another caller. I mainly stick with exit ramps and a few large intersections.

    Best bet is your help is BSing you. I mean who would decide he's going to do it on Friday night? Maybe he said that because he knew you wouldn't be checking on him.
    You want them to stay? Google for hangers. Sign hangers, or sledges. I actually use a hanger that uses a stapler but they come down and I can't figure out how. I get them up to 10' high sometimes. If you put 2 big nails in it 10' high you wouldn't be able to knock it down without a ladder.

  • Real Estate Investor · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2009 · 94 posts · 124 votes
    15y

    Thanks for the input Donovan.

    Double-checked the number...it's correct.

    Is the good response you get from buyer bandits or seller bandits? My response rate for the last deal I had (buyer bandits) was almost 150%.

    I thought about that possibility (help not doing what I'm paying to do) but my help is actually the small business who makes the signs. They put out signs for many people/companies.

    Them taking the signs and reusing them crossed my mind. Then I thought: If I don't get a decent response, they will lose my business because I'll choose another means of advertising, so I dismissed it. But they may profit better by taking them back vs. losing my business.

    Anyway, I tried again with 25 signs and asked for them to send pics. They did...1 response.

  • Real Estate Coach · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2010 · 29 posts · 16 votes
    15y

    I would recommend that you switch up your Bandit sign marketing style. We are having a ton of success with our 18x24 hand written signs. The only thing you have on your sign is WE BUY HOUSES and a #. You need to add a USP(Unique selling proposition and CTA(Call to Action) Like Any Area Any Condition/Call Now then the number. Buy some blank bandit signs. If you need some go to www.fellers.com also if you put out 100 all at once that is very hard to track I recommend 25 a week 100 month very easy to track so if someone is taking down your signs you know exactly where they were and if another wholesaler or investor's went up that's most likely your guy!

  • Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 619 posts · 75 votes
    15y

    Consistency is key. Mix it up, but keep going with the ACTION.

    Also, you may want to look into a pay as you go phone.
    People have run into serious issues, and it's no fun. I have seen it first hand.

  • Real Estate Investor · Select a State · Member since 2010 · 79 posts · 17 votes
    15y

    You might want to try different types of ads in various places. If you know the area where you want to "farm for a deal", think who are the people who most likely would like to sell their property to you. Where do they go? What do they read? Where would they look if they are considering selling their beloved home?
    Is there a free newspaper where you could place an ad just to see if this gets more attention?

    At major intersections is good for reaching out for everybody in the area, but you are more interested in your target group.

  • Real Estate Investor · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2009 · 94 posts · 124 votes
    15y

    Really good advice guys, thanks!

    Marecel, I've read many posts on wording for bandit signs and the consenses has been to keep it simple...2 lines. However, I will switch it up a bit after a couple more wks if I continue to get a dismal response.

    Terry, are you suggesting a "pay as you go phone' to avoid code enforcement or does it somehow relate to my low resposne rate?

    Silver, I have to agree...100 signs is evident that I'm not doing a good job of targeting.

    I put out 25 signs last wknd and received 2 decent leads so far, so here's to hoping!

  • Full-Time Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    glad you're getting some calls, but make sure they're real leads and youre not just getting excited abuot calls....when i put out signs, i usually have to take at least 50 calls before an actual deal is presented

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Louisville, KY · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Maybe the problem is BANDIT SIGNS ARE ILLEGAL in most areas and they are a blight on your own neighborhoods.

    Why do you guys want to break the law when you do business?

    Doesn't matter if it works...doesn't matter if everyone else is doing it...doesn't matter if some guru recommends it...doesn't matter if you think the law is dumb.

    Bottom line is you are conducting business illegally.

  • Investor · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2009 · 118 posts · 43 votes
    15y

    invmatchmaker,
    Can you post those pics of the signs they sent you? Post them here and maybe we'll have some comments based on the sign design, and the location on the corner.

    Something is definitely wrong with this picture.

  • Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    15y

    I think bandit signs have gotten a lot of negative publicity and some people are now associating these signs with predators looking to steal a house....

  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2011 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    I have had signs removed by a variety of different people/sources. Local business owners, borough/township "police", kids, competition, etc., so it could be one or a combination of them.

  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2010 · 34 posts · 5 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by chillgate28:
    I have had signs removed by a variety of different people/sources. Local business owners, borough/township "police", kids, competition, etc., so it could be one or a combination of them.

    Not long ago I saw an old man wearing a superman tshirt get out of his truck (loaded with bandit sings) to pick up the I BUY HOMES sign at a busy intersection.. HE WAS ON A MISSION.. he even parked illegally as if he was the police.. These guys have forums and post about their adventures when patrolling the neighborhoods looking for bandit signs. They laugh at the bandit signs owners and they attempt to get them in trouble or fined .. it was hilarious to see that old man doing this.. and also made me aware I won't be doing this anytime soon in my area :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    15y

    Came across this article - http://www2.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=18429
    Special HELLO goes to Terry Royce (posted earlier in this thread) whose sign has been featured in the article (second from the left) :mrgreen:

  • Goshen, KY · Member since 2009 · 835 posts · 683 votes
    15y

    I think some areas have a bigger problem with Bandit Signs than others. People in my area don't seem to mind the handwritten signs nearly as much as printed ones. You can always use a free Google Voice number on the signs. I personally don't put out more than 35 at a time. It's just too costly and it takes too much time to do that every weekend. I also don't put them in neighborhoods and other places where homeowners will get angry.

    I have great success selling houses with the handwritten signs. I have never had a complaint and the signs stay up a long time.

    If a "tall man on a ladder" puts up the signs it's harder for the average person to get them down. I have had both the "sign police" and other investors take my signs down.

  • Real Estate Investor · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2009 · 94 posts · 124 votes
    15y

    Superman removing signs?

    My mom is wondering what she might do during her retirement because she won't have anything to do. Maybe I'll recommend this! (in her city, not mine, ofcourse).

  • near Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2011 · 78 posts · 33 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by George P.:
    I think bandit signs have gotten a lot of negative publicity and some people are now associating these signs with predators looking to steal a house....

    Yes, the local news in my area did an expose about people wanting to steal homes and they talked about these signs - warning homeowners to not call anyone "from blind signs on the corner."

  • Real Estate Investor · Honey Brook, PA · Member since 2011 · 33 posts · 6 votes
    15y

    Bandit signs are the best...don't tell my competition that :). I use the signs to advertise my Stump Removal business and for Real Estate. I get more calls from the signs than almost all my other forms of advertising combined. It concerns me that some "Uppity" people might not call me because they don't like my signs, well, whose to say they would ever had heard of my business otherwise? At least they may now remember the name "STUMPINATOR.COM". Bad press is better than no press. For those who say don't do it, it's illegal, or, it's not right, I say do whatever you have to do to make money, as long as you're not hurting anyone. It's illegal to park in the fire zone at home depot, but we all do it. If it's not being enforced by the city or townships, then they must not care enough about it.

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    15y

    Bandit signs are sort of old school. Too many problems with city officials. I would look to the local city councilman for the one takin your signs down. I really don't think your competition would take the time to remove your signs, and if he or she did, then they are not much competition to begin with!

  • Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2010 · 23 posts · 32 votes
    15y

    This has proved to be an interesting read. I have always been curious about the success of these "bandit signs".

    To echo what several other posters have said, I would be more conscious of local law enforcement, civic associations, or other groups whose sole mission is to constantly keep up with the removal of these types of signs.

  • Real Estate Investor · Dubliln, OH · Member since 2011 · 30 posts · 9 votes
    15y

    Oh no more signs - Signs Signs ever where a sign

    I tried the sighs once, everyone probably has, after 5 hours of that I got sick of it and Bought a 1 ton truck with a 12 foot box on the back, guess what I put on it...

    And I got a lot of calls from that truck and secured a lot of deals...

  • Real Estate Investor · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2009 · 94 posts · 124 votes
    15y

    Rob & Liam,

    If it was during the week that they were removed, I would have to concur. But it was about 8 hrs after they were put out, on a Sat morning...confusing!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Seminole, FL · Member since 2010 · 859 posts · 316 votes
    15y

    Gotta put out your own signs. Its easy to do, and then you know its done right.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.