Would you buy a 4-unit apt building w. only 1bed units(Edgewater)

Would you buy a 4-unit apt building w. only 1bed units(Edgewater)

Rental Property Investor · White Plains, NY · Member since 2018 · 348 posts · 86 votes

An investor friend of mine offered to sell me his vacant four unit 1-bedroom building.  All the tenants moved out and he fixed each unit up. He and his wife want to get out of the landlording business, and asked me if I'd like to buy it.  I'd normally jump, but I've owned 1-bedroom units before, and granted, it wasn't Edgewater, NJ, but it was other areas which seemed hard to fill.  the price is 1.2m for the four unit building as well

1Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Sandra AndrewsPro Member
Investor · Member since 2020 · 35 posts · 16 votes
4y

I wouldn't be afraid of the fact that the building only has 1-bedroom units, assuming the location is good.  If you are within walking distance to restaurants and shops, then 1 bedroom apartments are very attractive to young professionals.  I have a few myself and I've found them to be very easy to lease.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    An investor friend of mine offered to sell me his vacant four unit 1-bedroom building.  All the tenants moved out and he fixed each unit up. He and his wife want to get out of the landlording business, and asked me if I'd like to buy it.  I'd normally jump, but I've owned 1-bedroom units before, and granted, it wasn't Edgewater, NJ, but it was other areas which seemed hard to fill.  the price is 1.2m for the four unit building as well


    What is the rent income? Expenses? What would it sell for on the open market? Too many questions.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    I have sold over 30 million of 2-4 units and seen many patterns. 1brs in C class areas are awful you will have high turnover, vacancy, etc. But 1br in class A/B+ areas are great you get single professionals and professional couples who pay on time no issues and often pay rents very close to the price of 2brs. They also tend to be lower vacancy as less supply of 1brs other then the high end new construction 1brs which tend to be very pricey. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    Income is $8,800 but expenses are $6,400. Assuming you've included setting aside funds for reserve, vacancy, maintenance, capex, taxes, insurance, etc., then I would say it's worth considering. That's positive cash flow of at least $200 per unit.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Sandra AndrewsPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 35 posts · 16 votes
    4y

    I wouldn't be afraid of the fact that the building only has 1-bedroom units, assuming the location is good.  If you are within walking distance to restaurants and shops, then 1 bedroom apartments are very attractive to young professionals.  I have a few myself and I've found them to be very easy to lease.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.