An affordable property manager/ live-in super for a NY unit

An affordable property manager/ live-in super for a NY unit

Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 3 votes

I have one a unit rented out in a multi family brownstone in Brooklyn, NY. I’m looking for someone to just be a resource to address emergency issues while I’m out of town. For example, the power tripped and the tenant is in the dark. I need someone to be available to stop by and go in the basement to reset the panel.

Any recommendations for how to find someone? I also have a unit available that I can offer a great deal on if the person is interested in living there.

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Kevin PaulkPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 219 posts · 174 votes
3y

@Kiah Husbands I would start by reaching out to the neighbors on the block and ask them who is there go to handy man. Usually one or two names will come up that service the majority of the neighborhood. Works great because that handyman is either always around or possible lives on the block. 

Good Luck,

By the way, where in Brooklyn is the property located ?

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2021 · 31 posts · 21 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kiah Husbands:

    I have one a unit rented out in a multi family brownstone in Brooklyn, NY. I’m looking for someone to just be a resource to address emergency issues while I’m out of town. For example, the power tripped and the tenant is in the dark. I need someone to be available to stop by and go in the basement to reset the panel.

    Any recommendations for how to find someone? I also have a unit available that I can offer a great deal on if the person is interested in living there.

    Hey Kiah!

    I'm a real estate agent in Brooklyn. If you need help renting out your units I would love to connect.
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kiah Husbands:

    Have you looked into a property management company? They can often pay for themselves by reducing vacancy, keeping you at market rate, nipping problems in the bud before they cost you money, and more.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Kevin PaulkPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 219 posts · 174 votes
    3y

    @Kiah Husbands I would start by reaching out to the neighbors on the block and ask them who is there go to handy man. Usually one or two names will come up that service the majority of the neighborhood. Works great because that handyman is either always around or possible lives on the block. 

    Good Luck,

    By the way, where in Brooklyn is the property located ?

  • Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    @Dor Sagi Thanks, fortunately I haven't had any issues renting out units. But will keep you in mind for future if needed.

    @Nathan Gesner I haven't yet. I did learn that they pay for themselves, but the cost of managing just one unit may not be in my benefit for the moment. But if you have any in mind that service Brooklyn, NY for 4 family homes please let me know!

    @Kevin Paulk Thanks, that makes sense! I'll see what I find out. And its located in Bedstuy off Nostrand.

  • Developer · Brooklyn NY · Member since 2019 · 68 posts · 91 votes
    3y

    Kiah,

    I agree with @Kevin Paulk, I would find the neighborhood handyman, every area of NYC has known people that do the trash/light super duties for the surrounding blocks.  I know when I had someone coming twice a week to do trash on multi family, it was very reasonable, around $125 a month.  These people will gladly be on call for your tenants, you could have an arrangement, where you pay them each time they have to visit the property for an emergency, maybe $100 a call.  Also, they tend to know all the local vendors that people use, painters, electricians, plumbers, etc.  Best of luck!

  • Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    @Account Closed Thank you!

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    @Kiah Husbands best bet is a PMC, but they may charge more because short-term contract, just like more rent is charged for STR.

  • Brandon CohenPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 160 posts · 45 votes
    3y

    Id go with the advice on hear, ask around the block.  I’d also walk into the nearest condo and ask to speak with the super…he’ll likely either want some east side work or know someone who does.  Good luck 

  • Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    @Drew Sygit PMC is definitely the goal in the future when I have more units to manage.

    @Brandon Cohen Word of mouth seems to be the consensus. So I'll give it a try first.

    Appreciate all the suggestions.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.