Stessa Pro -- Pay for features

Stessa Pro -- Pay for features

Greg TodrankPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Bloomfield Hills, MI · Member since 2020 · 88 posts · 35 votes

Looks like Stessa has finally gone the way of the world and put all their essential functions under the "Pro" umbrella for $20 / month ($16 billed annually).

I'll probably make the investment.  Does anyone have anything better that they are using?  My CPA uses Quickbooks, but I like all the real estate functionality in Stessa.

3Reply
153 views

Most Popular Reply

Steven FlemingPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Columbia, MD · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 16 votes
3y

I saw it earlier while working on getting things ready for tax time. When I wrote to them and shared my concern that the feature I was using was behind a paywall without any notice, they offered me 1 month free. I figure that would give me time to evaluate Stessa Pro along with some other bookkeeping software like REI Hub and Quickbooks. Then I can figure out which one I want to keep.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Saginaw, MI · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 25 votes
    3y

    I just now noticed it too. Wish I had downloaded my tax packages for all my portfolios already. I'm considering moving to something else if there's a better recommendation. Although, I do like how real estate focused it is. I also wish I would have had a notification that this was happening... maybe I missed it.

  • Member since 2019 · 112 posts · 19 votes
    3y

    Just got email notification. I am not sure if I want to stay. I will explore some other options

  • Steven FlemingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, MD · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 16 votes
    3y

    I saw it earlier while working on getting things ready for tax time. When I wrote to them and shared my concern that the feature I was using was behind a paywall without any notice, they offered me 1 month free. I figure that would give me time to evaluate Stessa Pro along with some other bookkeeping software like REI Hub and Quickbooks. Then I can figure out which one I want to keep.

  • Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    I also use stessa. Not happy that there wasn’t a warning! Thanks for the suggestion about emailing them to get a free month. I’d love to hear what others are using. $20 a month might not be worth it to me as I only have a duplex as a rental. 

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y

    Super frustrating.  and while I understand, the lack of notice is almost like holding our information hostage at this point.

    Not to mention erodes trust in this business completely.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 384 posts · 197 votes
    3y

    We haven't found another alternative yet but the $20/month was quite a bump and it was something I was definitely not expecting. A heads up would have been nice.

  • Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    I don't mind paying if it's a good service. I decided to leave when I found out that they were selling my financial info https://www.stessa.com/do-not-sell/

    I thought that's how they made it free ... and now they're charging?

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2018 · 59 posts · 77 votes
    3y

    If anyone switches and is happier with another software, I'd welcome suggestions!

  • Rental Property Investor · Saginaw, MI · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 25 votes
    3y

    I messaged them about my frustration with the lack of notice and they gave me 30 days of pro for free. At least now I can get my tax info and see if pro is worth the cost.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Greg Todrank:

    Looks like Stessa has finally gone the way of the world and put all their essential functions under the "Pro" umbrella for $20 / month ($16 billed annually).

    I'll probably make the investment.  Does anyone have anything better that they are using?  My CPA uses Quickbooks, but I like all the real estate functionality in Stessa.


     this is not surprising, given their parent company also not making money and just laid off a bunch of people, i was expecting more than $20/mo already, it's still a steal with their fee IMO.

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 1 vote
    3y

    The lack of communication up front is where I have the issue with this. I get wanting to have a "Pro" version that is upgraded and value add. But the value shouldn't have been the list of features they already offered for free. Also, when there are still issues like bank synchronization, maybe fix the basics before you push everyone to a "
    Pro" version with a product that doesn't work all the time. There are other great features they could have added like the scan of receipts, and other pieces that would be a value add. Unfortunately, also not a ton of other things out there that fit the same. I keep everything on spreadsheets as well, but the dashboard was very handy.

  • Steven FlemingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, MD · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 16 votes
    3y

    I have been looking at REI Hub over the last few days. It is a much more of a true bookkeeping program, yet still has a focus on Real Estate. There are a few things that might take some more work than they did on Stessa. I was impressed with the quick replies to questions I had. I also like the fact that REI Hub lets you organize your chart of accounts to your needs (unlike Stessa). It looks like the price for the software will end up being similar to Stessa's new price. I am going dive in more to REI Hub this this afternoon.

  • Simon W.Business Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Lehigh Valley PA & New York City · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 661 votes
    3y

    It was going to happen sooner or later. They are a RoofStock company. lol

    Again, they are good for tracking income & expenses, but accounting stuff should be done outside of it. 

    Accounting Properties LLC
    View Page
    CFO LLC
    View Page
  • Real Estate Agent · Bradenton, FL · Member since 2015 · 71 posts · 15 votes
    3y

    I switched to QB for doing my taxes because the Stessa financial reports required manual work after the fact due to Stessa not being a true double-entry accounting software. I get QB online for a discount from my accountant plus they then have direct access to see everything and/or fix things. I just happened to log in to Stessa for some reason the other day and noticed previously free features (e.g. pro forma) are behind a paywall now. That's a questionable business practice, but even worse is that they didn't notify us long-time users before the change. If they just made it into double-entry software I likely would have paid for it, but now I doubt I would.

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    What is missing from QB online that Stessa has?

    One feature I really liked is the appfolio and propertyware transactions import in Stessa, not sure if we can do the same with QB Online.

  • Real Estate Consultant · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 40 votes
    3y

    I love love love Stessa I also upgraded to the pro account. I feel quickbooks is more for a traditional business not real estate. One of the reasons I love Stessa is very user friendly while also providing the necessary reporting your CPA needs at the end of the year. Another reason I like it is the dashboard I am able to collect good KPI information on my properties very quickly!

    Here is a list of reports I have access to as a pro member:

  • Investor · Madison, CT · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 12 votes
    2y

    Perhaps I am missing something with Stessa Pro but they dont seem to be able to handle the basic cash management functions including receiving rent payments and crediting them in a timely manner (2 months in a row my rental receipts were held in limbo for almost 2 weeks) Experienced very poor haphazard customer service .   Currently trying to close my account and get my money - taking longer than expected.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.