I've heard a lot of talk that Michigan is more tenant friendly than landlord friendly and it can often be hard to evict a non-paying tenant in states like this. How does one best protect themselves from issues like this?
I've heard a lot of talk that Michigan is more tenant friendly than landlord friendly and it can often be hard to evict a non-paying tenant in states like this. How does one best protect themselves from issues like this?
The City of Detroit is one of the most tenant-friendly places I've run into and I invest in a handful of states and cities w/in MI. Judges are even removing names of tenants from evictions so it won't show up on their eviction history. Had it happen with my most recent eviction. Also it usually takes around 2 months to get a court date. Had a tenant no show the zoom call then claimed they were "late", judge overturned his ruling and allowed for another court date. This gave the tenant another 2 months rent free before the next court date. Then tenant said he needed more time to move at court date (now 4 months later) and judge gave him another month to move. It really is a joke.
I've heard a lot of talk that Michigan is more tenant friendly than landlord friendly and it can often be hard to evict a non-paying tenant in states like this. How does one best protect themselves from issues like this?
The City of Detroit is one of the most tenant-friendly places I've run into and I invest in a handful of states and cities w/in MI. Judges are even removing names of tenants from evictions so it won't show up on their eviction history. Had it happen with my most recent eviction. Also it usually takes around 2 months to get a court date. Had a tenant no show the zoom call then claimed they were "late", judge overturned his ruling and allowed for another court date. This gave the tenant another 2 months rent free before the next court date. Then tenant said he needed more time to move at court date (now 4 months later) and judge gave him another month to move. It really is a joke.