Hi I was wondering if anyone knows about companies that do nothing but maintenance? I do all the renting myself and collecting of the rents. No issues there but I would love to have the maintenance under one roof so I don't have to make so many independent calls and pay invoices instead paying one invoice once a month. Thanks
Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
Aloha,
Obviously this will vary based on your locale, but certainly there are "facility management" companies, or those providing "Building Services". What you need to watch out for is consistency...or lack thereof. I've used some "Vets Only" companies, where some of the workers were awesome, others not so much. It really depends on who/how the company business model is set up. Individual vendors for plumbing, electrical, appliance repair, and general carpentry can be easier to work with if you make it easy for them, meaning, don't always try to get the price down; don't make changes unless based on new info they provide you early into a repair/project; don't have multiple people giving them direction; pay them promptly, net 15 if possible; don't waste their time requiring constant written estimates for small or routine tasks. For any "service call" type jobs, I have them call me direct from the site with verbal estimate and/or pics for problems. Time is money.
For bigger renovations, you need to develop a "standard" format for your process and material selection so that you can easily repeat...but with modifications to suit a different space or desire for an elevated finish.
Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2011 · 606 posts · 413 votes
3y
There used to be companies like US best repairs that did repair's route all 50 states however they are now closed. There are companies like NVMS and Sand Castle field services that mainly do inspections and property preservation but also do repairs in some areas. I wrote about these services in a recent newsletter.
Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
Aloha,
Obviously this will vary based on your locale, but certainly there are "facility management" companies, or those providing "Building Services". What you need to watch out for is consistency...or lack thereof. I've used some "Vets Only" companies, where some of the workers were awesome, others not so much. It really depends on who/how the company business model is set up. Individual vendors for plumbing, electrical, appliance repair, and general carpentry can be easier to work with if you make it easy for them, meaning, don't always try to get the price down; don't make changes unless based on new info they provide you early into a repair/project; don't have multiple people giving them direction; pay them promptly, net 15 if possible; don't waste their time requiring constant written estimates for small or routine tasks. For any "service call" type jobs, I have them call me direct from the site with verbal estimate and/or pics for problems. Time is money.
For bigger renovations, you need to develop a "standard" format for your process and material selection so that you can easily repeat...but with modifications to suit a different space or desire for an elevated finish.
Meriden, CT · Member since 2018 · 699 posts · 500 votes
3y
The problem with this scenario for me as a property manager is having to chase owners for funds and the issue with handoffs and communication.
As a property manager, it is hard enough to get tenants to pay promptly but I frequently am having to temporarily cover an owner who does not have sufficient funds. Because of this, the risk is not worth it ever without holding the rent coming in and distributing. Try telling a vendor that though they did a great job, they cannot be paid because the owner has not provided funding yet. I'd never be able to use that vendor again and I might get sued.
On the communication front, tenants then have multiple people calling and coordinating with them and that gets confusing.
Contractor · Richardson, TX · Member since 2022 · 265 posts · 146 votes
3y
If you find one, for the Dallas, Texas areas... let us know, we'd like to work with them! hahaha
As others said above, you'll probably "not" find one Nationally. Perhaps there are a few local ones there in CT, but ... that'll be it, local co's that have chosen to try this.
We work with a few HOA's, and even Investors that have many properties. But it's funny that there's not many "Property Management" Co's out there, Especially where "all" they do would be to manage repairs (they all want to do the $ part, probably like Samuel said, so they can make sure they have $ to pay out!)
The problem with this scenario for me as a property manager is having to chase owners for funds and the issue with handoffs and communication.
As a property manager, it is hard enough to get tenants to pay promptly but I frequently am having to temporarily cover an owner who does not have sufficient funds. Because of this, the risk is not worth it ever without holding the rent coming in and distributing. Try telling a vendor that though they did a great job, they cannot be paid because the owner has not provided funding yet. I'd never be able to use that vendor again and I might get sued.
On the communication front, tenants then have multiple people calling and coordinating with them and that gets confusing.
I pay my vendors immediately. Never leave my managers to do that.
The problem with this scenario for me as a property manager is having to chase owners for funds and the issue with handoffs and communication.
As a property manager, it is hard enough to get tenants to pay promptly but I frequently am having to temporarily cover an owner who does not have sufficient funds. Because of this, the risk is not worth it ever without holding the rent coming in and distributing. Try telling a vendor that though they did a great job, they cannot be paid because the owner has not provided funding yet. I'd never be able to use that vendor again and I might get sued.
On the communication front, tenants then have multiple people calling and coordinating with them and that gets confusing.
I pay my vendors immediately. Never leave my managers to do that.
I'm glad you do. Unfortunately some owners do not. I wish you the best of luck with the person helping you with maintenance!
Contractor · Richardson, TX · Member since 2022 · 265 posts · 146 votes
3y
Wait, you were just looking for a person to DO the work/repairs!?!? I read the o.p. as, you are wanting a Management Co that will manage and handle subs to do the work etc...
"Handymen" are all around, even on the street corners and in box stores parking lots! lol