Am I being charged too many random fees from my PM?

Am I being charged too many random fees from my PM?

Member since 2021 · 1 post · 1 vote

Hey everyone! I’m new to bigger pockets and was hopping some one could give me some insights into my situation. 

Just a little back ground. I have a couple rental properties local where I live and have managed them my self for years. 
I wanted to try an out of state deal and found a brrr in Michigan. Everything up to this point has gone pretty badly haha 

So my question is if it’s normal to be getting All shorts of fees every month from your management company? Over this last year it’s added up close to 10k!? Seems very odd. I am normally not one to question every little thing and assume most people are honest. But again it’s adding up to a lot and it seems excessive. 

Hope to hear from some one thanks

1Reply
72 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Aloha,

    There should not be any real surprises, everything should have been spelled out in your Management Agreement. These "fees" should be clearly identified in your monthly reports, with supporting documentation for any expenditures.

    You don't give a clues as to what the fees are...but 10K in a year is a lot. Maybe.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    That does sound normal.  You should only have your monthly fee from your PM.  If you have repairs or a turnover, you will have other expenses, but they should be clear (eg advertizing, leasing fee, etc).  $10K with no major repairs or turnover is excessive.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Davis:

    We have no context. Paying $10,000 in fees sounds very normal for a home that rents for $1,000 a month, but extravagant for a $600 apartment.

    What does the unit rent for? What fees are you charged?

    Have you read your management agreement? This should explain what fees you will be charged and when, so nothing should be a surprise. If you handed over responsibility to someone without a written agreement, or you failed to read the agreement, then it's difficult to assign blame to the property manager.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    The only thing you should be getting charged is the PM fee. Have them send you monthly expense statements and get to the bottom of this. 

  • Professional · Canton, MI · Member since 2016 · 296 posts · 230 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Davis:

    Hey everyone! I’m new to bigger pockets and was hopping some one could give me some insights into my situation. 

    Just a little back ground. I have a couple rental properties local where I live and have managed them my self for years. 
    I wanted to try an out of state deal and found a brrr in Michigan. Everything up to this point has gone pretty badly haha 

    So my question is if it’s normal to be getting All shorts of fees every month from your management company? Over this last year it’s added up close to 10k!? Seems very odd. I am normally not one to question every little thing and assume most people are honest. But again it’s adding up to a lot and it seems excessive. 

    Hope to hear from some one thanks


    Who is your property manager? There is one PM in the area that is well-known for charging excessive fees.
  • Kenneth JenkinsBusiness Member
    Member since 2023 · 54 posts · 40 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Davis:

    Hey everyone! I’m new to bigger pockets and was hopping some one could give me some insights into my situation. 

    Just a little back ground. I have a couple rental properties local where I live and have managed them my self for years. 
    I wanted to try an out of state deal and found a brrr in Michigan. Everything up to this point has gone pretty badly haha 

    So my question is if it’s normal to be getting All shorts of fees every month from your management company? Over this last year it’s added up close to 10k!? Seems very odd. I am normally not one to question every little thing and assume most people are honest. But again it’s adding up to a lot and it seems excessive. 

    Hope to hear from some one thanks

    That’s insane.  $10k in fees, not repairs, is highway robbery.  I’m a PM in the metro Detroit area and I can tell you with one exception that no reputable company charges that much. 

    We manage a 20 unit building and the fees are about that! 
    Propel Property Management4.3206 Reviews
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.