Tenant does not let me walk through or fix issues

Tenant does not let me walk through or fix issues

Member since 2022 · 38 posts · 9 votes

Tenant does not let me come to house and fix any issues. The house failed inspection due to GFCI outlet not working.

What should I do?

Asked atleast 3 times and says he is not available. Gave him time for today at 11 and says he is not available.

His lease is coming to end in november. He lost his job in jan and used his extra security deposit. I told him to pay back when he gets a job. He is not paying security deposit back.He does not let me walkthrough my property.

1Reply
92 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Harita Konjeti:

The law requires you to give notice. It doesn't not require you to get permission. This is why it's important to understand the law and your rights as a Landlord.

"Dear Tenant,

The law requires me to give reasonable notice before entering the property for repairs, inspections, or showing it to potential renters/buyers. Your permission and presence is not required. I've tried multiple times to schedule a visit that works around your schedule but you have rejected every request. 

I hereby notify you that I will enter the home on [DATE] at [TIME] to inspect the rental and make repairs. You are welcome to attend but your presence is not necessary. If you are not available, I will enter with my key and lock up when I am done. If you refuse entry, I will have no choice but to terminate your lease."

I recommend you learn the law and take control of your property. I would not renew this Tenants lease in the fall.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • South Holland, IL · Member since 2017 · 374 posts · 432 votes
    3y

    @Nathan Gesner

    1)I am not the originator of this post or asking for advice. 

    2)Bless your heart. 

  • Investor · Provo, UT · Member since 2016 · 759 posts · 626 votes
    3y

    First, try to level with your tenant. I know many people commenting on here want you to hire a management company and eviction attorney but before you do anything try actually to have a conversation with them.

    Yes, you are in a bad spot and have lost all of your leverage but you can work through this and learn from your mistake. 

    The solution to this is location dependant but in my state, I can give a three-day notice to pay or vacate. A security deposit is not rent and if they destroy your home you won't have anything to go after them.

    In our area there are lots of cheap constable services that will hand deliver notices, sometimes this alone gets people talking.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Harita Konjeti There is a discussion I have with tenants when they rent. It basically highlights the entry part of the lease. I tell them if you are not the kind of person who is comfortable with entry when you aren't present you have to arrange your schedule to accommodate repairs. And there will be rare times when we may made need to enter in an emergency in your absence.  Good luck with this guy. Hope it resolved but you might want to go over the entry with future tenants. 

  • Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    3y

    Good Morning! Definitely refer to your lease agreement. In a standard lease agreement, 24 hour notice is required to tenants for any access to the property, however they do not need to  provide permission.

    If they are still refusing access and you do not feel safe entering the property, issue the tenants a 30 day notice to vacate due to the violation of their lease. If they do not vacate at the end of the 30 day notice, proceed with eviction for failure to vacate.

    Best of luck!

  • Member since 2022 · 38 posts · 9 votes
    3y

    Tenant paid 2x security deposit. I still have a security deposit. It is a waste of money to pay property managers. I have interviewed many and they charge from tenant and me.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.