How to calculate deduction from deposit for carpet when installing vinyl to replace

How to calculate deduction from deposit for carpet when installing vinyl to replace

Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 70 posts · 33 votes

Hi. My renters absolutely destroyed beyond regular wear and tear (playdoh ground into carpet and dog stains and rips) the carpet that I had installed in the unit just before they moved in. They were there 3 years. I will need to replace the carpet in the entire upstairs (downstairs is tiled) and I would like to install vinyl instead upstairs. If I do this - can anyone advise how I would itemize/document/calculate the cost to the renter for the carpet replacement for the purposes of justifying the deduction from their deposit? 

0Reply
54 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 122 votes
3y

Carpet has a 5 or 9 year depreciation depending on your tax strategy.  The Department of Housing and Urban Development uses the 7 year guideline which is what we use.  I also include a general rule of 3 turnovers typically means new carpets should be expected.  With great tenants you can absolutely get carpet that lasts longer.

Have your installer to bid both carpet and vinyl.  Prorate the cost to replace just the carpet.  Using the 7 year rule the tenants would be responsible for ~57% of the replacement cost.

Here is a link to the IRS publication.  You can find the depreciation scale on page 9.  
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pd...
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 936 votes
    3y

    You can get a few quotes to replace the carpet with a similar grade of carpet to establish the cost. The tenant would pay to replace the carpet and you could do whatever you want from there.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Aloha,

    You would also need to account for the depreciation of the three year old carpet. I believe carpet is either 5 or 7 year life for IRS purposes, so you will be around 50% depreciated.

  • Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 122 votes
    3y

    Carpet has a 5 or 9 year depreciation depending on your tax strategy.  The Department of Housing and Urban Development uses the 7 year guideline which is what we use.  I also include a general rule of 3 turnovers typically means new carpets should be expected.  With great tenants you can absolutely get carpet that lasts longer.

    Have your installer to bid both carpet and vinyl.  Prorate the cost to replace just the carpet.  Using the 7 year rule the tenants would be responsible for ~57% of the replacement cost.

    Here is a link to the IRS publication.  You can find the depreciation scale on page 9.  
    https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pd...
  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 70 posts · 33 votes
    3y
    Quote from @James Mc Ree:

    You can get a few quotes to replace the carpet with a similar grade of carpet to establish the cost. The tenant would pay to replace the carpet and you could do whatever you want from there.


     Thank you. So that would be legal and they wouldn't be able to claim I charged them for something I didn't install? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 70 posts · 33 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Peters:

    Carpet has a 5 or 9 year depreciation depending on your tax strategy.  The Department of Housing and Urban Development uses the 7 year guideline which is what we use.  I also include a general rule of 3 turnovers typically means new carpets should be expected.  With great tenants you can absolutely get carpet that lasts longer.

    Have your installer to bid both carpet and vinyl.  Prorate the cost to replace just the carpet.  Using the 7 year rule the tenants would be responsible for ~57% of the replacement cost.

    Here is a link to the IRS publication.  You can find the depreciation scale on page 9.  
    https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pd...

     Thank you so much!

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 70 posts · 33 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Richard F.:

    Aloha,

    You would also need to account for the depreciation of the three year old carpet. I believe carpet is either 5 or 7 year life for IRS purposes, so you will be around 50% depreciated.


     Thank you - I'll make sure to do that

  • Elvise AtemPro Member
    Member since 2023 · 23 posts · 16 votes
    3y

    considering that it has been in use for just 3 years as opposed to 7 years, I would take good pictures and videos of the property. This could help substantiate for the need to replace in three years, not 7. make sure to talk to your tax guy

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.