5 months using RentRedi and I HATE it

5 months using RentRedi and I HATE it

Roanoke VA · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 28 votes

I switched from Quickbooks to RentRedi 5 months ago because the payment processing fee cost me $400 a month with Quickbooks. RentRedi claims to be a system built by landlords for landlords and I have to disagree. The number one problem with RentRedi is the total lack of customer support and yes with Intuit you will have to talk to an oversees call center but every question I needed help with got answered and all problems got resolved. With RentRedi you are reduced to talking to a "BOT" until an agent decides they want to chime in (still only on a chat window no phone numbers for RentRedit). Today was the final straw for me as I have come to realize you can not get a transaction report that shows a breakdown of deposits so I can show proof of rents received to my lenders. Appfolio is more expensive but after saving money for these past 5 months I have determined RentRedi could be free and I would pass. 

18Reply
692 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2022 · 408 posts · 408 votes
2y

I’ve had rental properties for over 22 years. Granted we only have 17 but still, I’ve never used anything except a simple excel spreadsheet and all my rental properties have a separate savings account under my main account at my local bank. They don’t charge anything for these extra accounts, my tenants pay directly into those accounts. I’ve never had a problem with a lender when I showed them the deposit that was made into that account. People are making this way too complicated. 

See this reply in the discussion

56 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Johns Island, SC · Member since 2014 · 120 posts · 41 votes
    2y

    I’m pleased with stessa for expense tracking and more recently rent collection.  Getting over 5% return when using their banking partner so working to transition all my properties over for rent collection.  

    I don’t need help often but have had good luck with customer service when needed.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 384 posts · 197 votes
    2y

    @Edward Toomey V I tried out RentRedi previously and also did not have a good experience with them. I still trying to figure out why BiggerPockets chose RentRedi out of all the other good property management software options for a partnership.

  • Cinnamon HarleyPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Green Bay, WI · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    I've been with RentRedi for a few years (started with them roughly mid 2021) after I'd had my fill of Apartments.com. I will say it the beginning it was great. It has gotten increasingly frustrating to deal with inadequacies and complaints from my tenants as far as payment processing. They claim they've upgraded to Stripe but I've seen no difference- they promised a quicker processing and deposit into my account, alas no change. Now listings are taking longer to go live on realtor.com sporadically. My tenants complain that it takes forever for the payment to be withdrawn from their account. If they pay earlier than their set up date, unnecessary emails stating payments need to be set up go out. For every step forward they take it falls back two. The customer service is obnoxious sometimes, the chat is eh. They can't do anything to help so it's a waste of time place to vent and then you need to call in to get things done. I'm almost at my limit- it's so nice when they say how much time and money I saved with their ticker on the top of the page but in dealing with the increasing hassle that amount is skewed. 

  • Nick LeQuiaPro Member
    Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    We have had our units on RentRedi for three months and have had the same experience described above.  In addition, my account has u synced from Bigger Pockets several times causing RentRedi to charge extra fees that were originally explained as cost free.  

  • Spring Branch, TX · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    2y

    @Edward Toomey V and @Tyson Jones What I like about RentRedi is that they have a live webinar regularly. Called in a couple of times and had my question answered there. They were general questions, not specific to my account but extremely helpful. Thinking they still have that webinars?

  • Investor · Johns Island, SC · Member since 2014 · 120 posts · 41 votes
    2y

    thanks for helping justify my decision to stay with Stessa.  Stessa is not perfect but I like the capability, love the %5 interest rate on my associate account and have found the support honest and effective.  I use it for expense tracking (which is great) and have been transitioning to rent collection/cash management.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Boerne, TX · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    2y

    I am also looking for rent redi alternatives, I have used rent readi since April and it's been constant problems and lack of response from their support team. I currently have $350 dollars that is missing from a chargeback reversal from a tenant that has a document case with Amex and a statement to prove the money was sent back to me.  They refuse to get their payment processor on a call with me and amex to resolve the issue.  This issue has been going on since April of this year with no resolution.  I sent a message to their CEO a week ago with no response.  The only thing that their support team does is send you links to articles that don't solve the problem.

  • Chris TomingasPro Member
    Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    I've been using Rent redi for just a short time. Getting a new tenant and lease setup. The interface is not very user friendly and things that should be obvious are difficult to find and take figuring out. Linking my bank account has been the biggest frustration. Additionally, I don't know if it's because I use a Mac but on the website when I scroll down on the main page, I can't scroll back up to the very top to click back on the "menu" or "settings" and instead have to navigate the less convenient side bar. This app is supposed to make things easier but instead has been a source of annoyance and irritation since I started using it.

  • Investor · Vermont and New York · Member since 2023 · 308 posts · 309 votes
    2y
    RentRedi is definitely not Ready for the real world.  It is a POS.  I wish BP would stop promoting it.

    I use stessa and buildium.  I am sure there are other good choices out there, but strongly recommend them.

    Stessa is lacking tenant communications and maintenance tracking, but overall stands up pretty well as free, or nearly free.


    Buildium is pricey and has a learning curve, but if you are going to exceed 20 units, definitely look to migrating to a real professional package like buildium

  • Cinnamon HarleyPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Green Bay, WI · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Dorothy C.:

    @Edward Toomey V and @Tyson Jones What I like about RentRedi is that they have a live webinar regularly. Called in a couple of times and had my question answered there. They were general questions, not specific to my account but extremely helpful. Thinking they still have that webinars?


  • Cinnamon HarleyPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Green Bay, WI · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    I have never seen a webinar from them in 3 years. I know Rentprep has webinars, could you have mistaken the two?

  • Spring Branch, TX · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    2y

    referring to RentRedi

  • Cinnamon HarleyPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Green Bay, WI · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Dorothy C.:

    referring to RentRedi


     Me too. Still never seen a webinar offered from them. I've been with them for 3 years. 

  • Hamish HillPro Member
    Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Sadly Im also having a sub-par experience.

    I also went with RentRedi based on the BP pro affiliation.

    I'm on day 3 and still don't have my listing published.

    Support was quick to respond, though it was confusing as my first 3 emails were responded o by 3 different people. And as of now I've listed myself direct with Zillow and other platforms.

    I'm now weary as to whether I want to carry on down this journey for the property management.

    I only have 1 SFH so I don't need much, mostly just wanting to streamline how I communicate and manage the property.

  • Investor · Vermont and New York · Member since 2023 · 308 posts · 309 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Hamish Hill:

    Sadly Im also having a sub-par experience.

    I also went with RentRedi based on the BP pro affiliation.

    I'm on day 3 and still don't have my listing published.

    Support was quick to respond, though it was confusing as my first 3 emails were responded o by 3 different people. And as of now I've listed myself direct with Zillow and other platforms.

    I'm now weary as to whether I want to carry on down this journey for the property management.

    I only have 1 SFH so I don't need much, mostly just wanting to streamline how I communicate and manage the property.


    drop rentredi asap.  Not worth it.  Use a spreadsheet instead, or find a different software.
  • Hamish HillPro Member
    Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tim J.:
    Quote from @Hamish Hill:

    Sadly Im also having a sub-par experience.

    I also went with RentRedi based on the BP pro affiliation.

    I'm on day 3 and still don't have my listing published.

    Support was quick to respond, though it was confusing as my first 3 emails were responded o by 3 different people. And as of now I've listed myself direct with Zillow and other platforms.

    I'm now weary as to whether I want to carry on down this journey for the property management.

    I only have 1 SFH so I don't need much, mostly just wanting to streamline how I communicate and manage the property.


    drop rentredi asap.  Not worth it.  Use a spreadsheet instead, or find a different software.

    Thanks Tim.

    I'll probably go the spreadsheet route to start with, but as I look to scale my properties continue to evaluate other tech.

    I also reached out to RentRedi @ Tyson in this thread to share my experiences. 

  • Brusly, LA · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 36 votes
    2y

    You're not alone. I am so full of regret for even giving them a 3rd and 4th chance. The platform is awful, archaic, confusing, and certainly not ready. It seems like a beta version of some amateur's app. The customer service is abysmal and all they do is copy and paste. I sent an invite to a prospective applicant that qualified and Looked high and low for the invite form with some additional notes to the applicant only to find out that it is not even on the platform at all, anywhere but in an email confirmation I received. Sub fields in the applications are called "child fields" WTF is that supposed to mean? When creating an application, there is no preview what so ever. You must use a work around and send it to yourself, then proceed to fill out the application as a prospective tenant clicking next to be able to see each next page! I should have listened to my intuition but I gave it a try thinking it was just a learning curve, but what I'm learning is it leaves a lot to be desired. Too many deficiencies, bugs, and quirks. If you're considering RentRedi, my advice is DON'T!!!! 

  • Rental Property Investor · OH (ohio) · Member since 2018 · 166 posts · 113 votes
    2y

    Following, as I'm looking for an alternative. They just billed me for a year without notification, I haven't logged in for 2 years lol. Currently on Avail but its very limited

  • Rental Property Investor · Auburndale, FL · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    The portal is not secure.  Someone hacked into my account and was able to change my bank account to theirs and steal $5542 in 3 days.  They were in my portal multiple times, but Support said just unlink the false info, several times!!  I was not experienced enough to think I was being hacked, they thought it was a glitch, until it wasn't.  They were so slow to do anything, Propay doesn't know who the account belongs to and can't take my money back.. Have filed it everywhere, currently my local sheriff is working the case.  Rentredi thinks it's someone I know cuz the IP address is near my rentals.. Dumb ***'s 

  • Real Estate Broker · Palm Bay, FL · Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    1y

    Doorloop is great - they had a moment about a year ago where they sucked, but they fixed everything for the most part. Appfolio is okay - I'm not super impressed by them. If I had to choose between the two I'd say Doorloop. However I currently use both. Appfolio has 24/7 maintenance and some features doorloop doesn't offer yet. 

  • Orlando, Baltimore · Member since 2023 · 24 posts · 9 votes
    1y

    I use REI Hub. It integrates with RentRedi so you can still use their rent collection capabilities (which I do like), but I think it is a more robust landlord-friendly accouting software. The cost is also MUCH cheaper than Quickbooks and it allows you to set up different properties that you can run reports against, have separate dashboards on, etc. The support is also excellent.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 49 posts · 36 votes
    1y

    I also stopped using RentRedi.  Their platform is very glitchy and they overcharge for posting on Zillow/Trulia.  I also listed properties that were supposed to cross list to Zillow/Trulia but would not show up.  Yet RentRedi would bill me anyway and I would have to request this money back.  Also I am highly suspect of a company that would use an endorsement on their hope page of the controversial author Regina Jackson, whose claim to fame is hosting expensive workshops and writing books that claim all white people are racists.  She appears in the documentary "Am I a Racist" and it is not flattering.  

  • Investor · Johns Island, SC · Member since 2014 · 120 posts · 41 votes
    1y

    I use Stessa to self manage 8 properties. Plenty of reports and they essentially pay me with 4+% interest on associate accounts. Free option available too.    

  • Arvand SabetianBusiness Member
    Member since 2024 · 62 posts · 21 votes
    1y

    Sorry to hear about your experience with them. With budget services such as RR you're going to be limited in areas such as customer support. They're appealing to the masses. 

    With that said, it sounds like you've found an alternative and I hope it works out smoothly for you! 

  • Member since 2019 · 33 posts · 28 votes
    1y

    The thing I didn't like about RentRedi after doing lots of research and preparing a spreadsheet with features and costs, is that RentRedi doesn't disclose up front that the accounting portion is linked to another company and is extra and, frankly, comparable to the pricing of the "big boys."   You might as well go with a big outfit such as Buildium or Doorloop.

    Had the accounting portion been included in the base annual subscription price I might have stuck with it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.