I have a rental property out of state and will be renovating after the tenant vacates this year. I'm not able to stay in the home since I work out of state. The renovation is significant (flooring, counters, heating, upgrading the bathrooms, etc.), but not a complete remodel (not adding or expanding structures). Aside from cost and finding a good contractor, my major concern is safety of the home while it's vacant and being worked on. Any suggestions?
Overall I feel your goal should be "just enough" to make the prospective (most typical "opportunistic") trespasser move along and find an easier target. Fencing. Very good lighting inside&out (on a timer), plus motion activated lights as much as possible/appropriate (they make super bright LARGE led ones, even solar now so don't need to be hard wired). But with the above, please make sure you're not that obnoxious next door house whose light comes on anytime someone walks the sidewalk or drives by in the road.
Cameras? probably not but case by case I guess. Pretty common rural or certain neighborhoods I suppose. Obviously mounted up high in a readily visible spot "trail cams" work just as well (as a possible visual deterrent), very cheap online. I say you don't need to consider security cameras (or even trail cameras)- but you could put fake ones out or if you had wifi on site o(r wanted to go the sim card/monthly route), that's not an expensive option either.
Make sure nothing about your entrances (doors) stands out that make them look like an easy target. Insist that your contractors store all tools etc out of sight.
There will always be more risk with something vacant, you're probably going to be counting on one person as your "eyes" on the project (or at least for "security", overall)- and the more hands on/ closer they live / able to visit site frequently, the better. whether that is your gc, a project or property manager, or your handyman/even yard maintenance guy, neighboring teenager, or whoever- this person is key