Helping Tenants Understand Rent Increase with: The Binder Method

Helping Tenants Understand Rent Increase with: The Binder Method

Real Estate Agent · Toronto, ON (Canada) · Member since 2018 · 27 posts · 16 votes

If you own a rent-controlled property, you may struggle with below-market rents. The Binder Method is a strategy that encourages tenants to request a rent increase by showing them real market data—creating a win-win situation.

How It Works:

1. Gather Market Data – Research comparable rental listings to document current market rents for similar units.

2. Show Homeownership Costs – Present the costs of purchasing a comparable property, including mortgage payments, taxes, insurance, and maintenance. This gives tenants a clearer picture of what it takes to own and maintain a rental unit.

3. Schedule a Meeting – Sit down with your tenant in a friendly, non-confrontational setting.

4. Present the Facts – Show the rental market data and ownership costs to illustrate the financial reality landlords face. Hand your tenants a physical binder with all of the information you have compiled for their review.

5. Let Them Decide – Many tenants, when presented with this information, recognize the gap between their rent and market value. Some will even suggest an increase to stay in their unit at a fair price.

By incorporating homeownership costs into the conversation, tenants gain a better understanding of why rent adjustments are necessary, making them more open to reasonable increases.

Would you try this approach? Let me know your thoughts!

2Reply
188 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y

    This may be good for a mom-and-pop investor with a lot of time on their hands. I personally find it unnecessary. We manage nearly 400 rentals and have never had to do this kind of presentation. We know the market and give the renter their options at renewal. If they push back, we provide a few examples of similar rentals, then give them a week to do their research before deciding. 90% of the time, they will accept the increase.

    NOTE: This is less of an issue if the landlord does small increases every year to stay close to market rates. We typically do a minimum 3% increase, then we hold larger increases for turnovers or every 3-4 years.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
    • Real Estate Agent · Toronto, ON (Canada) · Member since 2018 · 27 posts · 16 votes
      1y

      @Nathan Gesner I'm in Toronto, Canada. I'm 2020 my max allowable increase was 0%, since 2021 it's been 2.5% (which I have used to my advantage every year). Without the tenant offering me a higher rent I'm SOL. Damn LTB is so against us landlords. In Ontario, Canada.

      I'll be honest I didn't give a physical binder, I simply outlined the facts and asked what they felt a fair increase would be.

      I want to buy in a more landlord friendly province or state (I'm extremely interested in buying my first property in the USA - and I'm tempted to move to the states) or possibly get into some commercial real estate.

      In all honesty the first step for me is to make some friends, build the network and find some deals!

      I appreciate the reply! Can't wait to get unit #3 myself. Preferably not another condo, but I'm a sucker for deals so I never say never 😎

    • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Alessandro Di Luciano:

      Maybe Trump will find a way to absorb Canada...

      The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
    • Real Estate Agent · Toronto, ON (Canada) · Member since 2018 · 27 posts · 16 votes
      1y

      @Nathan Gesner I'm not opposed, still Ineed a change of environment altogether, it's just not vibing for me where I am 🙃

  • Developer · Moscow Idaho · Member since 2024 · 224 posts · 143 votes
    1y

    I know nothing about Canadian real estate except that it is very expensive.

    What is your income-to-rent ratio?  Can you buy things that cash flow? 

    • Real Estate Agent · Toronto, ON (Canada) · Member since 2018 · 27 posts · 16 votes
      7mo

      @Matthew Becker everything cash flows when you pay in cash 😆 

      but honestly, it's possible but extremly extremly difficult. Been looking for a house hack opportunity best on market stuff would still see me paying nearly 2k.

      ill find something though 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.