Do maintenance Markups by Property Managers Make Sense?

Do maintenance Markups by Property Managers Make Sense?

Brian TeeterBusiness Member
Little Rock, AR · Member since 2021 · 75 posts · 64 votes

I own a property management business in Little Rock, Arkansas. I wanted to open up a conversation around a topic that often stirs debate: maintenance markups. Should property managers charge them? I believe there’s a strong case that, when done transparently and fairly, markups are not only justified—they’re often essential to good property management. I am curious to hear from other PMs and clients on their views and whats common in their markets.

Here’s why I think markups make sense:

1. Coordination Takes Time and Experience
Coordinating maintenance isn’t just a quick phone call. It involves sourcing reliable vendors, negotiating pricing, scheduling with tenants, ensuring access, following up for quality control, and in some cases, managing rework. That’s real labor—and a big part of what investors are hiring us for.

2. Risk and Cash Flow Float
Property managers often front the cost of maintenance and wait to be reimbursed by the owner. This carries both financial risk and administrative overhead. A modest markup helps offset that burden.

3. Quality and Accountability
When property managers have a financial incentive to manage maintenance well, they’re more likely to build relationships with reputable vendors and ensure the job is done right. Good managers don’t profit from unnecessary repairs—they profit from efficient, reliable service that keeps tenants satisfied and properties in top condition.

4. Volume Discounts Still Save Clients Money
This is a key point that’s often overlooked: even with my markup, clients still pay significantly less than retail prices for labor and materials.
Because we manage hundreds of properties, we get volume pricing from vendors, suppliers, and contractors—discounts that individual owners typically wouldn’t have access to. In most cases, even after the markup, the client comes out ahead compared to hiring a vendor directly off the street.

5. Keeps Management Fees Predictable
Rather than increasing management fees across the board to cover the added workload of maintenance coordination, markups tie cost to activity. Owners only pay when there's work to be done, not for work that might happen.

A Question I Often Hear
I’m frequently asked, “Why do you charge a maintenance markup? Shouldn’t that be included in the management fee?”
It’s a fair question—but my response is simple: maintenance and remodeling coordination is active, time-intensive project management. If we built that into the base fee, it would need to be higher year-round—even when no work is needed. This way, owners only pay when services are actually performed.

Transparency Is Key
Of course, disclosure matters. We spell it out clearly in our agreement and openly talk about it with owners. 

I’d love to hear how others approach this:

  • If you’re a property manager, do you charge a markup? How do you structure it?
  • Investors—what’s been your experience? Do you prefer a markup model or a flat-fee structure?
  • Have you found a hybrid approach that works well for your portfolio?

I think this is one of those areas where a thoughtful, transparent approach can actually build trust rather than erode it. Curious to hear how others are navigating it.

Turnkey Property Management4.8170 Reviews
View Page
0Reply
134 views

Most Popular Reply

Drew SygitBusiness Member
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
1y

Owners want EVERYTHING included and/or for free!

#1 problem - they either don't properly value their own time or don't really understand how time intensive getting work done on a property is.

They incorrectly assume that either:
- PMCs have handymen that can handle everything for a $x/hour they got off Craigslist ad
- It only take minutes to call 3 contractors for bids, schedule appointment with the tenant(s) AND the contractor, meet contractor at the property, get bids, review all the bids for completeness, then schedule work, inspect the work to confirm quality & completeness, verify any warranty, etc.

They are only partially correct. 

In an attempt to address this "fairly" we have 3 categories:

Maintenance: small jobs our handymen can easily & quickly handle like faucet & drain leaks, caulking, snaking drains, tightening loose handrails, etc.
Since the list can be exhaustive to define, we capped this category at $x, which is also tied to our owner approval threshold for efficiency. 
Charge: actual costs, no markup

Repairs: standard RentReady jobs, coordinating replacement HWH, painting, replacing a window/door, etc.
Again, we categorize it by dollar amount, so starts from Maintenance Limit to $x.
Charge: actual costs, plus markup percentage

Renovations: major RentReady jobs where tenants trashed the property, rehabs, etc.
Starts from our Repair Limit.
Charge: actual costs, plus markup percentage higher than that we charge for Repairs.
- Every owner wants a "volume" discount on these jobs until we explain these jobs typically require several contractors and coordinating timelines can be a nightmare. One dealy on our end or a contractor getting delayed at another job can throw the whole timeline off, which often requires finding replacement conrtractors and negotiating prices again! Also, a GC would charge a whole lt more than we do.

It's not perfect and owners still complain it's not fair, but they also can't come up with a better system.

What we think is funny is the owners that actually believe PMCs that charge for maintenance by the hour do NOT charge a markup!
They fail to understand the PMC's hourly rate has a built-in markup for profit.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Lombard, IL · Member since 2013 · 99 posts · 82 votes
    1y

    I agree with all of your points on why we should charge a markup.    We charge a percent with a ceiling per work order.  We negotiated a quarterly ceiling with a few owners as well.   Dealing with Vendors is extremely time consuming and our customers are benefiting from all of the hard work we have put in establishing a network of reliable vendors.   

    If you have an owner balking, offer to reduce their management fee if they  handle all vendor requests.   They would come running back to you with their tail between their legs in no time after they made 100 texts and phone calls to get a few bids and then have the vendor not show up, lol.  This is reality until you can establish reliable vendors.  Or pay outrageous prices to the big names.  

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    1y

    It probably depends on the market and the property type/age. 

    I don’t pay markups on service/repairs and in fact I usually see a discount on the vendors invoice. But…

    I usually have 1 or less service calls per year per property. It’s almost always a plumbing, an appliance or hvac.There’s no remodeling or “major” building repairs.

    They don’t front or risk any money as I have a few hundred dollars in reserves per property and they just move the money around, plus they have all the incoming rent,what risk could they really face? 

    Everything is close to automated already and that’s before AI makes it even more automated. The tenant makes an online request. It’s forwarded to the vendor. They make the arrangements and go out. If it’s less than $250 it’s just done with before and after pictures sent to the automated system. If it’s more they send pictures with an estimate that gets sent directly to me. I hit approve or not. And works done. 

    MAYBE they spend 30 minutes per year per property on maintenance. MAYBE. I love that the tenant has their problem fixed within hours 90% of the time. I feel like I’m getting a good deal. Win win. I do occasionally skip their appliance vendor when the unit needs to be replaced. They might only be $100 high on the unit. But then they want $50 to deliver, $50 to install, and $50 to remove the old unit. Too many big shops around here do that for free. So if I’m bored, want to feel like I’m involved, or want to save a quick $250 I’ll stop by and pick one out. The shop does all the coordination with the tenant. But that might be 2 days instead of same day. So it depends on the situation. 

    I’m certainly not saying they aren’t doing a hard job or I want to do it. But the part they’re doing I hate is the Tennant screening, keeping up with market rent rent rates, and keeping me legal with changing laws. With my properties the repairs pretty darn basic. It’s not rotted out floors, basement water issues, leaking roofs and the such. 90% of the time the technician knows the problem and the solution before he leaves his truck. 

    Sorry to ramble. Just thought you might want to hear the thought process from the customer side. Have a good day. :-)

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    Owners want EVERYTHING included and/or for free!

    #1 problem - they either don't properly value their own time or don't really understand how time intensive getting work done on a property is.

    They incorrectly assume that either:
    - PMCs have handymen that can handle everything for a $x/hour they got off Craigslist ad
    - It only take minutes to call 3 contractors for bids, schedule appointment with the tenant(s) AND the contractor, meet contractor at the property, get bids, review all the bids for completeness, then schedule work, inspect the work to confirm quality & completeness, verify any warranty, etc.

    They are only partially correct. 

    In an attempt to address this "fairly" we have 3 categories:

    Maintenance: small jobs our handymen can easily & quickly handle like faucet & drain leaks, caulking, snaking drains, tightening loose handrails, etc.
    Since the list can be exhaustive to define, we capped this category at $x, which is also tied to our owner approval threshold for efficiency. 
    Charge: actual costs, no markup

    Repairs: standard RentReady jobs, coordinating replacement HWH, painting, replacing a window/door, etc.
    Again, we categorize it by dollar amount, so starts from Maintenance Limit to $x.
    Charge: actual costs, plus markup percentage

    Renovations: major RentReady jobs where tenants trashed the property, rehabs, etc.
    Starts from our Repair Limit.
    Charge: actual costs, plus markup percentage higher than that we charge for Repairs.
    - Every owner wants a "volume" discount on these jobs until we explain these jobs typically require several contractors and coordinating timelines can be a nightmare. One dealy on our end or a contractor getting delayed at another job can throw the whole timeline off, which often requires finding replacement conrtractors and negotiating prices again! Also, a GC would charge a whole lt more than we do.

    It's not perfect and owners still complain it's not fair, but they also can't come up with a better system.

    What we think is funny is the owners that actually believe PMCs that charge for maintenance by the hour do NOT charge a markup!
    They fail to understand the PMC's hourly rate has a built-in markup for profit.

  • Property Manager · Lombard, IL · Member since 2013 · 99 posts · 82 votes
    1y

    "What we think is funny is the owners that actually believe PMCs that charge for maintenance by the hour do NOT charge a markup!
    They fail to understand the PMC's hourly rate has a built-in markup for profit."

    Not only that, they have a maintenance team that they need to keep busy with work, so there just might be some extra stuff that pops up, that never would have with a PMC that uses vendors.  

    There is no perfect solution for the PMC or the Owner.  Maintenance cost will continue to rise, it will continue to be hard to find reliable, fairly priced vendors and keep them, it seems like it will only get harder to hire and keep good maintenance techs also.    

  • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    Hey Brian,

    It seems like most companies stick with a flat-fee structure, but I agree with you that a markup makes sense. I think a hybrid setup ends up being the best of both worlds.

    I’ve been working with a couple property management companies that went that route. We built a system that tracks their team’s time, automatically generates owner invoices at month-end, and gives them analytics by property and by employee. They’ve had really good results with it.

    I’d be curious to hear how you structure your model and how you make it work in practice. From what I’ve seen, this is still an open problem in the industry and there’s a lot of debate around it.

    Here’s what I’ve been working on: https://useswordfish.com

  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I do not think that markups on maintenance are ethical, and it doesn't make sense. In my opinion, it is a way to make up revenue by the property manager who cut their commissions to get an annual contract with an owner. If a PM was a strong salesperson, they could overcome the "lower commission" objection instead of hiding costs to surprise owners later.

  • Arvada, CO · Member since 2023 · 24 posts · 12 votes
    1y

    Markups make sense to me for all the reasons stated. I also believe it's more fair to owners in general because those whose properties require the most attention should pay more. Otherwise properties in good shape that don't require much maintenance are effectively subsidizing poor quality properties. 

  • Ben ScottPro Member
    Property Manager · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2019 · 577 posts · 351 votes
    1y

    Spitballing here ... but would there be an ethical scenario to create a white label Handyman Remodeling business that pays the vendor and bills the owner with a small mark up? Of course this would be disclosed. But it might make billing and invoicing more clear.

    Curious if anyone has experience with that. Another PM in my market started his own HVAC company for this reason.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Personally, maintenance mark ups are infuriating. But then again most of the fees I don't agree with anyways. Property Managers may charge a base fee of 6%-10% but in actuality it is closer to 15%-18%. I know of PMs that are now charging a vacancy fee, which really bumps things up to probably closer to 20% of the gross rents. Even Bigger Pockets called this out in an article a while back. However I do get it. You can't run a business making $70/month on a $700 rental. I would much rather pay a flat percentage, even if it is higher, but then all costs (including finding a tenant, maintenance request, renewals, etc.) was included. Such as charging a flat 15% and cover everything (obviously paying directly to vendors for work is separate). At least that way I can factor it into my spreadsheets when I'm buying properties. 

    I often see property managers marketing themselves as a "business helping homeowners." It is the wrong way to look at it. It is a "business helping a business." The more money your investor makes, the more properties they can buy, which means the more the property can manage and scale. 

    As someone who owns rentals, it actually makes it more complicated because the costs are getting so high, the margins are getting tighter, unpredictable in terms of monthly cash flow, and not working. I plan on buying another rental probably in about 6 months and I'm actually thinking of offering an additional 10% off on my offers from my initial analysis to hopefully compensate.

    To break down your points (not coming from a PM but actually a customer):

    1. Coordination: That's literally part of your job. Otherwise besides finding tenants and tenant communication, PMs are basically charging a 6%-10% to process rent payments. A PM does have the connections, but often times I don't see much negotiating on the pricing because it is being passed on to the owner anyways. And I'm seeing some PMs with "in house" maintenance, which can be concerning because now there isn't accountability on pricing because they are not incentive to get competing quotes. 

    2. Cash Flow Float: PMs require a certain amount in reserves and cost of repairs are taken out of the rent before the owner gets paid. If the project is larger than the PM won't start until a portion of the money is paid upfront. 

    3. Quality and Accountability: Multiple times from past PMs (ones I no longer work with), have not double checked the work and therefore people constantly coming out to fix problems. And every time someone comes up, there is the mark up fee. 

    4. Volume Discounts: There wouldn't be much discount if there is also the mark up. It might be a wash and even if there are savings, there are still other upcharges.

    5. Keeps Management Fees Predictable: The only way to make it predictable is to have a flat fee across the board. It makes is predictable for the investor in their calculations and the PM can project their revenue. It would also make the PM more efficient because they would really want to make sure their visits are low, get properties rented quickly with additional marketing efforts, not use cell phone photos, etc. 

    I know this might come off as harsh and that isn't my intention. I know there are amazing property managers out there and I have met and worked with some of them. But I do think the PM model is getting very expensive and something needs to change. I'm having more conversations with people about self managing because of how some PMs operate and the fees associated with it. I'm talking both locally and out of state investing. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.