How do you track recurring maintenance without dropping the ball?

How do you track recurring maintenance without dropping the ball?

Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hey All,

I've got a few rentals (under 5 units) and I keep making the same mistake: forgetting recurring maintenance until it becomes a problem.  This isn't my main source of income so it's been an "after" thought.

Last year I forgot to schedule the annual furnace inspection on one unit. Ended up with a failed heat exchanger in January — $3,200 repair that probably could've been caught early. Another time I completely missed that a lease had expired. Tenant was month-to-month for almost 4 months before I noticed.

I've tried a few things:

  • Google Calendar — reminders get buried with everything else
  • Spreadsheet — worked until I stopped opening it
  • Property management software — overkill for my portfolio size, and expensive

Curious what's working for other small landlords here. Do you have a system that actually sticks? Or is everyone just relying on memory and hoping for the best?

I'm a software guy by trade, so I've started building a simple reminder tool for myself — basically just "here are your properties, here's what needs to happen, here's when we'll bug you about it." Nothing fancy.

But mostly just want to hear how you all handle this. What works?

0Reply
203 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2024 · 158 posts · 88 votes
9mo
I use Innago which is a free tool and reminds you about lease expirations and late rent. You can add your own maintenance requests but not sure about reminders because I just bought my 4 properties new and haven’t had any. I do plan to have HVAC checkups in Fall and Spring. I found a company that will do all of them and my house for a discount. I think you can get a “plan” and they will remind you when they are coming out.
See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9mo

    @Carlin Desautels  I have the same issue and used to keep a calendar.  I am writing up  a document on what needs to be done with a calendar guide.  I was thinking of adding a checklist but really some things are done quarterly and others every 3 years so it is a wide span.

    • Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 0 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Colleen F.:

      @Carlin Desautels  I have the same issue and used to keep a calendar.  I am writing up  a document on what needs to be done with a calendar guide.  I was thinking of adding a checklist but really some things are done quarterly and others every 3 years so it is a wide span.

      Hey @Colleen F.,

      Thank you for the tip!  If you don't mind me asking, how many units do you manage?  I have this problem with just 3 :(.  I've tried documents or spreadsheets.  They've worked for a while but I can't seem to stay on them.  Maybe it's just me lol.  My mind tends to go the automated route when I have problems.  That's why I started writing my own little web app (this is what I primarily do for a living anyways).

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    9mo

    There really is no "perfect" solution.

    The obvious solution to me is using Google Calendar - but not with Reminders.
    - Create recurring appointments for annual issues, regular for lease renewals, at times earlier than your typical work day. I do 5am or 6am all the time.
    - Set the "reminder" appointment to email you 10 minutes "before the appointment".
    - Then the email sits in your inbox until you address it. 
    - For a lease renewal, you could create a reminder appt on the lease end date and add multiple reminders for 60 days, 30 days, 2 weeks - whatever makes sense for you.
    - You can even create filters to auto-label, set Google to put under a specific inbox tab, add a colored star, etc.

    Just hope you aren't one of "those people" that rarely delete or archive messages in their inbox:)

    • Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 0 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Drew Sygit:

      There really is no "perfect" solution.

      The obvious solution to me is using Google Calendar - but not with Reminders.
      - Create recurring appointments for annual issues, regular for lease renewals, at times earlier than your typical work day. I do 5am or 6am all the time.
      - Set the "reminder" appointment to email you 10 minutes "before the appointment".
      - Then the email sits in your inbox until you address it. 
      - For a lease renewal, you could create a reminder appt on the lease end date and add multiple reminders for 60 days, 30 days, 2 weeks - whatever makes sense for you.
      - You can even create filters to auto-label, set Google to put under a specific inbox tab, add a colored star, etc.

      Just hope you aren't one of "those people" that rarely delete or archive messages in their inbox:)

       Hey @Drew Sygit,

      Thank you for the tip as well.  When I started struggling, I went to google calendar and did a similar setup but I am unfortunately one of "those people" lol.  I think I have 9,999 unread emails in my inbox right now :S.  I missed so many reminders this way too.  Does this work for you all of the time?

    • Drew SygitBusiness Member
      Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Carlin Desautels:
      Quote from @Drew Sygit:

      There really is no "perfect" solution.

      The obvious solution to me is using Google Calendar - but not with Reminders.
      - Create recurring appointments for annual issues, regular for lease renewals, at times earlier than your typical work day. I do 5am or 6am all the time.
      - Set the "reminder" appointment to email you 10 minutes "before the appointment".
      - Then the email sits in your inbox until you address it. 
      - For a lease renewal, you could create a reminder appt on the lease end date and add multiple reminders for 60 days, 30 days, 2 weeks - whatever makes sense for you.
      - You can even create filters to auto-label, set Google to put under a specific inbox tab, add a colored star, etc.

      Just hope you aren't one of "those people" that rarely delete or archive messages in their inbox:)

       Hey @Drew Sygit,

      Thank you for the tip as well.  When I started struggling, I went to google calendar and did a similar setup but I am unfortunately one of "those people" lol.  I think I have 9,999 unread emails in my inbox right now :S.  I missed so many reminders this way too.  Does this work for you all of the time?


      Everyone tells me I'm very organized, yet I feel there's always room for improvement.

      I use Google's inbox tabs for priorities, NOT their Primary, Promotions, Social, Updates & Forums.  Wish they'd allow renaming their tabs!

      I also typically have less than 10 emails in my Primary inbox tab, but my Forum one often has 20+ that I haven't gotten to reading yet.

      Even if you could find the "perfect" software, how are you going to be organized enugh to log into it often enough? Also, most softwares use email alerts, so those won't work for you.

      Highly recommend committing yourself to changing the way you manage your inbox:)

  • Real Estate Investor · Burlington, VT · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    @Carlin Desautels  I'm an Excel person, so I have one file for each property.  Simple month by month numbers going across the columns (Jan, Feb etc): rent received, and expenses paid.  At the end of the year, I just print it out and hand it to my CPA for tax time.

    In the file, I just add notes, usually at the top of the monthly column, "Apt #1 lease Jun-25 to May-26", or "annual heater maint" in the Jul column.  The file gets copied for the new year, so all those notes transfer from my 2025 file to 2026 and it's right there in front of me for the new year.

    That's me...I only have 10 units across 3 properties , but no issues keeping track.

    Side note, I have a running "maintenance tab" in the file too.  So I can easily reference say, water heater apt #2, Feb 2018, JR's Plumbing.

    Hope that helps!

  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    There's no perfect fit but if you schedule time in your calendar as opposed to reminders, that could work. I'd say bookkeeping should take no longer than 2 hours per month. 

    What I've been doing lately is using Monarch Money and categorizing there. They have a mobile app so when I have down time such as gym, bus, or being a passenger in a car, I look to categorize. 

    For the business expenses for my property, I put the expenses in from monarch into excel and then into my property excel sheet template.  

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 916 votes
    9mo

    @Carlin Desautels

    For small portfolios like yours, a mix of automation and simple tracking usually works best. Many landlords use lightweight property management apps or task managers with recurring reminders rather than full-blown software. You can tie recurring maintenance, lease expirations, and inspections to calendar alerts that actually ping your phone or email. Even a simple checklist app with due dates for each property can be effective if you commit to checking it daily. Since you’re a software guy, building your own tool makes sense—it gives you exactly what you need without the clutter or cost of big platforms. The key is consistency: once a maintenance item or lease event is in a system that actually notifies you, it’s much easier to never drop the ball.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9mo

    @Carlin Desautels   Every other year or similarly infrequent is difficult and to be honest I used to be alot better at it when I was logging on to a computer every day for work.  I currently have 8 units with varying needs. Things get out of alignment. There are things you do with a certain frequency, there are things you do only when people move. I do write dates on things like smoke detectors and furnaces and take pictures because then I will Know even if I don't write it down right away. I am writing these things out first so I don't forget to do something but second because at some point I 'm not doing it anymore and whoever takes over has to know the nuts and bolts. The app would be what the upcoming generation will do best with and an app that texts would be their favorite (just saying) although I am fine with email and frequently email myself reminders.  Also you are not in complete control of scheduling so not only do you have to schedule but remind yourself two months in advance for things that are difficult to schedule so there are those nuances. you won't find or build a perfect tool, you will still need to remember. I am guessing furnace maintenance won't fall off your list in the future because the costly disturbing ones stick with you.

  • Member since 2024 · 158 posts · 88 votes
    9mo
    I use Innago which is a free tool and reminds you about lease expirations and late rent. You can add your own maintenance requests but not sure about reminders because I just bought my 4 properties new and haven’t had any. I do plan to have HVAC checkups in Fall and Spring. I found a company that will do all of them and my house for a discount. I think you can get a “plan” and they will remind you when they are coming out.
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9mo

    @Allison Park often plans for HVAC maintenance/repair require you to schedule the service, ours does. Some vendors do send reminders but not our HVAC although some may. 

  • Patrick O'SullivanBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 527 posts · 200 votes
    9mo

    Hey Carlin, definitely a relatable question.

    For me, the key has been finding the simplest possible system I actually stick with. I use a basic task manager app (like Todoist or Notion) and set up recurring tasks for each unit. Stuff like:
    • HVAC inspection for Property A every October.
    • Lease check for Property B 90 days out.
    The trick is building the habit of checking the list weekly, just like checking email.

    Since you are already building your own tool, that might end up being the best option long term. It will be tailored to the way you think and work, which means you are more likely to use it consistently.

    One small thing that has helped me is keeping a running property log with quick notes after each repair, inspection, or issue. It gives a snapshot of what has been done and when, and comes in handy for planning or answering tenant questions.

    Sounds like you are on the right track. It is just about finding a repeatable rhythm that works for you.

    get MULTIfamily Property Management4.7220 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.