tenants hiding a dog

tenants hiding a dog

Member since 2025 · 81 posts · 19 votes

I wanted to know other landlords input in this situation. I sent an AC person out for maintenance and he mentioned tenant had a dog. The have lived there a few months and the lease states no dog. The home's living room and 4 bedrooms were redone in laminate within the last 2-3 years.  When they moved in I had them sign an agreement about care of the laminate. They have 3 kids (5 and up) as well. I was at the home end of December related to a water leak issue and the last time I was there they tried to avoid having me in the home- boyfriend came out to give me the equipment I was returning. I asked the tenant about a dog and he stated that they were fostering and he asked about paperwork. I am in a very soft market- lots of rental inventory, and finding a new tenant in this market could be a long process. The dog is not considered an aggressive breed- I asked for a pic of the dog, his rabies record, and his weight height info and send them a pet addendum, with 500$ non refundable pet fee. I also let then know I would cover the rental insurance ( I only require it if you have a pet for liability reasons)- it was around 150$. I posted the charge in the management software- It's been 2 days and I am waiting on their follow through. Today I messaged them and gave them a deadline- this coming Monday  to complete all of it- and after that I was just thing 7 day notice to cure- which my legal company who preps the lease would put together. Is this behavior common with tenants? As far as giving them a time line to complete the documentation- is mine reasonable? Thanks

2Reply
451 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2011 · 152 posts · 113 votes
7mo

What everyone is saying about the pet is good input. What I would point out, however, is that renters insurance should be required to be in effect as of move-in in ALL cases...not just if they have a dog. And the tenant should be paying for it.

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    7mo

    Sasha, yes, this type of behavior is fairly common. Many tenants will “test” a no-pet policy, especially in softer rental markets. The real concern isn’t the dog itself but lease compliance and transparency. Avoiding access and slow or evasive responses can be warning signs of a potentially problematic tenant.

    The timeline you provided to complete the documentation is reasonable. If they fail to comply, issuing a 7 day notice to cure is the appropriate next step. Consistency is more important than current market conditions. Overlooking one violation can undermine your authority and enforcement position later. You are handling the situation professionally. Remain consistent and continue documenting everything.

    • Member since 2025 · 81 posts · 19 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Janice Carter:

      Sasha, yes, this type of behavior is fairly common. Many tenants will “test” a no-pet policy, especially in softer rental markets. The real concern isn’t the dog itself but lease compliance and transparency. Avoiding access and slow or evasive responses can be warning signs of a potentially problematic tenant.

      The timeline you provided to complete the documentation is reasonable. If they fail to comply, issuing a 7 day notice to cure is the appropriate next step. Consistency is more important than current market conditions. Overlooking one violation can undermine your authority and enforcement position later. You are handling the situation professionally. Remain consistent and continue documenting everything.


       Thank you. I am managing all aspects of the rental stuff alone so I'd rather deal with a vacany than a headache tenant- if that's what they end up being.  Thanks for your input I appreciate it. I will definitely just move to a 7 day notice to cure if they don't follow through by Monday. The AC person said he could not access the AC in the garage because of all the stuff that was piled in the garage (he sent me a pic) so I am concerned they need more managing then I would have previously thought.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7mo

    If they knew the AC person was coming and agreed to the time-they also should have made the unit accessible.  Remind them of that and say if they have to reschedule because the unit is not accessible, that they will have to pay the rescheduling fee.

    • Member since 2025 · 81 posts · 19 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Theresa Harris:

      If they knew the AC person was coming and agreed to the time-they also should have made the unit accessible.  Remind them of that and say if they have to reschedule because the unit is not accessible, that they will have to pay the rescheduling fee.


       There wasn't a fee to reschedule. And I don't think they knew where the AC was located. it's overhead on the ceiling of the garage.

    • Theresa HarrisPro Member
      Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Sasha Leans:
      Quote from @Theresa Harris:

      If they knew the AC person was coming and agreed to the time-they also should have made the unit accessible.  Remind them of that and say if they have to reschedule because the unit is not accessible, that they will have to pay the rescheduling fee.


       There wasn't a fee to reschedule. And I don't think they knew where the AC was located. it's overhead on the ceiling of the garage.


       Fair enough, but for next time it will save the AC guy (and you) time.

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    7mo

    Our lease calls out a $100/day pet boarding fee for unauthorized pets whether they own them or are watching (pet sitting) them.  This is about the market pet boarding rate in my market.

    in Ca it takes at least 30 days to get a valid ESA certificate.   If they bring in the animal prior to starting to ESA process, they will owe $3k in boarding fees minimum.   

    the fee is to discourage unauthorized pets or having the tenant not go through the valid ESA process.  

    In addition, our application process requires a PetScreening.com profile for each adult.   They must declare no animal, ESA or service dog, or pet.  We allow dog pets in about half our units (those with private enclosed yards). If they have a pet, they pay our pet fee and pet rent.

    @Sasha Leans what does your lease say about unauthorized pets?   Note an animal is a pet until it qualifies as a service animal or ESA.

    good luck

    • Member since 2025 · 81 posts · 19 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Dan H.:

      Our lease calls out a $100/day pet boarding fee for unauthorized pets whether they own them or are watching (pet sitting) them.  This is about the market pet boarding rate in my market.

      in Ca it takes at least 30 days to get a valid ESA certificate.   If they bring in the animal prior to starting to ESA process, they will owe $3k in boarding fees minimum.   

      the fee is to discourage unauthorized pets or having the tenant not go through the valid ESA process.  

      In addition, our application process requires a PetScreening.com profile for each adult.   They must declare no animal, ESA or service dog, or pet.  We allow dog pets in about half our units (those with private enclosed yards). If they have a pet, they pay our pet fee and pet rent.

      @Sasha Leans what does your lease say about unauthorized pets?   Note an animal is a pet until it qualifies as a service animal or ESA.

      good luck


       I have a lease prepared by a local legal company. I don't think they have anything like that in their lease. but I like the idea!

    • Member since 2026 · 6 posts · 0 votes
      7mo

      @Dan H. What area? Would La city think of these fees as unreasonable?

    • Dan H.Pro Member
      Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Rachel Steen:

      @Dan H. What area? Would La city think of these fees as unreasonable?


       I am in San Diego.

      I suspect Los Angeles and San Diego have pet boarding fees.   The issue here is most commercial places will kennel the dog with some play time at $40 to $50/night.   Full freedom places typically require a private provider which is significantly more expensive.   That freedom typically is what a dog gets that is staying in our units without permission.

      Note it is not about collecting the fee, it is about discouraging the tenant from violating the lease and having significant consequences if they do.  I want our charges to be high enough that a tenant will not babysit a pet but instead tell the person to bring it to commercial boarder.  Similar for someone seeking an ESA.    The tenants are to folllow the process which includes having the ESA authorized before it stays at the property.  

      Good luck

  • Member since 2011 · 152 posts · 113 votes
    7mo

    What everyone is saying about the pet is good input. What I would point out, however, is that renters insurance should be required to be in effect as of move-in in ALL cases...not just if they have a dog. And the tenant should be paying for it.

    • Member since 2025 · 81 posts · 19 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Joel Miller:

      What everyone is saying about the pet is good input. What I would point out, however, is that renters insurance should be required to be in effect as of move-in in ALL cases...not just if they have a dog. And the tenant should be paying for it.


       Why do you think everyone should have renters insurance? From what I understand- neither my property or umbrella policy will cover a tenants pet- so if they have a pet- they need renters insurance with pet liability- in case there is a liability event with the pet.    About me paying for it- for me it depends on the general market situation. I have one tenant paying way above market rent- because it's decreased and either he's unaware or he is fine paying the same. I am fine covering the rental insurance with pet liability.      Also in the market I currently live in- where there are probably 100-200 rentals within 5 miles-  adding a requirement that isn't what most rentals are doing- is a reason to lose potential tenants. and it's not worth it in my opinion.                                I am continuing to require last months rent- for a prospective tenant and even that is making it harder to find a tenant- when every other place is only requiring first and security deposit. IF I get the insurance- I can get higher coverage (300,000$) where as a tenant would be more likely to get bare minimum.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Sasha Leans:

    I wanted to know other landlords input in this situation. I sent an AC person out for maintenance and he mentioned tenant had a dog. The have lived there a few months and the lease states no dog. The home's living room and 4 bedrooms were redone in laminate within the last 2-3 years.  When they moved in I had them sign an agreement about care of the laminate. They have 3 kids (5 and up) as well. I was at the home end of December related to a water leak issue and the last time I was there they tried to avoid having me in the home- boyfriend came out to give me the equipment I was returning. I asked the tenant about a dog and he stated that they were fostering and he asked about paperwork. I am in a very soft market- lots of rental inventory, and finding a new tenant in this market could be a long process. The dog is not considered an aggressive breed- I asked for a pic of the dog, his rabies record, and his weight height info and send them a pet addendum, with 500$ non refundable pet fee. I also let then know I would cover the rental insurance ( I only require it if you have a pet for liability reasons)- it was around 150$. I posted the charge in the management software- It's been 2 days and I am waiting on their follow through. Today I messaged them and gave them a deadline- this coming Monday  to complete all of it- and after that I was just thing 7 day notice to cure- which my legal company who preps the lease would put together. Is this behavior common with tenants? As far as giving them a time line to complete the documentation- is mine reasonable? Thanks


     And so many post here on BP how easy it is to be your own PM!

    Tenants are tenants for a reason. 
    If they were proactive and stayed on top of things...

    You'll need to be more proactive with them.

    One of our favorite tactics is to confirm they've received something we've sent that needs to be completed and after they acknowledge they have it, ask them to sign and send back ending with, "I'll wait...". Many will sigh and then do it.

    • Member since 2025 · 81 posts · 19 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Drew Sygit:
      Quote from @Sasha Leans:

      I wanted to know other landlords input in this situation. I sent an AC person out for maintenance and he mentioned tenant had a dog. The have lived there a few months and the lease states no dog. The home's living room and 4 bedrooms were redone in laminate within the last 2-3 years.  When they moved in I had them sign an agreement about care of the laminate. They have 3 kids (5 and up) as well. I was at the home end of December related to a water leak issue and the last time I was there they tried to avoid having me in the home- boyfriend came out to give me the equipment I was returning. I asked the tenant about a dog and he stated that they were fostering and he asked about paperwork. I am in a very soft market- lots of rental inventory, and finding a new tenant in this market could be a long process. The dog is not considered an aggressive breed- I asked for a pic of the dog, his rabies record, and his weight height info and send them a pet addendum, with 500$ non refundable pet fee. I also let then know I would cover the rental insurance ( I only require it if you have a pet for liability reasons)- it was around 150$. I posted the charge in the management software- It's been 2 days and I am waiting on their follow through. Today I messaged them and gave them a deadline- this coming Monday  to complete all of it- and after that I was just thing 7 day notice to cure- which my legal company who preps the lease would put together. Is this behavior common with tenants? As far as giving them a time line to complete the documentation- is mine reasonable? Thanks


       And so many post here on BP how easy it is to be your own PM!

      Tenants are tenants for a reason. 
      If they were proactive and stayed on top of things...

      You'll need to be more proactive with them.

      One of our favorite tactics is to confirm they've received something we've sent that needs to be completed and after they acknowledge they have it, ask them to sign and send back ending with, "I'll wait...". Many will sigh and then do it.


       You are funny 😁      I am just going to wait till 5pm Monday and if I don't receive it will move forward with 7 day notice to cure

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo

    You've been more than generous...they broke the terms of the lease and now they're not responding to your offer to 'cure' the situation for them?  Geez...I wish the dog could hide those tenants!  Know this:  the number one reason that landlords fail - according the the American Apartment Owner's Assn - is the failure of the landlord to manage to the lease.  At this point, you're got an offer out to them but on the day following your deadline, be prepared to post that Notice To Quit on their door or hand-deliver it to them.  I would also put your conditions/offer in writing to them if you haven't already.  I love dogs; your tenants, well, not so much.

    • Member since 2025 · 81 posts · 19 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Patricia Steiner:

      You've been more than generous...they broke the terms of the lease and now they're not responding to your offer to 'cure' the situation for them?  Geez...I wish the dog could hide those tenants!  Know this:  the number one reason that landlords fail - according the the American Apartment Owner's Assn - is the failure of the landlord to manage to the lease.  At this point, you're got an offer out to them but on the day following your deadline, be prepared to post that Notice To Quit on their door or hand-deliver it to them.  I would also put your conditions/offer in writing to them if you haven't already.  I love dogs; your tenants, well, not so much.


       Here's the timeline-

      I found out they had a dog on 2/10 because of the AC person- I confirmed with the tenant via text same day. In the same text the tenant asked if they could start paperwork for the dog.  One confirmed I sent an email explaining- if the pet was insurable they could do a pet addendum with the lease, I would get the renters insurance, and they would owe 500$ for non refundable pet fee.  The tenant followed up 2/10- telling me the breed of the dog and giving me the rabies info I requested.             

      2/11- I sent them the pet addendum to sign, and the insurance agent sent the tenant the. copy of the insurance doc to sign. 

      2/12 I uploaded the fee on my management software. 

      2/13- I sent a follow up email giving them a deadline 2/16 5pm to pay the fee, sign the addendum/return to me and sign the insurance doc.

      I texted the tenant 2/13 to ask if he received the insurance email and he did not respond. 

      They both work, so it's possible they are just busy. But either way, if nothing happens I will start the 7 day notice and If I need to evict them- then I will.

  • Member since 2026 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7mo
    It did not take me 30 days to get an ESA certificate (in CA). Week max.
    • Dan H.Pro Member
      Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Andrea Hochevar:
      It did not take me 30 days to get an ESA certificate (in CA). Week max.

       Your certificate likely is not valid. I invite you to look into AB468.     Ab468 requires the medical professional to see the person seeking the ESA at least 30 days before being able to provide a valid ESA certificate.


      there are a lot of weekend landlords that are unaware of various laws. I am aware of AB468 and only accept ESA certificates that meet the criteria of AB468 and that the medical provider indicates that they are aware of the ab468 requirements.  In particular, I want the medical provider to understand that they can be fined for illegitimate ESA certificates.  

      In my case, if I suspect a provider is providing bogus ESAs and aware of SB468, I am willing to fund the sting operation to catch the medical provider and ensure they are fined.

      Note this is a California only law to reduce bogus ESA authorizations.

      https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml...

      good luck

    • Member since 2026 · 2 posts · 0 votes
      6mo

      @Dan H. The management company accepted it, so...🤷‍♀️ This is only necessary because of the ridiculous standardization of "pet rent." Additional deposits? Fine. $25-100/month to keep my animals? Over the top. 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7mo

    @Sasha Leans renters insurance is in case they do something for which they are liable (like start a fire) and to protect their stuff in the case of any covered event (flood, fire etc) and additional living expenses during a covered event.  At minimum put it is as recommended but required is better. Most apartments do require it. Since it is an annual expense you are going to need to get it paid for next year too so consider that going forward.

    • Member since 2025 · 81 posts · 19 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Colleen F.:

      @Sasha Leans renters insurance is in case they do something for which they are liable (like start a fire) and to protect their stuff in the case of any covered event (flood, fire etc) and additional living expenses during a covered event.  At minimum put it is as recommended but required is better. Most apartments do require it. Since it is an annual expense you are going to need to get it paid for next year too so consider that going forward.


       I understand what you mean, but I think for protecting the tenant- it should be something that they elect and pay for. I have been told by my insurance person- that a for pet liability- my property insurance and my umbrella policy will not cover a liability issue- if it comes from a tenant's pet.  and that is the reason that I require it for any tenant who has a pet. But for what you mentioned in regards to other liability issues- I am covered with my insurance/ umbrella- so if a tenant decides to risk their own stuff by not getting renters insurance- it's on them.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7mo

    @Sasha Leans  I get your position but early on when I did not require it there was a recommended line in the lease I went over this with the tenants including cancelation of the lease if the property becomes uninhabitable. Most opted to purchase having never thought of those things and seeing how cheap it was. Depends on the tenant but yes it is their choice. 

    • Member since 2025 · 81 posts · 19 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Colleen F.:

      @Sasha Leans  I get your position but early on when I did not require it there was a recommended line in the lease I went over this with the tenants including cancelation of the lease if the property becomes uninhabitable. Most opted to purchase having never thought of those things and seeing how cheap it was. Depends on the tenant but yes it is their choice. 


       that makes a lot of sense. I understand where you are coming from and I think it's a good idea. I can do that in the future. thanks

  • Member since 2025 · 81 posts · 19 votes
    7mo

    I wanted to ask a follow up question-                                                                               If the tenants don't respond and follow through until a 7 day to cure is given

    if this was your tenant- In a soft market- would you plan on not renewing come when the lease ends?

  • Member since 2011 · 152 posts · 113 votes
    7mo

    Sasha has some valid concerns about the renters insurance. I have paid for renters insurance on behalf of tenants a few times because it's so important for the tenants to have that coverage. I would point out, though, that you CAN require them to have a set minimum amount of liability coverage, so I don't think that a concern about the tenants not getting the right coverage should be a driving reason behind buying the policy for them. We require them to get the insurance in all cases, and we either have them provide a screen shot of their coverage or we have them provide the agent's name so we can call and check coverage just like we call to make sure they have opened their utility accounts in their name as of the day of move-in. In the case of the insurance, we are also checking to see that our company name is listed on the policy with the proper address as Additional Interest. 

    • Member since 2025 · 81 posts · 19 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Joel Miller:

      Sasha has some valid concerns about the renters insurance. I have paid for renters insurance on behalf of tenants a few times because it's so important for the tenants to have that coverage. I would point out, though, that you CAN require them to have a set minimum amount of liability coverage, so I don't think that a concern about the tenants not getting the right coverage should be a driving reason behind buying the policy for them. We require them to get the insurance in all cases, and we either have them provide a screen shot of their coverage or we have them provide the agent's name so we can call and check coverage just like we call to make sure they have opened their utility accounts in their name as of the day of move-in. In the case of the insurance, we are also checking to see that our company name is listed on the policy with the proper address as Additional Interest. 


       I don't trust these tenants Joel. So I increased the pet deposit to cover the insurance. But I think you are doing the right things- I only manage a few rentals that are mine- so I am just doing what I prefer. Thank you

  • Rental Property Investor · Tustin, CA · Member since 2019 · 63 posts · 29 votes
    7mo

    I think you're handling the situation very well and being smart about keeping the market conditions in mind. It sounds like they understand they're in the wrong and want to make things right. Some tenants are struggling financially, so maybe breaking down the pet deposit into two payments might help them if they can't come up with the full $500 (this may be why they are dodging you). Best of luck. Cheers.

    • Member since 2025 · 81 posts · 19 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Jamison Remmers:

      I think you're handling the situation very well and being smart about keeping the market conditions in mind. It sounds like they understand they're in the wrong and want to make things right. Some tenants are struggling financially, so maybe breaking down the pet deposit into two payments might help them if they can't come up with the full $500 (this may be why they are dodging you). Best of luck. Cheers.


       Thank you Jamison, I appreciate the positive feedback. I initially thought that they wanted to make things right because even when I told them the fee- they responded by providing the info related to the dog that I requested. But after several days of silence- I texted the tenant 2 days ago (about whether he received the email from the insurance person to sign) and never heard back, and after following up again on Friday- and it's Sunday and they haven't followed through- I am more doubtful about them. I know what they both do and their income (the moved in August 2025- I confirmed the info regarding salary as part of the tenant verification process)- I don't think it's a lack of money issue. And if they had responded to my email and  said it was an issue with the amount- I would have worked with them. At this point they are avoiding.               I went ahead and filed the 7 days notice to cure with my legal company because that has the teeth- where as my email deadline has no teeth. And we will go from there. THanks

    • Rental Property Investor · Tustin, CA · Member since 2019 · 63 posts · 29 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Sasha Leans:
      Quote from @Jamison Remmers:

      I think you're handling the situation very well and being smart about keeping the market conditions in mind. It sounds like they understand they're in the wrong and want to make things right. Some tenants are struggling financially, so maybe breaking down the pet deposit into two payments might help them if they can't come up with the full $500 (this may be why they are dodging you). Best of luck. Cheers.


       Thank you Jamison, I appreciate the positive feedback. I initially thought that they wanted to make things right because even when I told them the fee- they responded by providing the info related to the dog that I requested. But after several days of silence- I texted the tenant 2 days ago (about whether he received the email from the insurance person to sign) and never heard back, and after following up again on Friday- and it's Sunday and they haven't followed through- I am more doubtful about them. I know what they both do and their income (the moved in August 2025- I confirmed the info regarding salary as part of the tenant verification process)- I don't think it's a lack of money issue. And if they had responded to my email and  said it was an issue with the amount- I would have worked with them. At this point they are avoiding.               I went ahead and filed the 7 days notice to cure with my legal company because that has the teeth- where as my email deadline has no teeth. And we will go from there. THanks


       I hope the 7-day notice gets their attention. Some people think avoiding issues makes them go away when they should just nip them in the bud. Best of luck, friend.

    • Member since 2025 · 81 posts · 19 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Jamison Remmers:
      Quote from @Sasha Leans:
      Quote from @Jamison Remmers:

      I think you're handling the situation very well and being smart about keeping the market conditions in mind. It sounds like they understand they're in the wrong and want to make things right. Some tenants are struggling financially, so maybe breaking down the pet deposit into two payments might help them if they can't come up with the full $500 (this may be why they are dodging you). Best of luck. Cheers.


       Thank you Jamison, I appreciate the positive feedback. I initially thought that they wanted to make things right because even when I told them the fee- they responded by providing the info related to the dog that I requested. But after several days of silence- I texted the tenant 2 days ago (about whether he received the email from the insurance person to sign) and never heard back, and after following up again on Friday- and it's Sunday and they haven't followed through- I am more doubtful about them. I know what they both do and their income (the moved in August 2025- I confirmed the info regarding salary as part of the tenant verification process)- I don't think it's a lack of money issue. And if they had responded to my email and  said it was an issue with the amount- I would have worked with them. At this point they are avoiding.               I went ahead and filed the 7 days notice to cure with my legal company because that has the teeth- where as my email deadline has no teeth. And we will go from there. THanks


       I hope the 7-day notice gets their attention. Some people think avoiding issues makes them go away when they should just nip them in the bud. Best of luck, friend.


       Thank you!

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7mo

    I gave up on caring about pets. Most of my tenants would sneak in pets. Some sneak in extra people. lol. I gave up on being the pet patrol and made all of mine pet friendly. I rarely ever have vacancies with my 33 properties so I’m fine with people piling in their cats and dogs. I’d say all of my tenants seem like lifers and won’t ever be able to afford to buy or qualify to buy a home. So I look at them as partners with me on my real estate journey. They pay me good monthly cash flow and pay off my mortgages, and I’ll allow them to have pets and extra people stay there. I allow them to paint or alter things in their houses. One tenant just upgraded the kitchen stove top from an electric stove to a gas stove. I want them happy and to stay forever. Turnovers within 3 or 4 years crush profits. My goal is to have them stay for at least a decade.

    • Member since 2025 · 81 posts · 19 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @John Morgan:

      I gave up on caring about pets. Most of my tenants would sneak in pets. Some sneak in extra people. lol. I gave up on being the pet patrol and made all of mine pet friendly. I rarely ever have vacancies with my 33 properties so I’m fine with people piling in their cats and dogs. I’d say all of my tenants seem like lifers and won’t ever be able to afford to buy or qualify to buy a home. So I look at them as partners with me on my real estate journey. They pay me good monthly cash flow and pay off my mortgages, and I’ll allow them to have pets and extra people stay there. I allow them to paint or alter things in their houses. One tenant just upgraded the kitchen stove top from an electric stove to a gas stove. I want them happy and to stay forever. Turnovers within 3 or 4 years crush profits. My goal is to have them stay for at least a decade.


       There's a thousand ways to look at an issue- if that works for you then good.      I allow pets at all of my rentals as well- but they must be insurable, authorized, and included in the lease.  From my experience, being nice and accommodating has been a good way to get run over- with my kids and with tenants. So having boundaries is the only way I can survive.

  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 566 posts · 329 votes
    7mo

    This is very common. Unauthorized pets are one of the most frequent early lease violations landlords see.

    You handled the first step correctly — you addressed it directly, requested documentation, and gave them a path to come into compliance instead of immediately escalating. In a soft market, that’s often the practical move.

    A few key points:

    • Yes, tenants sometimes test pet rules, especially if they think enforcement will be light.
    • A short deadline (a few days to a week) to complete paperwork and pay fees is reasonable.
    • If they comply, great — you’ve converted a violation into a controlled situation.
    • If they ignore it, that tells you more about how they’ll handle future lease obligations.

    The bigger issue isn’t the dog — it’s responsiveness. If they follow through by Monday, this likely becomes a non-issue. If they stall or avoid, that’s when you move to a formal notice to cure. Consistency matters more than emotion here.

    In soft markets, enforcing the lease clearly and calmly is usually better than looking the other way. You’re not being unreasonable — you’re setting boundaries.

  • New to Real Estate · Miami · Member since 2025 · 46 posts · 23 votes
    7mo

    The frustrating thing here is the unnecessary lying. But, we've all lied at some point, right? Even if we try not to and don't make a habit of it. I'm not a landlord, so my advice is purely from logical analysis and experience with human nature, but I say:

    What we care about as investors aren't the animals themselves, but the damage they tend to cause. And frankly, kids can cause just as much, if not more, damage than a canine friend. But having a "no kids" policy would be difficult in many areas and- if we analyze this at the big picture level-  even detrimental on a societal level. We want more new people in the world, not less, given that the U.S., like most developed countries, is below the replacement rate.

    So, like a couple of people said on here, I would simply allow the pets, but bake-in the cleaning cost into the rent and security deposit. If they DO NOT cause damage- You return the security deposit, etc. If THEY DO, you keep it. And you specify in the rent that the animals must be legal in the area and that they are responsible for all damages from their animals. At least that's how I would try to go about it

  • Real Estate Agent · Shoreham, NY · Member since 2016 · 96 posts · 44 votes
    7mo

    @Sasha Leans

    I faced a similar situation with an unauthorized pet. Resident was informed pet application and $150 feet needed to be submitted. Unauthorized pets are considered a lease violation and are charged to the start of the lease. Pet rent is a yearly fee and paid monthly for the convenience of the resident. I s accepted the birth of the dog instead of the start of the lease. Tenant paid the $150 application fee, $600 in past pet rents and $35 a month going forward. She did try submitting the ESA letter. She was given the choice of paying the fees or moving out. It wasn’t her the dog, but the trust factor that mattered the most.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.