How do you handle maintenance coordination for a small PM portfolio?

How do you handle maintenance coordination for a small PM portfolio?

Member since 2026 · 6 posts · 9 votes

Running a small property management company under 80 units. Maintenance coordination is my biggest headache. triaging urgency, getting owner approvals before dispatching vendors, tracking aging work orders, keeping everyone updated without drowning in texts.

PropertyMeld requires 100 doors and $160/month. LeadSimple requires AppFolio. Neither works for my size.

How are you handling this? And would you pay around $49/month flat for a simple tool that does just this. no PMS required, no per-door fees?

0Reply
334 views

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • David PeschioBusiness Member
    Richmond, VA · Member since 2019 · 358 posts · 181 votes
    6mo

    Have you considered hiring a remote worker to help assist?

  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6mo

    You are right around the corner from 100 units. You could probably pay for the extra 20 units with the anticipation of growth. I would suggest working something out with Appfolio, that what we did. If I remember right, we had about 60 units when we started with Appfolio, but we were in a heavy growth mode. We were over 200 within 6 months of that. You can always partner with another PMC. There are lots throughout the country that would be willing to buy in to your company.

  • Property Manager · Calabasas, CA · Member since 2026 · 141 posts · 67 votes
    6mo

    On the commercial side the problem runs a little different — my portfolio is retail and industrial so the "urgency" triage has an extra layer: is this a tenant obligation under their NNN lease or is it actually mine? Sorting that out before dispatching a vendor saves a lot of awkward conversations later.

    For under-100 doors I've found the combination of a simple shared spreadsheet (Google Sheets with conditional formatting for aging work orders) plus a dedicated maintenance request email alias gets you surprisingly far. The real headache is owner approvals — I set up a tiered threshold system: anything under $300 I handle and report after, $300-$1500 gets a text approval, over $1500 gets a call. That alone cuts the back-and-forth in half because owners aren't being looped in on every $75 light fixture.

    On your tool question: yes, I'd pay $49/month for something focused on just maintenance coordination without requiring a full PMS. The market really has a gap at the sub-100 door level. The products built for larger shops assume you have dedicated coordinators and an existing AppFolio workflow, which just isn't the reality for most of us managing small commercial or mixed portfolios.

  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 561 posts · 327 votes
    6mo

    At your size, the issue usually isn't the lack of a tool — it's that the workflow hasn't been simplified enough yet. 

    What you're describing (triage, approvals, tracking, updates) is exactly where most small PMs get stuck because everything is happening across texts, calls and scattered systems. That fragmentation is what creates the "headache," not just volume.

    The operators I’ve seen handle this well usually tighten the process before adding tech:
    • Standard triage rules (what gets auto-dispatched vs. what needs approval)
    • Pre-set owner thresholds (ex: anything under $300 moves without approval)
    • Defined vendor scope expectations upfront (photos, before/after, timelines)
    • One communication channel per job (not text + email + calls)

    Once that's in place, even a simple tool works because you're just reinforcing a system — not trying to replace one. 

    On the tool side, you're right that most platforms are built for scale or bundled into a full PMS. The gap for smaller portfolios is real. That said, the value isn't just ticket tracking — it's centralizing requests, vendor communications and status so you're not chasing updates all day. 

    Would I pay $49/month? Probably — if it actually enforces workflow (intake → triage → dispatch → closeout) and reduces back-and-forth. If it's just another place to log tickets, it won't move the needle much. 

     

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Hamza Ouazza:

    Running a small property management company under 80 units. Maintenance coordination is my biggest headache. triaging urgency, getting owner approvals before dispatching vendors, tracking aging work orders, keeping everyone updated without drowning in texts.

    PropertyMeld requires 100 doors and $160/month. LeadSimple requires AppFolio. Neither works for my size.

    How are you handling this? And would you pay around $49/month flat for a simple tool that does just this. no PMS required, no per-door fees?


    What tool is $49/month?

    Or is that your sales pitch? 

    • Member since 2026 · 6 posts · 9 votes
      6mo

      no not a sales pitch. there is no tool at that price point that I've found, which is why I'm asking. Genuinely trying to figure out how other small PMs are solving this before I either build something myself or settle for a workaround. Curious how you've handled it at your scale.

    • Drew SygitBusiness Member
      Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Hamza Ouazza:

      no not a sales pitch. there is no tool at that price point that I've found, which is why I'm asking. Genuinely trying to figure out how other small PMs are solving this before I either build something myself or settle for a workaround. Curious how you've handled it at your scale.


      Not going to type it all here.

      If you're serious, DM me to schedule a chat:) 

  • Property Manager · Member since 2026 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5mo

    Managing under 80 units, I've seen a simple Excel system handle this well  urgency triage, owner approval tracking, vendor dispatch log, and work order aging all in one place. No monthly fees, no minimum doors. Built something similar for a landlord recently. If you're open to it I can show you what that looks like.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.