Live in Detroit, Invest in Windsor

Live in Detroit, Invest in Windsor

Investor · MI · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 6 votes

Hi BP Canada! 

With the US dollar so currently being high against the CAN dollar, I was thinking about buying my next property across the border. I feel prices on this side of the border have become highly inflated and I could potentially get more bang for my buck somewhere in Southwest Ontario. I currently like working with SFH but I'm open to duplexes. Does anyone have any experience with cross border investments?

0Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Roy N.Pro Member
Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
10y

@Ming Lim

The economy is not that terribly strong, the country technically entered a recession in August.   Additionally, real estate is overpriced in many parts of the country - Canada was second on the list of countries with the least affordable housing this year.

That said, there are still deals to be found, but they are thinner and further apart.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Kah M.

    If you think prices are inflated on the US side of the border, you're definitely looking in the wrong place if you think there are better deals on the Canadian side. Having said that, Windsor has probably some of the lowest priced properties in all of Ontario, and a quick look on MLS shows 250+ properties under CAN$100K. The economy is not the best in Windsor, as is very manufacturing dependent, but with the lower dollar should spur some exports and stage a slow recovery.

  • Small Business Owner · Lethbridge, Alberta · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    I visit Windsor often as I have family there. I have heard that the city has a lot of development plans so as to spur on growth and recover the economy, though I am not sure how much progress has been made on that. While the prices are great, if the city won't grow, then you will have no renters. Look into whether or not the economy looks like it has hope first :) Good luck

  • Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 320 posts · 125 votes
    10y

    I'm surprised there aren't more folks from the US looking to buy in Canada. The exchange rate makes buying a real advantage. Plus, the economy in Canada is pretty strong with many cities still good places to buy. I don't know anyone who has experience with the kind of cross boarder investing you're looking at, but keep us all abreast if you find someone. I'd love to learn more about the process myself.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    @Ming Lim

    The economy is not that terribly strong, the country technically entered a recession in August.   Additionally, real estate is overpriced in many parts of the country - Canada was second on the list of countries with the least affordable housing this year.

    That said, there are still deals to be found, but they are thinner and further apart.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.