• Investor
  • Surrey, British Columbia
Votes |
It's pretty scary trying to furnish your first 4 bedroom/3 Bath

Ko Seng
  • Investor
  • Surrey, British Columbia
Posted Sep 20 2016, 17:13

I recently bought a 4 bedroom/3 Bath loft unit here in Surrey, BC Canada. We take possession on Sept 30/2016. There are currently tenants in the units but they will be leaving before we get the keys. So my wife and i decided to turn this into a short term vacation home and have been very busy the last few months trying to collect furniture/new floors/smart locks/etc.. I try not to think about all the things we need to furnish this place. I just take it day by day looking for good deals on craigslist and furniture stores. You will be surprised how many things you can get on craigslist for an amazing price and pretty much new. 

When i found my first item that i wanted to pick up on craigslist, i quickly realized that i needed a bigger vehicle than my honda civic. So i tried to borrow my friends truck and quickly realized that was not possible. Reason why, his insurance would be affected if i get into an accident. So he suggested i buy a cheap van. So that's exactly what i did. I jumped on craigslist and found myself a mini van 2005 Dodge Caravan for $2200 CAD the very next day. Good thing about this van is that it's cheap and i can write this off eventually including the gas. I may even sell this for the same price after i finish furnishing the unit. You'll be surprised what you can fit in a mini van!

Funny story! I am 39 years old and decided to join my 5 year son at the skate board ramps. He loves to scooter, so i thought maybe i can join him on my roller blades that day. I was feeling pretty good and going up and down the ramps and thought this wasn't that hard. Now my wife shows up to pick us up and my son says to me "Daddy try to follow me". So i follow him going down the first hill, then i see him go over the second hill... so i follow him, but for some reason when i tried to follow him over the second hill, i kept on flying in the air next thing i knew. I was on the ground with to sprained wrists! Worst feeling ever! This just happened right after i picked up the moving van. So now when i find good deals on furniture to pick up, i would get the buyer and my wife to move things into the van, while i watch with my 2 sprained wrists. My wife is great about, she laughs about the situation all the time. It's now been over a month and it's slowing healing.

It's a little scary when i stop to think about all the money i am spending right now to furnish this place and i am not even sure if i will make any profit at the end of each month. But that's the risk i am willing to take. 

I will keep you guys update on my journey and let you know how things work out.

Cheers

Loading replies...