What neighbourhoods to look at or avoid in Calgary

What neighbourhoods to look at or avoid in Calgary

Rental Property Investor · kelowna, bc · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 22 votes

Starting to look out in Calgary for suites houses and duplex/fourplex buildings.

What areas of the city (neighbourhoods) do you/would you invest in?

Which areas would you steer away from?

Usually looking for properties needing work and BRRRR'ing them.

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2018 · 291 posts · 132 votes
6y

I'm also a big fan for Huntington Hills for the home value/rent ratio and potential for future growth, large lots and bungalows also means nice basement suites. There seems to be a sweet spot for decent cash flow neither inner city or outer edge.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Hi, we only look at NW, SW but really what we care about is whether the property cash flows. Stay away from the outer neighbourhoods because renters usually want to be closer in. Hope that helps a bit. 

  • Investor · Calgary, AB · Member since 2020 · 35 posts · 18 votes
    6y

    Hey Chris! I hope more people respond to this thread because I think this is a super important question. As a disclaimer I do not own any properties yet so this is just from me looking at neighborhoods and what kinds of deals they have. I really like Dalhousie, it is close to the train line and there is a good mix of older and newer houses so you can find deals and the neighborhood is desirable, plus it is significantly cheeper than the closer neighborhoods. I also think Huntington Hills is worth checking out for BRRRR because getting a property to cash flow in that area is easier and the properties are less expensive than most of Calgary. I hope this is helpful, please let me know if you think I'm wrong (it will only help me in the future!) or if you want me to add anything. Best of luck!

  • Realtor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2018 · 291 posts · 132 votes
    6y

    I'm also a big fan for Huntington Hills for the home value/rent ratio and potential for future growth, large lots and bungalows also means nice basement suites. There seems to be a sweet spot for decent cash flow neither inner city or outer edge.

  • Lender · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2020 · 55 posts · 18 votes
    6y

    Hi @Chris Muller

    I currently have a property with a legal suite in Albert Park.

    The neighbourhood us "up and coming" and there is a lot of opportunities to purchase rentals there.

    I have never had any issues finding or keeping tenants and the values in this area are very reasonable.

    5 minutes to downtown, the zoo, Telus spark, Inglewood and the ring road.

    I feel this are is hugely underrated for investors.

  • Realtor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2018 · 291 posts · 132 votes
    6y
    Is that Forest lawn?

    Originally posted by @Owen Langis:

    Hi @Chris Muller

    I currently have a property with a legal suite in Albert Park.

    The neighbourhood us "up and coming" and there is a lot of opportunities to purchase rentals there.

    I have never had any issues finding or keeping tenants and the values in this area are very reasonable.

    5 minutes to downtown, the zoo, Telus spark, Inglewood and the ring road.

    I feel this are is hugely underrated for investors.

  • Lender · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2020 · 55 posts · 18 votes
    6y

    Close to that area but far enough away to not have the same stigma :) lol

    Personally, I wouldn't purchase in Forrest Lawn.

    Having said that, the location offers great value/ cashflow opportunities and there are great people looking for a long term relationship with a quality landlord.

    Nowhere else in the city can you purchase a full 4-plex for ~$500k.

  • Rental Property Investor · Calgary (Rental in Kihei Maui, HI) · Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Owen Langis

    The quality of the new construction going on in Albert Park is interesting too. Some very nice replacement houses. small bungalows replaced with 2+ Storey houses that get a view of the mountains plus the well done apartment condos on the site of the old school. And it’s framed on the north by the LRT and south by the BRT makes it a great commuter location.

  • Lender · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2020 · 55 posts · 18 votes
    6y

    @Bryan Waller 100% correct.

    The city is pumping big money into 17th ave as well to clean it up.

    there are lots of new infills being developed and investors are quietly buying up the double-wide lots to subdivide.

    The view of downtown and the mountains is unbelievable, and the location to the rest of the city is amazing!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.