First time home buyer in Ontario, Canada looking for advice

First time home buyer in Ontario, Canada looking for advice

New to Real Estate · Toronto, ON · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hello BP community, I would like to seek your valuable advice in getting my first property in Ontario. I currently have a permanent remote role and looking for detached/semi-detached properties in London, Brantford, Cambridge, St. Catherines & Woodstock. I do not have a family (Single).

I have 10% savings for a 450k (max pre-approved, including 10% down) house and so far had hard luck in finding detached/semi-detached properties in the above-mentioned regions due to the crazy ongoing bidding wars. Condos/townhomes are the last priority considering the cash flow/appreciation. 

I'm looking for a house that is in livable condition and open to spending up to 10-15k if not in livable condition during occupancy.

Here is where I wanted to ask for inputs.

1. Is there any way to find deals before the properties get listed on MLS?

2. Based on 450k (pre-qualification) what are the best places in Ontario to look for (considering rental income via basement/extra rooms)

3. Any RE strategies I can apply? (other than house hacking which I am already considering)

I'm here to learn and would appreciate your inputs/feedback.


Thank you,

Tarun

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Lien VuongBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

You can ask your agent to prospect for you by calling or mailing the neighborhood, network with their agent sphere for pocket listings are coming soon, private sales, and/or distressed situations. In my years of RE, it's always been a relationship game where I was able to secure deals for clients because of the people I know and maintaining constant contact with them. 

Best of luck getting started!

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Kitchener, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 687 posts · 370 votes
    5y

    Hi Tarun

    We have recently found that in your price range you could find what you are looking for in the London area and West for Ontario or the North.

    To find properties that are not on the MLS - you really need to market for them on social media or door-knock them from driving around and finding them.

  • Lien VuongBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    You can ask your agent to prospect for you by calling or mailing the neighborhood, network with their agent sphere for pocket listings are coming soon, private sales, and/or distressed situations. In my years of RE, it's always been a relationship game where I was able to secure deals for clients because of the people I know and maintaining constant contact with them. 

    Best of luck getting started!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Barrie, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Check Zolo.ca. You don't need real estate agent to find the property or MLS access. Also you can find the house that sold by the owner - huge savings by not paying real estate ridiculous fees. That's how I bought my house in Barrie. All what you have to pay is the lawyers fees to put purchase agreement together & check that it's legally clean - no leans etc. Another thing - have to act fast good deals aren't sitting for a long on the market. Good luck.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.