Starting from the bottom. HELP PLEASE

Starting from the bottom. HELP PLEASE

Member since 2022 · 7 posts · 5 votes

Hi! 

My name is Jesse, and I am currently living in The Bay Area,California. I lived in the lubbock area years ago and still have many friends who live there.

Ive never been a homeowner, let alone an investor. I have no idea where to start or who to talk to,in order to gain more knowledge on the subject of investing in real estate. 

I do know that the housing market is much more affordable than here in the bay area,and that lubbock is a growing economy and I am interested in learning more if anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

1Reply
96 views

Most Popular Reply

Nicholas L.Pro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
3y

@Jesse Hubble

-Reduce your expenses and save up as much as you can

-Read Scott Trench's book and Brandon Turner's books

-Go to local REIA meetings and talk to other investors

-Research house hacking

-Call lenders

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    @Jesse Hubble

    -Reduce your expenses and save up as much as you can

    -Read Scott Trench's book and Brandon Turner's books

    -Go to local REIA meetings and talk to other investors

    -Research house hacking

    -Call lenders

  • Jared HottleBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA · Member since 2020 · 902 posts · 549 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nicholas L.:

    @Jesse Hubble

    -Reduce your expenses and save up as much as you can

    -Read Scott Trench's book and Brandon Turner's books

    -Go to local REIA meetings and talk to other investors

    -Research house hacking

    -Call lenders

     I was going to start typing but then saw this from @Nicholas L. and wow. If you can just do these things consistently amazing things will happen. I should get it tattooed on my body. Spot on

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Happy to hop on the phone and talk real estate 

  • Real Estate Agent · Lubbock Tx · Member since 2020 · 77 posts · 44 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jesse Hubble:

    Hi! 

    My name is Jesse, and I am currently living in The Bay Area,California. I lived in the lubbock area years ago and still have many friends who live there.

    Ive never been a homeowner, let alone an investor. I have no idea where to start or who to talk to,in order to gain more knowledge on the subject of investing in real estate. 

    I do know that the housing market is much more affordable than here in the bay area,and that lubbock is a growing economy and I am interested in learning more if anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

     @Jesse Hubble

    I'm currently here in Lubbock, I would suggest to determine your level of risk and what is your vision for investments. Once you have an idea for what investments look for you then you can start consuming all the great knowledge on here and online. 

  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Jesse Hubble - I recommend reading as much as possible. Your scenario isn't unique (luckily) and people have written about it. You can start by looking up books by BP on Amazon, that's how I started :) 

  • Member since 2020 · 241 posts · 179 votes
    3y

    A strategy I used for my first home purchase was to park a travel trailer in a far corner to live in while I rented the house out. The property was sloped so it was easy to run the sewer, water, and electrical to the trailer. I invested the rental proceeds into property improvements and eventually refinanced to purchase another property.

    As you know, it's really tough to purchase your first home in the Bay area unless you're making 6 figures. 

  • Nathan HoltPro Member
    Newark Ohio · Member since 2022 · 63 posts · 51 votes
    3y

    This is exactly where I was 2 years ago. I just started listening to as many podcast and audiobooks as I could to gain as much information as I could until I figured out exactly what I was going to do and how I was going to do it. I settles on long term rentals starting with a house hack in small multi family and working my way into large multi family. 

    I collected all the podcasts that helped me the most I'll post the link to a couple of the playlists here. I have a playlist for almost every strategy and aspect so if you don't want one of these I can give you something else if you are interested.

    Short term:

    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3cgfTV1m75LOkfVOINNkxq?si=yV0Ti65eTsmlFHf7QSZM_Q

    House hacking:

    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2DZuDflfk97MBRVgQs0wJJ?si=hy3uF6EUQKaqzpEZv5-38g

    Flipping:

    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7KkUPIbfglJV7CN5C0H4ho?si=MrGMCTbySmuzEGKzlRMvXQ

    BRRR:

    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7H0jtUdjfc0XTjpLRvkJCf?si=z23VwLqHQb64LXHjSn-QpA

    Commercial:

    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2kP8wtoeFRpShBdOkiqDf7?si=U_bE3UGiQRymA6ovgXPpyg

  • Travis TurnerBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Lubbock, TX · Member since 2021 · 45 posts · 28 votes
    3y

    Hey Jesse!


    I currently live in operate in Lubbock, Texas. I have a property management company as well as a local agent who also invest in the area with long term and short term rentals. As well as remodeling. If you have any questions about Lubbock, I can definitely help feel free to reach out :)

  • Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 15 votes
    3y

    Jesse- 

    Travis has a wealth of knowledge and a good guy. His parents are run a couple of great places to eat her in town. 

    Im also an investor / realtor in Lubbock. We are mostly buy and hold and do a couple of flips a year. 

    My $0.02 is determine what you are looking to invest in. Lower income - can be high cashflow with more headaches. But cheaper to get into.

    Middle class - more stable, more competitive, costs more to play. Less headaches.

    Multi family is hard to find any deals it seems like.

    Anyways - Im always open to sharing the info I have. 

    Cheers-

    Tomas

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    How many of the articles and books available here on BP have you read?

  • Lender · Comfort, TX · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 33 votes
    3y

    Hey Jesse,

    I own a rental in Lubbock and would be happy to hop on a phone call with you if you'd like.  

    Have a great day! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.