User Stats

Votes
Jesse Hubble
Votes |
Starting from the bottom. HELP PLEASE

Jesse Hubble
Posted Nov 10 2022, 22:47

Hi! 

My name is Jesse, and I am currently living in The Bay Area,California. I lived in the lubbock area years ago and still have many friends who live there.

Ive never been a homeowner, let alone an investor. I have no idea where to start or who to talk to,in order to gain more knowledge on the subject of investing in real estate. 

I do know that the housing market is much more affordable than here in the bay area,and that lubbock is a growing economy and I am interested in learning more if anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
#1 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Nov 11 2022, 04:45

@Jesse Hubble

-Reduce your expenses and save up as much as you can

-Read Scott Trench's book and Brandon Turner's books

-Go to local REIA meetings and talk to other investors

-Research house hacking

-Call lenders

User Stats

Votes
Jared Hottle
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA
Replied Nov 11 2022, 04:51
Quote from @Nicholas L.:

@Jesse Hubble

-Reduce your expenses and save up as much as you can

-Read Scott Trench's book and Brandon Turner's books

-Go to local REIA meetings and talk to other investors

-Research house hacking

-Call lenders

I was going to start typing but then saw this from @Nicholas L. and wow. If you can just do these things consistently amazing things will happen. I should get it tattooed on my body. Spot on

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 11 2022, 07:06

Happy to hop on the phone and talk real estate 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Mendez
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lubbock Tx
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lubbock Tx
Replied Nov 11 2022, 07:15
Quote from @Jesse Hubble:

Hi! 

My name is Jesse, and I am currently living in The Bay Area,California. I lived in the lubbock area years ago and still have many friends who live there.

Ive never been a homeowner, let alone an investor. I have no idea where to start or who to talk to,in order to gain more knowledge on the subject of investing in real estate. 

I do know that the housing market is much more affordable than here in the bay area,and that lubbock is a growing economy and I am interested in learning more if anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

@Jesse Hubble

I'm currently here in Lubbock, I would suggest to determine your level of risk and what is your vision for investments. Once you have an idea for what investments look for you then you can start consuming all the great knowledge on here and online. 

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Nov 11 2022, 07:36

Hey @Jesse Hubble - I recommend reading as much as possible. Your scenario isn't unique (luckily) and people have written about it. You can start by looking up books by BP on Amazon, that's how I started :) 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 11 2022, 07:49

A strategy I used for my first home purchase was to park a travel trailer in a far corner to live in while I rented the house out. The property was sloped so it was easy to run the sewer, water, and electrical to the trailer. I invested the rental proceeds into property improvements and eventually refinanced to purchase another property.

As you know, it's really tough to purchase your first home in the Bay area unless you're making 6 figures. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Holt
Pro Member
  • Newark Ohio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Newark Ohio
Replied Nov 11 2022, 07:51

This is exactly where I was 2 years ago. I just started listening to as many podcast and audiobooks as I could to gain as much information as I could until I figured out exactly what I was going to do and how I was going to do it. I settles on long term rentals starting with a house hack in small multi family and working my way into large multi family. 

I collected all the podcasts that helped me the most I'll post the link to a couple of the playlists here. I have a playlist for almost every strategy and aspect so if you don't want one of these I can give you something else if you are interested.

Short term:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3cgfTV1m75LOkfVOINNkxq?si=yV0Ti65eTsmlFHf7QSZM_Q

House hacking:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2DZuDflfk97MBRVgQs0wJJ?si=hy3uF6EUQKaqzpEZv5-38g

Flipping:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7KkUPIbfglJV7CN5C0H4ho?si=MrGMCTbySmuzEGKzlRMvXQ

BRRR:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7H0jtUdjfc0XTjpLRvkJCf?si=z23VwLqHQb64LXHjSn-QpA

Commercial:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2kP8wtoeFRpShBdOkiqDf7?si=U_bE3UGiQRymA6ovgXPpyg

User Stats

Votes
Travis Turner
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lubbock, TX
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lubbock, TX
Replied Nov 11 2022, 08:01

Hey Jesse!

I currently live in operate in Lubbock, Texas. I have a property management company as well as a local agent who also invest in the area with long term and short term rentals. As well as remodeling. If you have any questions about Lubbock, I can definitely help feel free to reach out :)

• Real Estate Agent Texas (#660475)

Brick and Loft Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 11 2022, 09:08

Jesse- 

Travis has a wealth of knowledge and a good guy. His parents are run a couple of great places to eat her in town. 

Im also an investor / realtor in Lubbock. We are mostly buy and hold and do a couple of flips a year. 

My $0.02 is determine what you are looking to invest in. Lower income - can be high cashflow with more headaches. But cheaper to get into.

Middle class - more stable, more competitive, costs more to play. Less headaches.

Multi family is hard to find any deals it seems like.

Anyways - Im always open to sharing the info I have. 

Cheers-

Tomas

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Nov 11 2022, 13:35

How many of the articles and books available here on BP have you read?

User Stats

Votes
Kaci Hunter
  • Lender
  • Comfort, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Comfort, TX
Replied Nov 11 2022, 14:27

Hey Jesse,

I own a rental in Lubbock and would be happy to hop on a phone call with you if you'd like.  

Have a great day!