Are you a Peer Street Investor/Creditor?

Are you a Peer Street Investor/Creditor?

Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 14 votes

I’m starting this thread in response to the recent bankruptcy filing of Peer Street. Several Peer Street investors seem to be on bigger pockets, so I wanted to get us all on one thread, if possible to share resources and information, make sure we comply with deadlines in the BK process, etc. 

One date we should all be aware of currently is the creditor call scheduled for August 2. I plan to be on that call and would be happy to provide a summary here.

11Reply
139 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
3y

@Viktor S.

We invest in mortgage notes and have many borrowers who file BK and thus we have to go through this process. Probably been through it 50-100 times

Creditor attorney we use is Sottile and Barile

Out of Ohio. Tony Sottile runs the BK side and has a person who only does ch 11.

Happy to connect you with them.

7e investments53 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

100 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 3 votes
    3y

    Following!

    Also found this related subreddit /r/Peerstreet_Creditors/

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Erin Madden:

    I’m starting this thread in response to the recent bankruptcy filing of Peer Street. Several Peer Street investors seem to be on bigger pockets, so I wanted to get us all on one thread, if possible to share resources and information, make sure we comply with deadlines in the BK process, etc. 

    One date we should all be aware of currently is the creditor call scheduled for August 2. I plan to be on that call and would be happy to provide a summary here.

    This is a great place for people to discuss this, as a lender but not someone involved in this mess, I would strongly advise every person seek counsel opinion ASAP on what they need to do. For example there are filings by Peerstreet already that objections are due by July 11th. Do those pertain to you, no idea but I would not be sitting around waiting and I would get an attorney involved. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Member since 2023 · 16 posts · 15 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Erin Madden:

    I’m starting this thread in response to the recent bankruptcy filing of Peer Street. Several Peer Street investors seem to be on bigger pockets, so I wanted to get us all on one thread, if possible to share resources and information, make sure we comply with deadlines in the BK process, etc. 

    One date we should all be aware of currently is the creditor call scheduled for August 2. I plan to be on that call and would be happy to provide a summary here.

    This is a great place for people to discuss this, as a lender but not someone involved in this mess, I would strongly advise every person seek counsel opinion ASAP on what they need to do. For example there are filings by Peerstreet already that objections are due by July 11th. Do those pertain to you, no idea but I would not be sitting around waiting and I would get an attorney involved. 

    What type of lawyer should we look for? Is there someone that already is representing the creditors as a group, or we need individual lawyers?
    Say I want to find a lawyer for this situation, what type of lawyer do I google, where do I begin?

    What sort of objections are due by 11 July, what do we need to do by then?
  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
    3y

    There's been talk of a group attorney on the reddit group chat, but nothing offical is setup yet.

  • Member since 2023 · 16 posts · 15 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Rob Schrader:

    There's been talk of a group attorney on the reddit group chat, but nothing offical is setup yet.


     Thank you Rob. If something comes up, can you please cross-post here as well? Some people are suggesting that it's best to be prompt. I personally don't know, but would like to be as informed as possible. Thanks in advance!

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y

    @Viktor S.

    We invest in mortgage notes and have many borrowers who file BK and thus we have to go through this process. Probably been through it 50-100 times

    Creditor attorney we use is Sottile and Barile

    Out of Ohio. Tony Sottile runs the BK side and has a person who only does ch 11.

    Happy to connect you with them.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 19 votes
    3y

    Thanks for starting this thread.  Anyone have an experienced attorney in mind that is reasonably priced?

  • Member since 2023 · 16 posts · 15 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Adam Wasserman:

    Thanks for starting this thread.  Anyone have an experienced attorney in mind that is reasonably priced?

    I’m in the same boat, looking for a lawyer familiar with this matter. But perhaps more importantly: what do we do with the lawyer?
    Is it about filing proof of claim, or a bigger step against PeerStreet, that perhaps we should do as a group?
  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 19 votes
    3y

    @Viktor S.

    Good question.  I'll reach out to a real estate attorney that I know on Monday.  I'll report back what he says.  Please do the same, if you or anyone has any insight or info

    Thanks

  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 19 votes
    3y

    Also, just so I'm clear on this.  As investors are we considered Creditors? 

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y

    @Adam Wasserman

    Yes you are a creditor

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Member since 2023 · 16 posts · 15 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Adam Wasserman:

    @Viktor S.

    Good question.  I'll reach out to a real estate attorney that I know on Monday.  I'll report back what he says.  Please do the same, if you or anyone has any insight or info

    Thanks

    Thanks Adam. I spoke to someone on Friday. What I was advised was:
    - wait until 2 August meeting, there's no deadline
    - file proof of claim afterwards

    Some lawyers offer to attend the meeting for you, but that seemed kind of expensive, because they wouldn't agree for me to share the cost with another client.

    If you learn something different, or any new insights, please share here. My current understanding is that there's no rush until 2 August.
  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 19 votes
    3y

    @Chris Seveney - Thanks

    @Viktor S. -  Thanks for the info Viktor, I will still reach out to my attorney on Monday and report back what he says.  

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 1 vote
    3y

    Thank you. I am an individual investor and wondering what to do as well thanks

  • Member since 2023 · 16 posts · 15 votes
    3y

    @Adam Wasserman any news, insights to share?

    Thanks

  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 19 votes
    3y

    @Viktor S. Still waiting on the attorney to get back to me.  I just shot him out another follow up email, so I suspect tomorrow sometime I should hear something.

  • Member since 2023 · 16 posts · 15 votes
    3y

    I want to share one post from reddit, please pass it around https://www.reddit.com/r/Peers...

    I'd like to suggest that you defend the following idea: for unsecured creditors, especially the ones invested in mortgage notes, increasing the fee used to service the loan, in order to make it possible to continue servicing the loan to its completion, rather than selling it at a discount, will yield a significantly better outcome for us.

    What seems to have led PeerStreet to their demise is that they saw their revenue drop while their cost not dropping enough (and weren't able to secure more funding, possibly thankfully for us unsecured creditors). This is because their fees per loan were actually kind of small: 1-2.5% IIRC. This was good for us investors as we got more of the loan's interest.

    But now, we're faced with the possibility that instead of servicing loans to their completion and getting our capital back, PS might choose to sell the loans for steep discounts.

    All these loans (or most?) had at least 20% cushion between the loan value and the collateral, they should be relatively safe to service to completion, and that's the reason why we all chose to invest in this. If instead of selling the loan, PS used let's say even 100% of the loan's interest payments towards servicing it to completion, the worst would be we'd get ~100% of the capital back, and a 0% return. This would be WAY better than getting say 30-50% of the capital back, meaning a -50% to -70% return.

    That's the whole point of the "bankruptcy remote" originally: that in the worst-case scenario, while winding down or after winding down the business, loans would be services to their completion and most investor's capital would be recovered either by honest borrowers paying off their loans or by foreclosing on the properties and getting the capital back thanks to the 20-30% LTV cushion.

    By stating that they want to sell the loans portfolio PeerStreet is essentially completely breaking the promise of the bankruptcy-remote structure. It would make the bankruptcy-remote structure totally useless in fact, and it would make having invested in collateral-backed notes totally useless. We all invested based on the fact that because there was a collateral, there was a way to get most of the capital back in case of failure. We should not let the bankruptcy court or PeerStreet's lawyers screw us over by selling the loans. Most loans have interest rates still not too far from traditional mortgages. And all loans were at most 24 months. So that means all performing-til-the-end loans would return capital within 24mo, and the other within that time frame + foreclosure time. That's not that long of a time to make investors whole, there is absolutely no need to rush selling the portfolio of loans at a steep discount, except for PeerStreet's exec team to be off the hook and done.

  • Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    3y

    By stating that they want to sell the loans portfolio PeerStreet is essentially completely breaking the promise of the bankruptcy-remote structure. It would make the bankruptcy-remote structure totally useless in fact, and it would make having invested in collateral-backed notes totally useless. We all invested based on the fact that because there was a collateral, there was a way to get most of the capital back in case of failure.

    Agree 100%...Peer Street Funding LLC is a special purpose vehicle separate from Peer Street, the corporate entity with the website. When you invest in a loan, you purchase a note from Peer Street Funding LLC, which in turn uses that money to acquire the hard-money loan from the loan originator (i.e., the original entity that funded the underlying investment). The relationship is explained in the Private Placement Memorandum.

    What happens in court will inform the whole industry of crowdfunding...lets hope they follow their word and what was promised in the agreements.

  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 19 votes
    3y

    @Viktor S. this is what my attorney said:

    "Hey Adam, so I am not a bankruptcy expert. This is what I know.

    You will be receiving shortly what is called notice to file a proof of claim if you are a creditor.

    They have not sent it out just yet.

    https://cases.stretto.com/public/x247/12208/PLEADINGS/1220807052380000000015.pdf

    If you are just an equity investor in one of their companies, you don’t file a proof of claim. They will notify you once the re-org plan has been adopted and what your remaining position is. Most equity holders are either wiped out or given a fraction of stock in the re-organized company. It’s usually not very pretty.

    If you want to consult with a bankruptcy pro (he charges for the consult), you can reach out to Paul Orshan.  I would only do so if you are a creditor (they owe you money from a loan or service you provided), and he can walk you through the entire process and how to participate in the 341 meeting of creditors etc.

    Sorry I can’t be of more help. It’s a pretty specialized area of law."

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Does that match up with the advice anyone has gotten???

    Anyone spoken directly with someone who specializes in this type of Law?

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y

    @Viktor S.

    Few comments on this as someone in the business and have bought loans that were originated by ps funding

    1. Not all loans are performing

    2. Servicing a loan and managing a loan are two different things, if a loan goes non performing the servicer will not decide on and manage a foreclosure process. Whoever does that collects fees as well.

    3. Many of these loans do not have 20% equity coverage. Many of the loans we saw were rehab loans and underwriting on them was poor with overestimated as is and ARV values.

    4. Since they filed BK it’s no longer peerstreets decision as it’s up to the trustee on what to do and the trustee is gonna want their money and most likely liquidate this in an orderly fashion

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    For those looking for a BK atty, I'll second Tony Sottile with Sottile and Barile. He assisted on a 2nd position BK a couple years ago and he is knowledgeable, helpful and for my needs very cost effective. I'd absolutely reach out for an idea of costs and process.

  • Member since 2023 · 16 posts · 15 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:

    @Viktor S.

    Few comments on this as someone in the business and have bought loans that were originated by ps funding

    1. Not all loans are performing

    2. Servicing a loan and managing a loan are two different things, if a loan goes non performing the servicer will not decide on and manage a foreclosure process. Whoever does that collects fees as well.

    3. Many of these loans do not have 20% equity coverage. Many of the loans we saw were rehab loans and underwriting on them was poor with overestimated as is and ARV values.

    4. Since they filed BK it’s no longer peerstreets decision as it’s up to the trustee on what to do and the trustee is gonna want their money and most likely liquidate this in an orderly fashion

    Are you suggesting they will likely liquidate fast and at a loss?

    That stuff was not my idea, I just copy-pasted the whole thing. But thanks for the information!
  • Member since 2023 · 17 posts · 5 votes
    3y


    Another list of creditors was filed—1000's creditors. Over 300+ pages of creditors. WOW!! This is the second list. I would suggest watching every filing. Check out the Reddit link Viktor suggested. 
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Peers...

  • Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    3y

    Most were anonymous 

  • Member since 2023 · 16 posts · 15 votes
    3y

    Can someone please paste the link to the 2nd list of creditors?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.