Morris invest - any insights?

Morris invest - any insights?

Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 268 posts · 106 votes

Hi there

I came across morrisinvest.com the other day after listening to Claytons podcast. The whole idea sounds really reasonable, but I still would like to cover all my bases. Does anyone have any experience with them? Good experiences? Bad experiences? I can not find any reviews of them online except the testimonials on their own side. I guess that is because they are pretty new.

Thanks 

Simon

3Reply
3,501 views

Most Popular Reply

Clayton MobleyPro Member
Birmingham, AL · Member since 2014 · 875 posts · 947 votes
10y

As the CEO of a turnkey outfit in Birmingham and an experienced buy-and-hold investor, I have to agree with basically all of @Jay Hinrichs' points. If a company is selling rehabbed properties for $40k, then they bought them for around 5-10k, meaning these are C class properties at best. More likely you have some seriously distressed D properties in undesirable neighborhoods, because the sale price has to include a profit margin for these guys, the original seller and the rehab crew. So, no matter how nice the properties look now, no one that can afford to live elsewhere will pay to live in those neighborhoods. You could rehab something to look like the White House and never rent it for a decent amount because the amount of crime in the area (not to mention the condition of the surrounding properties) will deter anyone who has the financial ability to be even remotely choosy about where they live. 

Which leads us to the issue of equity. I see a lot of people talking here about buying below market to get some built-in equity right off the bat, but equity only truly exists when you sell the property - until then it's just 'expected' value. It doesn't matter how much money has gone into a property if you can't sell it. Put 30, 40, even 50k into a distressed property, it won't matter because no one will pay 40-60k to live in the type of neighborhood where you can buy a 5k property to fix up. If you hold a property for a few decades and the area magically gentrifies into the next hot neighborhood, then great, but that's a miiiiighty big bet to make. Appreciation isn't even guaranteed in A and B class areas, so relying on the possibility of appreciation in lower-tier neighborhoods is very risky. 

And regarding the issue of financing, I think that bears a little more scrutiny. Yes, cash is faster and easier, and it does seem that a lot of new investors looking for the next hot deal are keeping this new outfit busy....but when the question 'why do you not work with financing?' receives the answer 'because it's faster and also we don't want to deal with bank red tape like appraisals', I think it's time to dig deeper. Appraisals are important for a number of reason, not least of which because they ensure that the investors knows the value of what they are buying - at least on paper (see my comment above about 'expected' equity on properties with no real resale value). I would hope that this company is encouraging prospective clients to engage the services of a third party appraiser, rather than brushing off the necessity of an appraisal as an unnecessary annoyance.

On the one hand, I'd like to say this is a new outfit that just has more business than they expected. Real estate investing - and turnkey and wholesaling in particular - gets a bad wrap sometimes so we all tend to be a little bit 'on the lookout' for scammers, which is unfortunate. So I'd really like to hope that these guys are as legit as some of the posts here indicate because I like to think that we, as an industry, are learning to separate the wheat from the chaff, leaving only the well-intentioned professionals. Indy can be a great market, and a wholesale-cum-turnkey operation is an inventive model, so I'd like to think these guys are just a little avant-garde. However, I've also seen a lot of posts mentioning how difficult it is to contact them, or to schedule even a simple call in a normal time frame. The fact that the site has little information and that one person wasn't even sure if the guy on the phone was the guy from podcasts gives me pause. A few people have mentioned that it 'seems maybe too good to be true' and, in my experience, that usually means it is. It sounds a little like these guys just want people with cash on hand who will pull the trigger without a lot of questions or checking-in. Whether this is by design or because they are overwhelmed by their own success remains to be seen.

HOWEVER, for those that have spoken to the company and felt that they were on the level, I would say follow your gut but be very sure you take responsibility for doing your own due diligence. Ask them to show you exactly what their ROI numbers are. Ask for a real-world example of their returns on a property similar to the one you are considering. Not with an estimated 40% expense rate, but with the actual expenses incurred for the last year (or however long they've been operating). Don't lump all the costs together, ask for specific expense rates, occupancy, maintenance, move out costs, etc. They should be willing and able to provide these hard figures and they should be happy to walk you through how they add up. Questions from first time investors should never be met with 'tuning out' as one person put it with regard to their mention of financing. Even if they are really busy, an investor with questions, who wants to be educated about their decision, is not an inconvenience and shouldn't be treated as such. If you get the information and the treatment that you deserve and feel confident in the product, then go for it!

Sorry for the ramble ;) Having just read this whole thread, it seemed Jay was a little on his own out there and another experienced perspective might be useful. Take it as you will, and good luck to all in whatever investment niche you choose!

All the best,

Clayton

See this reply in the discussion

414 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    I'd like to find out more too. I scheduled a call with them and they are booked for about 3 weeks out! I really do enjoy Clayton's podcast. I guess I would be concerned that the company is new.
  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 268 posts · 106 votes
    10y

    I have scheduled a call with them as well. Let's see how it goes. The idea makes sense, but I'm still suspicious. 

    In the meantime, they are booked out for 9 weeks!!

  • Rohnert Park, CA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    I spoke with Clayton about investing. It sounds above the boards and I haven't found anything negative. I am in the process of a cash out refinance now and will be using some of the money to buy of thier properties. Essentially, they are so busy now I got the impression they are really only looking for cash buyers who can move quickly. They have a lot of interest and using a tradition bank can take longer than they want on closing. Not that they wouldn't do it, but I think they will always have a cash buyer ready. 

    I am hoping to be back in contact with them in the next few weeks though to find a property and will certainly update then.

  • Investor · Fairhaven, MA · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 88 votes
    10y

    Same here. I contacted Morris Invest and, after speaking with Clayton, I am looking forward to what properties they have to offer. I am new to real estate investing, but the turn-key part and target ROI (cash on cash) of 10% or more sounds excellent. I plan to send an update after I obtain a property from them.

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Yes, please update. I am interested also and would love to hear how it goes. 

  • Mishawaka, IN · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    I spoke to Clayton at Morris Investment, he pushed the idea of hard money lending. When i mentioned financing i felt he tuned out. That was my opinion anyway. I am currently working with Norada Real Estate on my first investment property.

  • Specialist · Orange County, CA · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 623 votes
    10y

    @Brian Naumann -- we appreciate you as a client.  You're in very good hands with your Investment Counselor Steve.

    Continued success!

  • Berkeley Heights, NJ · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    I'm interested in setting up an appointment, but waiting to save up more cash to start.

    How does Clayton Invest make their profits? Finders Fee? Do they own the management company (taking 10% off the rent each month)?

    I'm skeptical that they can fully rehab a house (which costs 30k-40k) in the midwest for only 10K. Pricing for materials for a rehab at the scale Clayton talks about would costs 2x-3x that price -- add labor on top of that!

    Please keep us posted on your interactions. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 268 posts · 106 votes
    10y

    @Steven Piazza I am having the same questions and I will definitely ask about it once I'll have that phone call. That should be on about 2 week. 

  • Investor · Bonney Lake, WA · Member since 2015 · 44 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    I just booked a call sept 21 and it June 24. Wow!  I love his podcasts. The price points sound good but I am curious of the rehab level and ares these homes are in? When we live in an area (Seattle) where houses are so expensive , it's hard to imagine these low price points. My only issue is to know the level of rehab . As investors we want a house with low cap ex, maintenance issues so our return is good over the years.  So please share what you find out. I really love his insights.  Just sounds too good to be true!  

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 55 votes
    10y
    Looks like Clayton and Morris Invest are getting quite busy. I've been following his podcasts and blog the last few months. It's a really exciting turn-key-esque model. I'm already in the Midwest but Chicago is nothing like the markets where he specializes. If anyone pulls the trigger through his business, please do post. Also, if anyone has insights into where Morris Invest rakes from in the whole process that would also be helpful. They are obviously a huge value add as they have the deals and connections, just curious how they would structure their take.
  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y
    I'm not a fan of the lower price points. It's not all about the rent to value ratio. If you are only buying a few then it's cool but if you are trying to scale and use financing then you really need to try and get more higher prices properties. Each to their own.
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Lane Kawaoka  not much on his website whats the twist why everyone so excited ?  what market.

    and I agree mid west low price points are tough long term.. need to buy at the top not the bottom  IMHO..

  • Investor · Glendora, CA · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 72 votes
    10y

    I've had one conversation with Clayton. He definitely mentioned they don't like to work with any financing, just cash.  I'm looking to purchase my first investment property with a turnkey company, and may go with his.  Not sure yet... He seems to concentrate almost exclusively on Indianapolis--not sure if I want to invest there either.

  • Investor · Draper, UT · Member since 2015 · 193 posts · 48 votes
    10y

    @Brian Naumann You bring up a good point. Not sure why a group looking to sell properties would care about the type of financing. 

    @James Hiller Have you thought about why any group would care if a buyer is using financing? Sure cash is faster, but if an investor can purchase properties using financing, it shouldn't make a difference. Would be curious to understand their reasoning for not working with financing. 

    I don't know this group, but after being in this business for many years, I am curious on a few observations I noticed.

    -Why is there no phone number to call and speak with someone?

    -Why is there no inventory shown on their website?

    -Why is there no email address or any way other than giving your personal information to contact this group?

    I would be curious to hear from someone that has bought from this group and understand their process more. 

  • Windsor, CT · Member since 2013 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    I am also interested to know more about this company.

  • Rohnert Park, CA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    @Chris Erwin I'm not sure why they would have a preference other than speed.  That being said, I'm still looking for my first property, so I am in no way an expert.  My understanding from talking to Clayton was that they don't have any inventory online because they really don't have any.  They get an investor interested, then find a property and sell to an investor, then the Morris Invest team performs the improvements and places the investor in touch with the recommended property management company. so really, they don't hod the properties, but are turning them over asap and only having to put minimal amounts of their own cash to get the very low cost property. Then they use the investors money for the rest.  I could be off on this or be using some of the wrong terms, but that's my understanding of how it works with them.

    As for contact info, I was given Clayton's email, and the contact number for their company and Clayton's number too.  Perhaps in the last few months with his podcast gaining popularity, they are finding more interest than they can handle and are making it harder to reach them due to scale? That's speculation on my part of course.

    I would still like to hear candidly from someone who has purchased with them (preferably here and not on his podcast!).

    I'm finally ready to follow-up with him now that I have my finances in order, so I'll follow-up once I do with how the process works and if I'm going to go with them ultimately.

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 268 posts · 106 votes
    10y

    I finally had the call with Clayton and I can pretty much confirm what @James Hiller is saying. Or at least that is how I also understand it. Sounds definitely legit to me.

    I have to sort out one or two things first, but will then go ahead and try it. I'll update again once I know more.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @James Hiller@Simon Stahl  so they get a list of cash buyers... then they go find you something and then they GC it for you and turn it over to a pm... and they take a fee for this..

    do they disclose their fee.. or are they just double escrowing the home you purchase and marking up the contractor.. what markets are they in. ?

  • Rohnert Park, CA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    @jay Heinrich not a fee as I understand fees, but selling over market for the area because they are fully rehabbed. I got a house today from Clayton and am reviewing it, it's fully rehabbed and about 10k over the "zestimate" (used just for a ballpark). Overall, the house is small but normal for the area, it is already rented and ready to go. It's really just purchasing an investment property at this point. There's nothing for us to do but buy the title. 

    This one is in Indianapolis. 

  • Berkeley Heights, NJ · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    James Hiller interesting info. Are you at all concerned that you are purchasing a home that you've never visited and walked through?
  • Berkeley Heights, NJ · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    Another question is if Clayton and his group already purchase, rehab, and rent out the house, why isn't he holding onto it for himself as part of his portfolio? Or is it better profit for him to flip the house and sell it to clients?
  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 268 posts · 106 votes
    10y

    I actually thought that he would provide you a property, you buy it, and then he would do the rehab for you.

    @Steven Piazza I guess he wants to diversify and make a business besides holding properties for himself. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @James Hiller  whats the ask price and then what is the Zillow price you have to take Zillow with a grain of salt they could be pulling comps from pre rehabbed homes and often do.. never take your values from Zillow or truila  in those asset class's... you have a wide range of conditions of the properties.

    PS.. I own 3.5 acres right next to the Graton Casino.. just got brought into the city and the north city specific plan .. I may be moving their in 24 months and will build it out... I bought the land in 1996  LOL.. never cash flowed a day.. :) 

  • Investor · Napa, CA · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    I have had a call with Clayton and am working to line up a (our first investment besides holding onto our first home when we moved) property with him.  Had all the same questions as have been posted, and have come to pretty much the same conclusions.  He seems legitimate.  The market sounds like it is stable and favorable.  He is interested in cash deals.  With the popularity of the podcast and at a price point that many can work with, I'm sure they have more people wanting properties than are available. Will update when I have moved on.

    If anyone has worked with other turnkey operations in Indianapolis, I would be interested in hearing about your experiences with them.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.