Investor · Canyon Country, CA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 18 votes
My husband and I invested in a property with Mack about five years ago. We intended to do several but within the first year it started going bad. Awful tenants, evictions, drops in rent. Nearly impossible to get anyone to respond to emails or phone calls I even wrote a direct letter to the owner, NOTHING. We are now both retired fixed income and can no longer absorb the losses so we told them we want to sell it. Again nothing, no responses. The one person we could talk there to has left. No one will take or answer a call, we don't even know the current shape of the property, with the exception that we were told a month ago that it needed "refreshing" prior to sale. We have other properties, with other management companies but they are all responsive, and positive. We saw all of the press on Mack met with their team, the owner etc. we drank the Koolaid, but anyone else have any dealings with them?
Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 808 posts · 417 votes
10y
@Christine Wagner sorry to hear that happened to you. I got a bad feeling when talking with Mack so I never invested with them (though I did invest in Chicago heavily). @Jay Hinrichs and @Brie Schmidt have created a site http://turnkey-reviews.com/ that may have helped you find an alternative provider. I have talked with many of the top rated companies on there and generally think many of those are amoung the better operators.
Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 0 votes
9y
Doc, did you get your deposits back as well as remaining rents? I have a property w/ them and am familiar with their bankruptcy. We're still waiting for them to respond. Rent payments have been severely delayed. We've also terminated our agreement with them as well. Thanks, Eugene
Professional · Hoffman Estates, IL · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 3 votes
9y
Hello everyone, as a former Mack Companies employee, I do have some insight that I am happy to share offline with investors that have been directly impacted. What has unfolded in recent events is extremely unfortunate for employees, the community of tenants, and especially the investors all of which had no control or responsibility for the larger issues at play that created this mess! My intention is to provide information as to allow investors to make wise decisions to mitigate losses and move in the right direction. I know there is a ton of info circulating that may not all be true. I do want to emphasize that investors that are still managed by MACK have options and I would like to help navigate the transition out and make it as painless as possible by providing real time info. Again, my sincerest apologies for to all parties impacted directly or indirectly, anyone who knows me personally can attest that I am passionate about RE and my clients and I too am infuriated at what has come to light! Best wishes to all and anyone interested in talking more, please message me!
Investor · Canyon Country, CA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 18 votes
9y
Living in California we only heard of this chapter 11 last week. We have been calling our contact and Mack and emailing since last week and naturally we have not gotten through. Unfortunately we are leaving the country for a month in two days so their is not much we can do, We have a new section 8 tenant which took possession in Feb however we have received no funds from Mack it is now nearly June. I know that when we return we will need to address this but we are at a loss as to who and how. I suppose we need to terminate our agreement with Mack management, and find someone else, but what about getting the ongoing payments? We have lost thousands on this property and certainly we are going to lose more, but legal action seems remote, as there seems to be huge debt and little asset value, throwing money at lawyers is good after bad. Thank God that we did not get deeper into Mack or buy more than one. My heart goes out to all of those who depend on their income from here. The other issue is they keep sending statements where we owe them money for charges they will not explain, and for things that Mack himself said he would take care of. I think they do that so they have an excuse not to send us rent monies. We will just have to move forward and hope that the market improves enough to sell it (or give it away) Onward.
Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 0 votes
9y
Hi Jose, you drove my wife Amy around to visit some properties about 18 months ago. I or my wife will reach out to you. I still have your cell #. Thanks. Eugene
Wholesaler · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 126 posts · 39 votes
9y
It looks like Mcclelland is doing business as Wheelhouse Investments, LLC
Wheelhouse Investments, LLC is an Illinois LLC filed on February 20, 2014 . The company's filing status is listed as Active.
The Registered Agent on file for this company is Alan Fulkerson and is located at 30 N La Salle St Ste 2630, Chicago, IL 60602. The company's principal address is 16800 S. Oak Park Avenue, Tinley Park, IL 60477-0000.
The company has 1 principal on record. The principal is James H Mcclelland from Tinley Park IL.
Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2012 · 332 posts · 385 votes
7y
I have set up a private facebook group for former MACK investors to exchange info on legal strategy, alternate property managers etc. If you wish to be added to the group please DM me with your info.