My experience with USREEB - turnkey property

My experience with USREEB - turnkey property

Investor · Emeryville, CA · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 21 votes

    I have been doing research on turnkey providers in Kansas City area, after talking to few people, visiting KC, driving around Independence, Raytown etc. areas and looking at few properties (from Bridge, McInnis, USREEB etc), I decided to move forward with USREEB. I will use this post to document my experience so far and update it in coming days. 

    Few key reasons why I decided to work with USREEB: 

    1. Good reviews and feedback from everyone on BP about USREEB, on how they handle property management and communicate well. 

    2. I saw two USREEB properties in person, one of them was in rehab. They were really doing a gut out rehab. Quality of work appeared better than other turnkey providers. 

    3. I am hoping to gain some equity in the purchase, i.e. hoping property will appraise higher than the purchase price. Usually, it is not feasible with newly renovated turnkey properties. 

    Now I have an SFH class 'A' property under contract with them. Property is 'complete', but no tenants yet. So far my experience with USREEB is less than ideal, but I am positive and going to give them benefit of doubt, at least for small issues.

    a) I feel it is not easy to get information from them. For e.g. I still have not received the scope of rehab work and seller's disclosures after asking multiple times. 

    b) Similar turnkey providers offer 6-month or more warranty on the property, at least on the rehab work. USREEB will only give 90 day 'handshake warranty'. 

    c) USREEB suggested instead of getting my own inspection done, I can just review an existing inspection report. I agreed to review existing report, in addition to getting my own inspection done by an inspector I trust. I never got that existing report. It took them 2+ days to confirm the date for inspection of this vacant property. On the day of the inspection, the lockbox code did not work. After finally getting someone on phone from USREEB and trying around 15 different lockbox code (as provided from USREEB), the inspector was able to enter the property.  

    d) According to my inspector (I have met him in person and he has done other inspections for me) quality of rehab is questionable, along with several small issues. I understand Property Inspectors can be very meticulous and every small item is not a red-flag, however, here are few things that stood out : 

    • Water was not on during the inspection. Dishwasher, Bath, shower, toilets could not be inspected. Toilets were dirty (apparently someone did their business and left a 'present', in both restrooms.  Not a big deal, but I wonder if property showings are happening in current condition? Is it ready for rental/move-in according to USREEB?
    • According to the inspection report, there are 3-4 layers of existing shingles under the newly installed roof. The roof is new and looks good on the surface, but all this added weight can't be good, especially in winter with the weight of snow/ice. I understand its easier/cheaper to slap new shingles on top of old ones, instead of tearing-off old roof and property installing the new one. Cutting corners in turn-key rehab is nothing new but in midwest, this could result in the roof collapse in the middle of winter.  And access to the attic is closed shut, so no way to inspect the rafters and roof structure. 
    • Structure/foundation: Piers in the center of the house are made up of brick and rocks. Is it still acceptable? Floors in the house have multiple directions of leaning and noticeable slope on the garage floor. Most likely due to soil moving or settlement. Again, nothing new but no mention of these issues and no seller disclosures so far. 
    • Other issues like a broken window or leaking skylight are not big items, however, I did not expect to see this in a 'total rehab' property, 'ready' for the tenant. 

I have already contacted USREEB and requested repairable items to be repaired asap for re-inspection. I am hoping they will be able to address all of these concerns just like they did for most other investors. 

We are scheduled to close in 2 weeks and supposed to have tenants moved-in before closing. Let's see. 

Mackaylee has been good at responding to emails and Kenna from property management was helpful when lockbox code did not work.
USREEB have more options in 'A' class neighborhoods (Lees Summit, Praire Village, Blue Springs etc) compared to other providers focused on B and C neighborhoods.  

I know a lot of investors on BP speak highly of USREEB, so maybe I am over thinking and these are regular issues. Please feel free to share your experience and input, I am sure some investors will relate to these pesky little concerns. I will update the post as I get response from USREEB and make progress towards closing my first turn-key out of state investment property! 

6Reply
207 views

Most Popular Reply

Andrew SyriosPro Member
Moderator
Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
8y
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
Originally posted by @Andrew Syrios:

There are good turnkey providers out there, but my suggestion is to always be diligent and do your own homework. I've heard too many horror stories. And I would also say you should manage your expectations. Generally, with turnkey companies, you will be buying at something close to market value. With the cost of the house, rehab and their own margin, there is rarely any equity left to pass on to the investor.

 Andrew to be fair I think the buy a house with instant equity ship has sailed unless they are like you and these investor reside there have the ability to source pay cash hire their own crews etc and thereby EARN equity.. Equity in todays market is just not given away no need to.. the market has FINALLY thank god rebounded .. its not 2012 anymore.  that's my take on it.

@?

Not sure I would say "thank god" to the rebound. Yes, it's obviously a good thing that the economy is doing well, but I certainly do miss those housing prices circa 2011-2012...

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Little Neck, NY · Member since 2016 · 107 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    i agreed with Yin. I ve 2 properties with them and doing very bad management. Usreeb is shady., they are doing bad job. would not go with them again. no receipt or pic taken. just charging up the account. Be careful with them

  • Investor · Rocklin, CA · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 77 votes
    8y

    We've also had some issues with USREEB. One property has been flawless (long term tenant, decent rehab, no problems) 

    The other was a POS. Poor rehab, tenant, maintenance and PM communication. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 222 posts · 121 votes
    8y

    Yin did not buy property from USREEB. USREEBPM managed a property for her. USREEB had nothing to do with the poor rehab that was inherited.  Yin did not have an inspection done while USREEBPM was managing the property. Yin owes USREEBPM thousands of dollars for repairs made that she did not pay for.  Of course there is more to that story.

    @Par Attaran Feel free to email me your concerns.  As you know, we have a very thorough tenant screening and background check but we cannot predict the future of a tenant.

    @Jim Chung I dont see you in our data base. Are you under an alias?  

  • Investor · Emeryville, CA · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 21 votes
    7y

    Update on USREEB PM: 

    I DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM. I would think twice before working with USREEB PM /OnlyChoice PM. My experience buying the property was okay but they really need to work on the PM company/business. I guess they are busy but not responding /answering questions in 4 to 6 weeks is NOT acceptable.

    The PM company could not enforce the lease, did not check or renew the lease 30/60 days before lease end and then accepted 2-week notice from tenant. And failed to keep the landlord updated. I emailed at least 10 times in 6 weeks still I could not get basic information like: When did tenant move out? Did you get prorated rent for the last two weeks? What is the make-ready estimate? When are you going to list the property again for rent? NO answers!

    When I got fed up and asked to terminate the PM contract, it took them 15 days to respond and tell me that it will cost me $1000 to terminate the contract. Not cool USREEB PM, not cool at all. Instead of trying to lock people in bs contracts, maybe try doing a better job at PM so the client doesn't want to run away from your PM company. 

    If a PM company cannot re-list the property for rent in 6 weeks after tenant move-out, they should re-think the PM business. 

  • Christina CareyPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Dayton, OH · Member since 2010 · 245 posts · 186 votes
    7y

    @Akash Jain If they aren't doing their job, they're breaching the contract. Should be enough cause to terminate regardless of its expiration. Also, considering they are not even licensed in Ohio, you might want to see how enforceable the contract is to begin with. I'm not an attorney, but I strongly suggest you speak with one.

  • Investor · Emeryville, CA · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 21 votes
    7y

    Thank you @Christina Carey - I agree with you. This property however is in Kansas City MO and USREEB does have license to real estate businss in MO from what I understand

  • Christina CareyPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Dayton, OH · Member since 2010 · 245 posts · 186 votes
    7y

    Understood. I can't speak for KC, but they're operating here in Ohio without a license. I sincerely hope yours turns out better than the ones I've seen here in Dayton.

  • Real Estate Investor · Wakefield, MA · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 11 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Par Attaran:

    We've also had some issues with USREEB. One property has been flawless (long term tenant, decent rehab, no problems) 

    The other was a POS. Poor rehab, tenant, maintenance and PM communication. 

    This was my EXACT experience as well with the two properties I have from them. I posted in another thread their PM service is atrocious.

  • Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Akash Jain I'm in the same boat with you. I've been struggling to have them reply to my emails. It has been a frustrating exWill PM you. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.