Market Trends & Data

User Stats

Votes
Michael Page
Votes |
Where to Scout in Austin

Michael Page
Posted Jun 17 2022, 07:42

Hey BP, I'm a noob investor and I'll be in Austin TX soon on a trip for my W-2 job.

I want to take advantage of this and get some boots on the ground info in this market since I may invest in Austin in the future. Any suggestions on areas to visit and things to look for? Thanks!!

Austin, Texas

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias
  • Realtor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 17 2022, 07:55

Join some local RE meetups than are held in the area. @Jeremy VanDelinder and @Jordan Moorhead host some cool ones 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Kelly
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 17 2022, 08:26

@Michael Page it will all depend on what your goals are. You can go in any direction depending on what you are looking for and your budget. Are you looking for long-term rentals? Small multi-family? New construction? Properties for short-term rentals? Budget? Age of home? Once you have some very specific criteria, the market will tell you where to look. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Page
Votes |
Replied Jun 18 2022, 12:38
Quote from @Ryan Kelly:

@Michael Page it will all depend on what your goals are. You can go in any direction depending on what you are looking for and your budget. Are you looking for long-term rentals? Small multi-family? New construction? Properties for short-term rentals? Budget? Age of home? Once you have some very specific criteria, the market will tell you where to look. 

I'm looking for 3 bed 2 bath and larger single-family homes for long term rentals, $450-600k range.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Kelly
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 19 2022, 12:49

@Michael Page you will likely be focused on the suburbs and be prepared to make a huge down payment if you want to reach positive cash flow. 25% down or lower won't likely get anywhere close to positive cash flow in the metro or surrounding areas, especially with higher interest rates and property taxes. Happy to chat about the market in more detail.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Page
Votes |
Replied Jun 26 2022, 12:54
Quote from @Ryan Kelly:

@Michael Page you will likely be focused on the suburbs and be prepared to make a huge down payment if you want to reach positive cash flow. 25% down or lower won't likely get anywhere close to positive cash flow in the metro or surrounding areas, especially with higher interest rates and property taxes. Happy to chat about the market in more detail.

Good to know thanks! I'm not in a position to invest out of state yet. This is something I was looking at as a few years down the road in my journey. Thanks again!