Do new construction homes or older/existing homes appreciate more?

Do new construction homes or older/existing homes appreciate more?

Real Estate Agent · Washington DC · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 3 votes

Analysis of 136 homes in two DC Metro counties held for 5 years.

Genesis of my curiosity

As a Realtor and investor for 10 years I often create my own theories of various market trends based on my own observations, experiences and listening to the anecdotes of others. I have formed opinions on questions like:

  • Do new construction homes or older/existing homes appreciate more?
  • Do fee simple homes tend to appreciate at a faster or slower rate than condominiums? Why?
  • Do new units nearby increase your property value and/or rent?
  • Which amenities included in a Home Owners Association or Condo Owners Association provide a good value to the owners because of economies of scale? And which increase the probably that your fee paid will be squandered.

When clients have these sorts of questions I of course share my opinion and state them as opinions. When an interesting questions recurs often enough, I research, but when I can’t find existing research I do my own analysis. This post addresses the first question above through my own research: appreciation of new construction versus older/existing homes.

Scope & methodology

Out of Scope: I have found lots of articles on the pros and cons of buying a new vs existing home. The properties themselves are often different, maintenance costs are different, purchase prices are different, utility costs are different, etc. Comparing the pros and cons of purchasing the 2 home types is not my aim here.

In Scope: The change in the sales price of new construction homes from when they were first sold after construction to when they were sold subsequently versus the change in sales price for existing homes over the same period. In the interest of time I limited my search to Montgomery County MD and Loudoun County VA homes that were sold in 2017 and sold again in 2022.

Methodology: I pulled all the homes that fell into the scope defined above from Bright MLS. I realize that many new construction homes and some existing home listings are never entered into the MLS, but I don't see that affecting the high level results I'm shooting for. In total I sampled 152 homes that met the criteria. I manually looked at all of the listings in order to find and exclude homes with significant improvements. Significant improvements excluded were homes that after the 2017 sale were torn down and built new, large renovations, additions added, extensive deferred maintenance addressed. 16 of the 152 homes were excluded leaving 136 to further analyze.

Obviously there is some subjectivity in determining which homes had ‘significant improvements’. Generally by looking at the listing pictures and reading the remarks I wanted to weed out properties that you could say had $5k-$10k of capital improvements invested into them between when they were sold in 2017 and then sold again in 2022. It occurred to me that the reason I have not been able to find any research on this topic is probably because of this subjective nature and time consuming attribute of this weed out process.

Without further ado, my findings

New construction homes that were bought in 2017 increased in price by 28.3% when they were resold in 2022. Stated another way, on average those properties increased 5.7% annually (using simple interest). Existing/older homes increased by 37.6% over the same period, or 7.5% annually. New construction homes missed out on 9.3% of home appreciation. In my sample the average sales price for the new construction homes when sold in 2017 was $699.3k. Consequently, on average the new construction homebuyers’ equity balance was $65.0k less than if their home would have appreciated like an existing home.

As detailed in the chart above the difference in the appreciation rates was much more exaggerated in Montgomery Co. than in Loudoun Co.

Making sense of the results

The results weren’t shocking to me. It makes sense that the purchase price of something brand new will demand a premium. No matter how well maintained, the quality of being brand new no longer exists once it has been lived in. It’s not uncommon for a buyer client ‘X’ to only be considering new construction homes. I’ve yet to have a client that is categorically excluding new construction so let’s say that client ‘Y’ is considering both types of homes. New construction homes have demand from ‘X’ and ‘Y’ and existing homes only from ‘Y’. Greater demand drives a greater price, Econ101 right?

As noted above there are many other considerations in deciding between a home that is new or existing. Whether or not the other benefits of new construction outweigh this diminishment of potential appreciation could be the topic of another post.

Deeper dive and feedback

I’d be super interested to hear from folks on this topic. Are the results about what you expected? Have you read anything else that supports my small sample findings or to the contrary? What was your experience buying new construction, how did it appreciate or depreciate? What other related topics have you wondered about?

At some point I'd like to dive deeper into this same question. Analyze a bigger geographic area over a broader time period. Also it would be interesting to control for attributes such as 1) condo vs. fee simple and 2) modest vs. midrange vs. high priced homes. The limiting factor was that each listing needs to be manually considered and that Bright MLS limits me to exports of 5,000 lines at a time. In total I downloaded about 80,000 lines of data just to do this small sample analysis.

I hope you found reading this as interesting as I did creating it.

- Jeremy

1Reply
170 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

Real estate generally appreciates based on location. If it is in a desirable area, it will appreciate. The age of the home does not matter.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Wow, @Jeremy Schappert, great analysis! Very thorough. I'm not in your market area, but if I was, I would be using you as my top data resource go-to guy. 

    When I was a more active buyer, in my area I did similar deep dives into the HUD/REO markets and courthouse sale data based on Substitute Trustee filings. I did a post on the hedge fund buyers in my area as well in 2012-2013 timeframe. 

    I liked doing the HUD/REO analysis because I could translate the data into actionable results. I could model what held-for-sale properties would potentially sell for and on a weekly basis adjust our model parameters based on what winning bids were for the week. My company bought dozens of properties using this method and I was sure we didn't overpay. I reverse engineered some of the Broadband Broker algorithms and could back-test against their whole sample set since I had all the HUD held-for-sale data on my PC. So, carrying on here...

    The great thing is that you can show your 'X' and 'Y' clients this data and hopefully help them in investment decisions. I found it extremely helpful in taking to my other members and managers to be able to classify RE markets into segments (e.g. what you've done with new construction vs. existing and I did with HUD held-for-sale) and convey the data behind my rationale for suggesting price bids, etc.

    Anyway, I did find your post interesting. Thanks. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Washington DC · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    Thanks for the nice words, Chris.  It's funny I'm not a top agent (yet) in my area but I don't think many agents do many deep dives for their clients.   It honestly feels like the agents with the silver sales tongues get the most business not necessarily the ones that help you buy the best property. 

    I'll have to strive to do both.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y

    It's the land/location that appreciates rather than the home.

  • Contractor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Real estate generally appreciates based on location. If it is in a desirable area, it will appreciate. The age of the home does not matter.

  • Real Estate Agent · Washington DC · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mike Dymski:

    It's the land/location that appreciates rather than the home.

    I can agree with that.  Maybe a better way for me to have put it would have been... A new construction improvement depreciates more during the first five years than an existing improvement.  If you think of depreciation as a negative appreciation I think you get to the same place.  I do agree that generally appreciation has more to do with the land/location as you point out.  In the two counties I looked at there weren't big differences in land appreciation between the areas that the samples were selected.
  • Rental Property Investor · Somewhere over the Rainbow · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Very cool experiment you ran!

    I think for one real estate is completely location dependent. On top of that, a new home is generally going to have a lot more demand due to size, finishes, amenities etc. The demand is going to mean you pay a premium for it, and a lot less likely to get a discount. 

    For me an older home can more often be purchased under market value, especially one that needs work. Fewer "normal" people want an older home, again, especially if it needs work. What does this mean? As long as you have a good layout, I feel there is more opportunity in the older home space, IF bought at the right price. You can force equity and appreciation. So you can buy cheaper AND force equity - you can add the finishes, upgrades to lighting/AC etc. I actually prefer an older home I can get at a good price. 

    I would LOVE to see an analysis based on price. Low end - mid range - and upper end. The low end houses here do not appreciate. That part of town has been ghetto forever and always will be. You need a big investment to change this - a college, medical center etc. Something to drive demand and money to the location

  • Real Estate Agent · Washington DC · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Allan Smith:

    Real estate generally appreciates based on location. If it is in a desirable area, it will appreciate. The age of the home does not matter.

    Interesting thought, I do agree mostly.  However, if I'm just looking at the structure/improvement I believe that a home would depreciate following a curve in the same way that most physical goods depreciate on a curve (in terms of real dollars, adjusted for inflation).  Faster at the beginning and the leveling off to some extent.  Boats, cars, RVs.  Basically, any good that doesn't get additional value from the fact that it is old like a collector's watch or some wines for example.
  • Real Estate Agent · Washington DC · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jeremy Horton:

    Very cool experiment you ran!

    I think for one real estate is completely location dependent. On top of that, a new home is generally going to have a lot more demand due to size, finishes, amenities etc. The demand is going to mean you pay a premium for it, and a lot less likely to get a discount. 

    For me an older home can more often be purchased under market value, especially one that needs work. Fewer "normal" people want an older home, again, especially if it needs work. What does this mean? As long as you have a good layout, I feel there is more opportunity in the older home space, IF bought at the right price. You can force equity and appreciation. So you can buy cheaper AND force equity - you can add the finishes, upgrades to lighting/AC etc. I actually prefer an older home I can get at a good price. 

    I would LOVE to see an analysis based on price. Low end - mid range - and upper end. The low end houses here do not appreciate. That part of town has been ghetto forever and always will be. You need a big investment to change this - a college, medical center etc. Something to drive demand and money to the location

    Hey Jeremy, first great name.  I totally agree with you that the older ones often have the profit potential in the ways you described.  Makes sense that you have to add value to significantly change the total value, and to change the value more than all the other homes are naturally changing value.   I also agree with your assessment of low-end homes, if you're going low-end they better cash flow well because I wouldn't bank on appreciation.  Thanks for reading!
  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    I was just about to post this question and then saw this, well done! You basically confirmed my thought that older homes would appreciate better. A couple other thoughts:

    1. Older homes are typically in more established neighborhoods. Local coffee shops, restaurants, schools, etc. In dense areas like DC, LA, NY, and SF, you have to go to the outskirts because there isn't land to build. I saw a townhouse development in an established area and even then they added a commercial building for a bakery/coffee and a dentist office. 

    2. If I were to buy in a new construction development, I would want to be one of the last to buy. Yes, in theory those would be more expensive, but if I'm one of the first to buy and two years goes by and I need to sell, I'm now competing against brand news homes in my development. Because I'm an older model, my only play is price. That might hinder the appreciation. That's where the age of the home does matter.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.