First Time Investor - Charlotte NC Market Research

First Time Investor - Charlotte NC Market Research

Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 14 votes

Hi everyone, 

I am in the process of digging into the Charlotte, NC region for a buy and hold investment property, and I'm looking for someone to help point me in the right direction. 

For some context, I will likely be pursuing SFH in the 200-350K range looking for primarily cash flow potential with hopefully rent growth over time and then appreciation as a secondary consideration. Using list source, I have identified zip codes with the highest amount of activity in the past year. However, many of these are not in the "better" neighborhoods of Charlotte and I'm able to find some (albeit only a few) in those neighborhoods that are in my expected price range. Obviously, some deals appear to better than others.

How should I think about balancing the high activity areas vs better neighborhoods? Should I just focus more on the individual deals rather than being in the best area?

3Reply
11 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Angie CastroBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2022 · 133 posts · 127 votes
    3y

    Hello Andrew, 

    I would love to help you with your search! I'm a local investor and Real estate agent. To respond your question I would say it all depends on what is more important to you. Is it appreciation or cash flow? If you are looking for cash flow then is all about analyzing the deal but if you are hoping for higher appreciation then that is usually in the areas with less cash flow as more buyers are looking in that area. 

    Let's Connect! I would love to help you with your investment goals.

    Angie Castro with Monarch Group4.847 Reviews
  • Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 14 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Angie Castro:

    Hello Andrew, 

    I would love to help you with your search! I'm a local investor and Real estate agent. To respond your question I would say it all depends on what is more important to you. Is it appreciation or cash flow? If you are looking for cash flow then is all about analyzing the deal but if you are hoping for higher appreciation then that is usually in the areas with less cash flow as more buyers are looking in that area. 

    Let's Connect! I would love to help you with your investment goals.

    Hey Angie, 

    Thanks for the response! 

    Cash flow is definitely more important to me. I consider appreciation almost as an added benefit, it would be nice if my rents and cash flew grew over time. 

    Based on what I've read on here and online, it seems like Charlotte has some low inventory and may be more geared towards appreciation strategies but I am not certain. As I mentioned, I've identified a few zip codes where there is the most activity in the past year and think I have found the nicer areas where there should be higher rents in theory. However, it would be helpful to narrow a little more from there. I am happy to go into more detail if needed. 

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2022 · 22 posts · 12 votes
    3y

    I'm seeing that too. I would agree, however, that there is a psychological limit to how high rents in the good neighborhoods can go.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.