How are people finding good deals in this market?

How are people finding good deals in this market?

Member since 2025 · 1 post · 1 vote

As I'm sure everyone knows, the housing market is pretty locked up right now. Inventory is low and sellers won't budge. I'm curious as to how this has affected everyone's local market. The market I'm working in is totally locked up. Transaction volume is basically non-existent. That being said it would appear on the surface that there's plenty of inventory, as there's tons of listings. However these listings are all totally unrealistic. In my area specifically most investment type property listings are properties that were purchased 1 to 2 years ago. In all cases the sellers are asking anywhere from 70% to %150 of what they paid for just a year or 2 ago. This is all despite the fact that they've made no improvements to the properties since acquiring them, and local property value indices only have about 15% appreciation for property values in the last 2 years for my area. Because the numbers are so far from making any sort of sense all these listings have just been sitting. It's becoming very obvious that this isn't a sellers or buyers market, but an attempted suckers rally. I was wondering if anyone has these same issues in their market, and how they've been able to skirt the mania and actually find real serious deals.

1Reply
26 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Shannon TayllorPro Member
    Real Estate Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2013 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    My market is similar to what you are describing and I too see signs of a suckers rally and reminds me of 2004-2006. People were falling over crazy to buy anything and driving prices up. I think in any market the best way to buy right is to find an area you like and canvas that area with letters, calls and door knocks, getting out and talking to people. There are still deals to be had, aging population, probate deals, etc. 

    If you are serious about finding the deals having a system to prospect and follow up has proved to be beneficial. Consider having a tool like PropStream or Foreclosure Radar. It is like having X-ray vision. Super helpful in finding potentially motivated sellers and calculating ARV quickly. It is just like being in sales doing the prospecting, need to pick up the phone and call them. This has been my experience and I live in an ultra-competitive market.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.