Issues getting a Personal Umbrella written over Commercial Landlord Policy

Issues getting a Personal Umbrella written over Commercial Landlord Policy

Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hi all, first time poster (and first time landlord!) I recently purchased a triplex and am renting 2 units and occupying one .Two insurance questions:

  • With the help of my insurance agent, I got a commercial landlord policy for the property; the agent told me that as a result, my own personal possessions would not be covered and so I would need to get my own renter’s insurance policy (even though I own the property). That seemed strange to me. Does it seem strange to you all? Would an insurer even allow me to do this? Currently my personal property is not insured at all.
  • In addition to the commercial landlord policy, I decided to pursue a 1 million personal umbrella policy through my agent. I was rejected from the two carriers he tried because, from the best that I can understand, my policy is a commercial liability policy and the carriers will only write a personal umbrella policy over a “premise” or “worldwide” liability policy. I’m not sure how to proceed at this point. Could I get a commercial rather than personal umbrella policy that will provide additional coverage over and above the coverage in my landlord policy (listed below) and if so, does it seem necessary based on my current coverage amounts?

To be honest, I don’t quite grasp the difference between the commercial general liability coverage I have and the “premise/worldwide” coverage I seemingly need to have in order to get the personal umbrella policy.

For context, this is the only property I ever plan to own and my commercial liability coverage through my commercial landlord policy is as follows:

General Aggregate Limit 2 million

Products Completed Options Aggregate Limit 2 million

Each Occurrence Limit 1 million

Damage to Remises Rented to You limit $1000,000 any one premise

Medical Expense Limit $5,000 any one person

Personal and Advertising Injury Limit $1 million any one person or organization

I won’t pretend I know what this all means. Thanks in advance for any input.

0Reply
15 views

No replies yet. Be the first to reply to this discussion.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.