NFIP flood insurance shutdown (2026 edition)

NFIP flood insurance shutdown (2026 edition)

Insurance Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 297 posts · 122 votes

As of January 30, 2026, the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is once again closed for business. That means no new policies, no renewals, however claims for active policies can be processed. There are however private flood insurance carriers that are open for business and can bind coverage same day. Often times these policies offer better coverage limits and protections at comparable cost to NFIP policies. 

I'm curious - how many people out there are insuring with NFIP vs. private flood options?

0Reply
67 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2021 · 289 posts · 256 votes
    8mo
    Quote from @Jared Townsend:

    As of January 30, 2026, the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is once again closed for business. That means no new policies, no renewals, however claims for active policies can be processed. There are however private flood insurance carriers that are open for business and can bind coverage same day. Often times these policies offer better coverage limits and protections at comparable cost to NFIP policies. 

    I'm curious - how many people out there are insuring with NFIP vs. private flood options?

    I’ve got two rental houses that require Flood Insurance and one is with Sterling and the other is with Wright. They were the cheapest I could find. Neither house will ever flood, it’s all a scam anyway anyways.

    • Insurance Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 297 posts · 122 votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Mike Kirby:
      Quote from @Jared Townsend:

      As of January 30, 2026, the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is once again closed for business. That means no new policies, no renewals, however claims for active policies can be processed. There are however private flood insurance carriers that are open for business and can bind coverage same day. Often times these policies offer better coverage limits and protections at comparable cost to NFIP policies. 

      I'm curious - how many people out there are insuring with NFIP vs. private flood options?

      I’ve got two rental houses that require Flood Insurance and one is with Sterling and the other is with Wright. They were the cheapest I could find. Neither house will ever flood, it’s all a scam anyway anyways.


      I assume you're in a hazard flood zone? If you believe your home shouldn't be included in one you could try submitting a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) to FEMA. Could potentially remove the lender requirement to carry flood insurance at all!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.