I have a question about the market finder tool

I have a question about the market finder tool

Investor · Flagstaff · Member since 2024 · 6 posts · 3 votes

Hey there, I'm new here and was checking out the "find markets" section. As an army veteran, I was SO shocked to see that city on there. I was just curious if anybody here has any personal feedback on investing in that area and can shed some light (other than numbers) on why that place would be worthwhile.

I apologize in advance to anybody who lives there and loves it. I spent a year in Fort Sill, and I don't think I could name one redeeming quality about Lawton other than houses are cheap. Among many other reasons, I can think of at least three times someone tried to fight me, leaving a gas station or a restaurant there. It just felt like that whole place was filled with military and people who had the army and worked in some sort of service industry to serve the military. I hated it so much that when they offered to keep me in my unit (which meant no chance of going to Iraq or Afghanistan), I turned it down and chose the combat zone options instead. 

I seriously am not just making a post to crap on Lawton, and my experience was over a decade ago, but I just picked up a client from Oklahoma today that said: "Yikes, sorry you got Fort Sill, Lawton is the armpit of this state."Which sparked this post, actually. It's probably because I'm new, but I thought staying away from places with only one industry, high crime, and low income was the rule of thumb.

What am I missing?
 

0Reply
41 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Tooele, Salt Lake City UT · Member since 2020 · 136 posts · 54 votes
    1y

    Welcome! Lawton definitely has its reputation, and you're right about the single-industry concern and the high crime perception, which makes it counterintuitive for many investors. However, some investors see potential in these markets because of low entry costs, steady military demand for housing, and decent cash flow from rentals, especially if the area has stable, government-backed tenants like service members. Ultimately, Lawton could be appealing to cash-flow-focused investors comfortable with high-risk, high-reward environments and looking to leverage a reliable rental base tied to Fort Sill.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.