Advice on 2nd duplex purchase.

Advice on 2nd duplex purchase.

Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 6 votes

Hello everyone. I'm going to keep this as short as I can but 20 years old now I bought my first duplex in November for 276k 13k down or so, 5% with interest rate of 6.125%. Currently owner occupying it until my one year term is up so that I can pull a loan. I have already got a renter very interested and is happy to wait until November to move in our current unit. I did do a good amount of renovations here like a full new bathroom and square footage add, also added cabinets, dishwasher, garbage disposal, tile backsplash, a lot of things to make it look real nice and functional. I have to talk to my same lender yet to see if we can pull something together before the one year is up. But I'm not sure if I should cash out refinance to get the funds for next deal or just use my capital ($30k). Or a mix of both. I don't think I don't really have any equity to borrow yet so I don't think that would be a great idea. The property I'm looking at buying next is my dream duplex pretty much. I have to go look at it on Monday. But I told the realtor I'd be happy to do dual agency with her (I think that's what it's called when you use the listing realtor for the buyer aswell). And the situation seems to be working out well. She said her buyers would have no problem waiting until November as long as they got some earnest money. The listed price is $320k. And the one unit is vacant. So this is the perfect situation.  My only fear is over leveraging myself as I've been told I will do by many Reddit keyboard warriors. I do have another $10k as an emergency fund along with a $24k annuity with my union but I don't want to pull from that. I'd love to hear some advice from some of you experienced investors. I appreciate every little bit I can learn. Thank you all. I probably left a lot out so ask whatever questions you have to give me the best advice.

1Reply
133 views

Most Popular Reply

Gregory AcsPro Member
Lender · MD · Member since 2025 · 148 posts · 52 votes
1mo

First off, congratulations on getting your first duplex at 20 and improving the property before renting out the second unit. That's a strong start.

The biggest thing I'd think about isn't whether you can buy the next duplex, but whether you'll still be comfortable if you have a vacancy or an unexpected repair at one or both properties. A lot of investors focus on getting into the next deal and underestimate how much flexibility strong cash reserves provide.

I'd also compare the long-term cost of using your own capital versus a cash-out refinance rather than assuming one is automatically better. Sometimes preserving liquidity is worth paying a little more, and other times keeping your monthly payment lower makes more sense. It really comes down to your overall cash flow and risk tolerance.

Did your lender give you an estimate of what the duplex might appraise for after the renovations, or are you still waiting to have that conversation?

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Gregory AcsPro Member
    Lender · MD · Member since 2025 · 148 posts · 52 votes
    1mo

    First off, congratulations on getting your first duplex at 20 and improving the property before renting out the second unit. That's a strong start.

    The biggest thing I'd think about isn't whether you can buy the next duplex, but whether you'll still be comfortable if you have a vacancy or an unexpected repair at one or both properties. A lot of investors focus on getting into the next deal and underestimate how much flexibility strong cash reserves provide.

    I'd also compare the long-term cost of using your own capital versus a cash-out refinance rather than assuming one is automatically better. Sometimes preserving liquidity is worth paying a little more, and other times keeping your monthly payment lower makes more sense. It really comes down to your overall cash flow and risk tolerance.

    Did your lender give you an estimate of what the duplex might appraise for after the renovations, or are you still waiting to have that conversation?

    • Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 6 votes
      1mo

      @Gregory Acs Thank you for your reply. I haven't spoke to my lender yet about that. I wanted to wait a few years. There are a few comps near me that have been selling high so I figure that would benefit me if the trend continues. 

  • G. Brian DavisPro Member
    Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 845 votes
    1mo

    Hi trent, congrats on the progress, that's a strong first year. I'd be cautious about a cash out refinance right when your seasoning period ends since rates and appraisal timing can slow you down right when you need to move fast on your dream duplex. I'd use your $30k as earnest money and closing costs now, then let the refinance catch up once you're past the one year mark and your lender can use the new rent roll to qualify you. Keep the $10k emergency fund and annuity untouched, as a cushion.

  • Laurence J.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chicago IL · Member since 2013 · 27 posts · 41 votes
    1mo

    @Trent Voisin you can do either option as you mentioned (the BRRRR method or just use your savings for now). Neither will make or break your trajectory. I would lean towards the advice that G. Brian Davis gave, which was to use your current savings and let the first property mature a bit more. Then when you're ready to do your third investment, you can come back to the first one.

    But more importantly, please come back and let us know what you decided and how the story progresses through November!

    BiggerPockets
  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1mo

    Trent, you’ve done a lot right already, especially buying the first duplex young, improving it, getting a renter lined up, and keeping an emergency fund.

    My biggest concern would be stretching too fast just because the second property looks like a good opportunity. If you only have around $30K available and you use most of it for the next down payment, you could end up with very little cushion across two properties. One furnace, roof issue, vacancy, or unexpected repair can eat through that pretty quickly.

    Before deciding whether to pull equity from the first duplex, I’d compare three options side by side: save longer, use a smaller amount of equity, or buy now with a structure that still leaves you with healthy reserves. I wouldn’t refinance the first property unless the numbers still make sense after the new payment and you’re not giving up too much flexibility.

    Also, make sure the second duplex works as a rental without relying on perfect occupancy or aggressive rent assumptions. Since one unit is vacant, that can be a good chance to inspect everything carefully and understand what you’re really buying.

    From the tax side, keep all the renovation records on the first property and any future property separated by category. Some costs may be currently deductible, while others need to be capitalized and depreciated.

    You’re in a good position, but I’d protect your downside before chasing the second deal.

    Happy to connect!

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD™ | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • Banker · MA · Member since 2026 · 120 posts · 31 votes
    1mo

    At 20 with one duplex already under your belt and renovations done, you're ahead of most people your age. The question you're wrestling with is a real one.

    On the cash-out refi: you're right to be skeptical right now. You're only a few months in, and even with the renovations, you'd need a new appraisal to confirm you have meaningful equity above your current loan balance. If the numbers don't pencil (meaning the appraised value minus your ~$263k loan balance doesn't leave much after closing costs), a cash-out refi just adds rate risk for not much gain. Worth having the conversation with your lender, but don't count on it.

    Using your $30k capital is cleaner. On a $320k duplex, conventional financing for an investment property (non-owner-occupied) typically requires 20-25% down, which puts you at $64k-$80k minimum. That's more than your $30k alone. But here's where it gets interesting: if you move into one unit of the new duplex and rent the other, you could potentially buy it as an owner-occupied property again with a lower down payment, just like you did with the first one. That's a real strategy some investors use, house hacking duplex to duplex. The tradeoff is you'd need to actually occupy it, and you've already got a tenant lined up for your current unit, so the timing would need to work.

    A few things worth sorting out before Monday. First, confirm the appraisal picture on your current duplex so you know whether a cash-out refi is even on the table. Second, get a clear answer from a lender on what your debt-to-income looks like now with the first mortgage factored in, because that affects what you can qualify for on the second. Third, the dual agency situation is fine but just go in knowing the agent's primary loyalty is to the seller, so don't lean on her for negotiating strategy.

    On the overleveraging concern: it's worth taking seriously, not dismissing. The risk isn't buying a second property, it's buying it without a realistic cash flow model and without a buffer. You mentioned keeping $10k in reserve, which is thin across two duplexes. Before you commit, model out worst case: both units vacant for 60 days on the new property, a repair on the current one. If that scenario doesn't sink you, you're probably fine. If it does, adjust the plan.

    One option worth knowing about: DSCR loans let you qualify on the rental income of the property itself rather than your personal income, which can be useful for investors who are self-employed or have income that doesn't look great on paper. At 20 working a union job, you may have solid W-2 income and not need it, but it's worth understanding as you build your portfolio.

    Solid start. Go look at the property Monday and see what the numbers actually look like before deciding anything.

    James Driscoll

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.