Oil hit a six-month high going into Fed week. What that does to your exit price

Oil hit a six-month high going into Fed week. What that does to your exit price

Lender · Houston, TX · Member since 2026 · 84 posts · 16 votes

Quick read on where things stand going into Fed week, because the bond market moved more last week than the Fed is likely to move this week.

Thursday's rally pulled the 10-year Treasury down to 4.96% from 5.13% the day before. By Friday's close it was back near 5.00%, and Mortgage News Daily's 30-year index was up to 7.33%. The reason was oil. Brent settled at $116.72 on Friday, a six-month high, and WTI at $103.27. September CPI came in at 3.7% year over year while core rose only 0.3% for the month, so energy is doing most of the work on headline inflation.

What that does to an exit: mortgage rates have been running about 2.33 points over the 10-year. Hold that spread, move the 10-year by last week's range, and a buyer on a $1,786 payment can borrow anywhere from about $256,400 at 7.46% to $263,100 at 7.20%. That's $6,700 of buying power from one week of bond movement, roughly $3,500 each way from where it sits now.

How I'd use that:

Flips selling in three to six months: price the exit at the high end of that rate range. If rates rally, that's profit, not the plan.

Rentals refinancing out: on a $250,000 takeout at illustrative market rates, the same range is $1,697 to $1,741 a month. If your coverage only clears at the low end, it doesn't clear.

Multifamily: cap rates follow the 10-year more than the Fed, and a 10-year at 5% doesn't leave much room for compression in an acquisition model.

The Fed decides Wednesday at 1:00 p.m. Central. A hold is expected, and the number of dissents is what tells you about December. Worth remembering that when the Fed hiked in September the 10-year actually fell, so a hold doesn't guarantee lower mortgage rates, and a hawkish hold doesn't guarantee higher ones.

I put the full write-up on my website, which you can find through my profile, and you can sign up there to get new reports by email.

For those of you with flips listing this winter: are you underwriting the exit at today's rate, or building in a cushion for rates going higher?

0Reply
257 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1d

    Steve, I like the way you’re looking at this. A deal that works at today’s rate can look very different six months from now, especially when the exit depends on refinancing or a sale.

    I’d add one more thing to the model: the after-tax outcome. For a flip, I’d want to know what the investor actually keeps after the sale and the applicable taxes, not just whether the projected resale price works against the acquisition and rehab costs.

    For rentals, I’d also separate a refinance from a sale. The cash you receive from a refinance isn't the same thing as taxable income from selling the property, but the new debt still changes the property's cash flow and the long-term economics.

    So I’d probably stress-test the deal at today’s rate, a higher exit rate, and a lower exit value, then look at what the investor actually keeps after financing and taxes. That gives you a much better picture of whether the deal works because of the property itself or because the current financing environment happens to make the numbers look good. Happy to connect!

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®4.9242 Reviews
    TaxMD® | Tax Planning Software
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.