Mortgage rates fell for the first week since August. It's worth $14 a month.

Mortgage rates fell for the first week since August. It's worth $14 a month.

Lender · Houston, TX · Member since 2026 · 84 posts · 16 votes

Freddie Mac's 30-year average came in at 7.32% on Thursday, down from 7.40%. That's the first weekly decline since August. A year ago it was 6.19%.

I ran it on Houston's median house, $325,000 with 20% down. The payment on the $260,000 loan goes from $1,800 to $1,786. At last year's rate the same loan was $1,591. So your exit buyer got back $14 of the $209 a month they've lost since last fall. A builder's average 6% price cut is worth about $108 a month to that same buyer, which is why new construction keeps winning the comparison.

The drop came on one day. The 10-year Treasury fell from 5.13% to 4.96% Thursday during a tech-stock selloff, and by Friday's close it was back near 5%. A rally built on fear can reverse just as fast.

Houston from HAR's September numbers: 40,192 active listings, up 6.3% from a year ago, 5.5 months of supply, closings down 5.7% and pending sales down 11.6%. Pendings falling faster than closings means October closings should come in weaker and the backlog is still growing.

Next week has the Fed on Wednesday (a hold is widely expected, so I'm watching the vote split) and Q3 GDP plus September PCE inflation on Thursday.

My take: I wouldn't move an exit price or a rental takeout assumption on one week of relief this small.

The full write-up is on my website, which you can find through my profile, and investors can sign up there to get new reports by email.

Question for the flippers here: are you underwriting your exit at today's rate and letting the buyer's payment set the price, or are you baking in a concession on top? If you're baking one in, how big?

1Reply
102 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Memphis, Shelby County · Member since 2026 · 150 posts · 45 votes
    1d

    A small weekly move is useful context, but I would not reprice a flip exit around it. A one-week change can reverse quickly, and an exit price built on a single data point is fragile.

    For a flip, I would underwrite the exit at today’s buyer payment, using the price and terms a buyer can actually support now, and then test what happens if rates move higher before closing. That sensitivity check matters more than the weekly headline, because a small rate change can still change how much house a buyer can afford.

    Price and concession should be weighed together. A modest price cut and a modest concession can both help a buyer, but they have different effects on appraisal, net proceeds, and negotiation. I would run both versions before deciding, and keep the version that still leaves room for a slower sale.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.