FHA Appraisal Advice

FHA Appraisal Advice

Real Estate Investor · Gainesville, GA · Member since 2009 · 241 posts · 34 votes

I've been working on a SS with Wells Fargo ( FHA) for a few weeks. No double closing - I am planing to buy the property, hold it, clean it up maybe do some minor work and unload it after their 30 days. The appraiser just called me and I will meet him there next Tuesday or 3 days from today. House is located in a very nice area but is the least attractive in its current condition. Several necessary repairs including roof, lots of updating (about $40K to $50K) and the grass was up to my knees when I was there a few days ago. Any advice on how to handle this appraiser (other than the typical influence) so I can get a good number in my favor? Is FHA still going 82% of the appraised value or has that changed?
Thank you.

0Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by Luiz Souza:
The appraiser was very open to all I pointed out. I was very cautious however, when I pulled out the repair estimate of $94K. He was much appreciative and thanked me by saying that it would help him a lot.


Luiz -

I know we've talked about this a lot in the past, and as I've always told you, if you treat the appraiser with respect, he'll be thrilled to let you help him do his job...

Plus, appraisers *LOVE* information...the more you can provide (like repair lists, invoices, pictures, etc), the happier they will be.

Congrats!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    16y

    Hi, if you can get into the property and get some solid estimates on the repairs needed, from contractors as necessary, that information will be a big help to any appraiser. In the narrative of the appraisal it can be mentioned that bids support the repair estimates. Be as detailed as possible about materials. ie. a 15 year composite roof shingle vs. 25 year decorator.sculptured shingle. This will give an idea as to the quality of materials to be used. Get bids for the work you intend to do as well. Work done by a homeowner is usually highly discounted, for a higher appraisal, consider the work is to be done professionally.

    As you mentioned be careful approaching the appriaser with comps, some frown on it as an attempt to influence them and some welcome all the information they can get. Make sure they are acceptable, within one mile to three miles, don't forget style of the home in addition to sq. ft and the usuall bed/bath count. Good luck, Bill

  • Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 684 votes
    16y

    Are you using a 203k loan? Otherwise, the appraiser may say the property doesn't meet FHA standards.

  • Real Estate Investor · Belvidere, IL · Member since 2009 · 169 posts · 65 votes
    16y

    As far as what FHA can accept, the guidelines changed to 88% for the first 30 days listed, 86% for the next 30 days, and then 84% for the final 30 days. Often, the lender wants the house listed for full appraisal and won't accept less right out of the gate. As far as influencing the FHA appraiser, good luck with that.

  • Real Estate Investor · Gainesville, GA · Member since 2009 · 241 posts · 34 votes
    16y

    Hi Bill,

    The appraisal was done today. The appraiser was very open to all I pointed out. I was very cautious however, when I pulled out the repair estimate of $94K. He was much appreciative and thanked me by saying that it would help him a lot. Of course in the folder with the repair list included information about other properties sold in the area.

    Larry,
    I have a feeling favor is on my side but if not I can always try again : )
    Thank you all.

    L.Souza-GA

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Luiz Souza:
    The appraiser was very open to all I pointed out. I was very cautious however, when I pulled out the repair estimate of $94K. He was much appreciative and thanked me by saying that it would help him a lot.


    Luiz -

    I know we've talked about this a lot in the past, and as I've always told you, if you treat the appraiser with respect, he'll be thrilled to let you help him do his job...

    Plus, appraisers *LOVE* information...the more you can provide (like repair lists, invoices, pictures, etc), the happier they will be.

    Congrats!

  • Real Estate Investor · Belvidere, IL · Member since 2009 · 169 posts · 65 votes
    16y

    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Luiz.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.