• Real Estate Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Rental Property Rehabbed to Sell -- 1031 Exchange Implications

Christopher Mendoza
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Posted Jul 21 2014, 14:39

Hi BP Community. What are the implications for a 1031 Exchange if a long-term rental property is rehabbed prior to sale?  For example, the homeowner improves the interior of the house (vacant with no tenants) in order to get a better offer and return on investment. 

Is it a sliding scale (e.g., a certain amount of work will convert the rental into a flip)? If there is a sliding scale, where is that delineating line between rental (with 1031 benefits) and flip (loss of 1031 benefits)? 

Any and all answers or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

User Stats

Votes
Curtis Bidwell
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Jul 22 2014, 23:21

Not speaking as a 1031 Facilitator, but I believe any work put in would be Capital Improvements and simply increase your basis in the property, as long as it was a rental for at least 2 of the past 5 years.

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Mendoza
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jul 23 2014, 07:21

@Curtis Bidwell Thanks Curtis.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bill Exeter
Pro Member
#2 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • 1031 Exchange Qualified Intermediary
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • 1031 Exchange Qualified Intermediary
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jul 23 2014, 17:40
Originally posted by @Curtis Bidwell:

Not speaking as a 1031 Facilitator, but I believe any work put in would be Capital Improvements and simply increase your basis in the property, as long as it was a rental for at least 2 of the past 5 years.

Hi Curtis,

I thought I would jump in here and clarify.  The key is that you must have the intent to hold for investment/rental.  So, if they held for rental for a number of years and then decided to sell and merely renovated the property to get it ready for sale, there will not be a problem.  It is only a problem with they originally acquire the property with the intent to buy, fix and flip. 

There is no two out of five year holding requirement for 1031 Exchanges.  This is the requirement for the 121 Exclusion for the sale of your primary residence (not rental or investment property).