Sell for loss or move in and wait?

Sell for loss or move in and wait?

SFR Investor · Rochester, MN · Member since 2011 · 20 posts · 1 vote

I bought a 3/2 in 2005 and recently started renting an apartment while going to school 100 miles away. I owe 130k on home and have it listed for 124,900 and have been lowering for last few months. My plan, after reading many threads on this site for the last month or two has led me to originally sell old home and buy duplex/triplex with VA home loan.
Now...I have been accepted to a different school program back in my hometown. Question I have is this: Do I move back into house and try to refinance (original at 6.25%) and wait until bluer skies...or do I still try to sell SFH and keep looking for good deals on duplexes in hometown?
My wife and I have enough money to keep paying mortgage and rent and will continue to have that, but I don't want to keep eating 1100/month on an empty house that may not sell. After realtor fees, etc., we are already expecting to eat 10-15k just to sell it. Is it worth it? Thanks for your time and I eagerly await your responses :D

0Reply
88 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2011 · 41 posts · 31 votes
15y

You need a place to live regardless. Why not refi and stay there until the market improves.

You can still look for investment property and purchase one or more while you live in your house and finish school. This will eliminate one house payment and keep you from taking a loss on your house.

If you really want to sell your house now then look into selling the house on a land contract. If you do this yourself with no Realtor involved you will save 6%. Get a decent down payment and use for your next home. You should also expect to get top of your price range if you are offering owner financing.

Feel free to ask any questions if you need further info.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Grand Blanc, MI · Member since 2008 · 885 posts · 316 votes
    15y

    What is the market value of the home?

    Have you considered doing anything creative with it? Perhaps a lease option, making it a traditional rental, or selling it on a contract?

    I would examine other options than sucking up the $1,100 payment per month and/or selling it at a loss.

  • SFR Investor · Rochester, MN · Member since 2011 · 20 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    FMV around 120-135k. Thanks for the info Mark. All 3bdrms on upper floor, so that makes it a one-family deal I think. I asked my banker about refi and then rent, but they want it to be my primary residence if I refi and i won't get 1100/month as is. Maybe 800-900/month. Even if I ate 200-300/month, banker said no loan until 2+ yrs rental history--which leaves me renting for the next two yrs (which I don't want). I'm not familiar with lease options or contract selling. I'll look into that. Any more advice would be more than great!

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2011 · 41 posts · 31 votes
    15y

    You need a place to live regardless. Why not refi and stay there until the market improves.

    You can still look for investment property and purchase one or more while you live in your house and finish school. This will eliminate one house payment and keep you from taking a loss on your house.

    If you really want to sell your house now then look into selling the house on a land contract. If you do this yourself with no Realtor involved you will save 6%. Get a decent down payment and use for your next home. You should also expect to get top of your price range if you are offering owner financing.

    Feel free to ask any questions if you need further info.

  • Real Estate Investor · Port St Lucie, FL · Member since 2009 · 41 posts · 11 votes
    15y

    I sold one of mine on a land contract with a 5 year period. If they choose to extend, that's fine, and allowable. If not, they can give it back and I can sell again.

    Meanwhile, it's occupied and cash flowing.

  • Real Estate Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Would you consider it a good deal to buy the house at its current market value? If not, sell it.

  • SFR Investor · Rochester, MN · Member since 2011 · 20 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    Thanks Jay and Chris. If I do a land contract and use their down payment to me to buy a duplex, can I show that to the bank so they can free up my liabilities (current home) more so than a rental contract? I may not be understanding, but my lender won't loan me any money unless I have gotten rid of my current home or I have someone in there renting for at least 2yrs. Please explain if I am not understanding you exactly. Thanks!

  • SFR Investor · Rochester, MN · Member since 2011 · 20 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    It's a great deal Vikram. I had 90k in water damage last year and insurance paid for all of it minus 1k deductible. All new hrdwd flrs, bath/kitch/all walls/appliances and floors/plumbing/elec/water heater, etc. The roof (still good) and stucco (still good) is the only thing in the house that pretty much isn't brand new. I only want to sell because it's layout lacks renting ability...or my imagination for renting it does anyway:)

  • Real Estate Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    I meant, whether it is a good deal as an investment. Not based on the quality of the upgrades or how much you like it. If the cash flow and / or appreciation do not justify the price you can sell it for, then you should sell it.

  • SFR Investor · Rochester, MN · Member since 2011 · 20 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    Thanks for the clarification Vikram. It isn't good for renting and/or cashflow. That's kind of why I am leaning more toward a sale...but that sale will set me back 10-15k. Hard lesson that shouldn't happen again. Curb appeal means very little to me now that I've learned a little on this site ;)

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2011 · 41 posts · 31 votes
    15y

    I am not sure why the bank is telling you that you have to have a renter in there for 2 years before they will help you. They should give you a large percentage of the rent to count towards income once you have it rented or sold on LC. I am not a loan expert though.

    I do a lot of owner financing and have loans with commercial loan dept of local bank. They do things a lot different that the residential loan departments.

    If you can not get the results you are looking for from your current bank try somewhere else.

  • Real Estate Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2011 · 74 posts · 17 votes
    15y

    Agreeing with Jay and wondering why you are not shopping around for other lenders to do the refi. With all the new work you put in, have you had a new appraisal? If you are not looking for a high LTV, signed lease agreements may be enough to verify the income and you have good ownership seasoning. Shop around!

  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Its not uncommon for banks to require 2 years of rental history especially for first time landlords.

    Sounds like you would be better off to sell this place unless it makes sense to live in the home. I would not spend to much time thinking about what you paid for the house because there is no way to undue the transaction. Probably best to sell take the loss and learn from the experience.

    Many single family homes are put investment properties. Your eyes are wide open now and I'm sure that you will choose a better investment property in the future.

  • SFR Investor · Rochester, MN · Member since 2011 · 20 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    Thanks again for your help guys! I have accepted a position for school for Respiratory Therapy at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN where my house is/was for sale. I will pull it off the market and move back in. Having the home there and working and going to school all within 2 miles of each other will be better than then the $800 extra I pay each month for rent/storage/gas. I have decided to use some of my savings and buy a distressed SFH. I went and looked at 5 today (after reviewing many) and one in particular seems to be a decent choice. I am crunching some numbers tonight and tomorrow and will see if the loan - down payment + rehab cost will fit in the 2% rule. As it sits now, as long as the rehab is under 15K, the house should be ok. Rents for 2bd/1ba that are similar in that part of town go for 650-850 and 2% puts me around 618/month, so I am getting the butterflies in the stomach about this number crunching...hoping it will pan out. I'll keep ya updated as I come across any major problems or details. Thanks again for this site...I check it a couple of times a day now just about every day--you guys are awesome!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Minneapolis · Member since 2009 · 60 posts · 8 votes
    15y

    Sam, you bought one depreciating asset that is under water - so why buy another depreciating asset. Would you buy a stock knowing that it will probably drop in value in the future. Real estate is like any other investment. If you really want to buy real estate buy a REIT.

  • Real Estate Consultant · San Leandro, CA · Member since 2008 · 38 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    Why shoulder the loss when you can profit from it? Have it rented in the meantime until the value goes up.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.