Lou Croce
  • Real Estate Investor
Votes |
Forming My LLC

Lou Croce
  • Real Estate Investor
Posted Aug 3 2008, 10:54

Hello all and here's the scoop,

I plan on forming an LLC with my father. Hes in upstate NY, and Im here in South Jersey. I plan on getting my first rental properties in upstate NY closer to my father because the areas/properties in the areas Im looking into there are cashflowing like crazy. SOOOO, should I form the LLC here in Jersey or there in NY? and does it matter that the 2 members of the LLC are in 2 different states? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Lou Croce
  • Real Estate Investor
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
Replied May 15 2007, 22:19

Wheres the love? :lol:

User Stats

Votes
Richard Warren
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied May 15 2007, 22:55

If it were me I would form the LLC in the state where you were going to be buying the properties.

8)

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 16 2007, 00:09

yes thats the best thing to do.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Dorkin
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Replied May 16 2007, 00:47

I'd also go with an LLC in the state the property is located in.

User Stats

Votes
James Miller
  • Attorney
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Jun 10 2015, 23:12

Not all state's LLC statutes are created equally. You should be considering Nevada, Texas, and Delaware too.

User Stats

Votes
Linda Weygant
Pro Member
  • Investor and CPA
  • Arvada, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor and CPA
  • Arvada, CO
Replied Jun 11 2015, 10:52

Holy Old Thread Resurrection, Batman!

User Stats

Votes
Jim Horne
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lawndale, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lawndale, CA
Replied Dec 5 2016, 21:09

I'm currently living in California but seeking property in the North or South Carolina area due to much more favorable cash flow properties in those states and proximity to my family. California requires that I "register" here regardless of whether I form in North or South Carolina. I'm also being told that I have to file as a foreign business entity. Any tips with respect to whether it is more advantageous to file in California and register as a foreign entity in the state I'm buying property in, or file in the state I'm buying property in and register in California. No matter what I do, I'm told I must be affiliated with California because of state law here, and I cannot get out of the California Franchise Tax Board fee (~$850/year). One factor I think is important is the "registered agent" for the LLC, which in North Carolina's case must actually live in North Carolina (which I do not). I think I need a lawyer....

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Watts
Pro Member
  • Buy & Hold Investor
  • Shelby, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Buy & Hold Investor
  • Shelby, NC
Replied Dec 6 2016, 04:31

Yea contact an attorney. NC will want you to provide an address within the state that is your business address. It can be your primary house if that is where the business is. Attorney is your best route and you'll likely have to contact on in Cali and one in Carolina. I've got some in NC that can help you with that side of things. PM me and I'll shoot over there contact info. 

User Stats

Votes
Jessica Zolotorofe
  • Attorney
  • New Jersey
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • New Jersey
Replied Dec 6 2016, 04:42

Your accountant can probably give you the best advice. You don't need a business asdress within the state of formation, only a registered agent. There are tons of companies that do it for a small fee.

User Stats

Votes
Jim Horne
Pro Member
  • Lawndale, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lawndale, CA
Replied Dec 6 2016, 07:46

Thanks Tyler and Jessica. Tyler I just PMd you.  I'll speak with my accountant today.

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Brenner
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Dec 31 2016, 06:30

Hi Jim - I'm in a similar situation (living in CA, looking to invest in OH with my Dad and brother who live there). Did you learn anything from your accountant that you can share here?

User Stats

Votes
Peter Mckernan
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Dec 31 2016, 07:02

@Lou Croce

You can form the LLC in the state that you are buying the property, or in New Jersey. Look to see the best position and protection for the LLC as @James Miller mentioned those three states would be a good option too! 

I would do some research on all five of those states and also discuss with an attorney to make your final discussion.

• Real Estate Agent Ca (#01968986)

The McKernan Group Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jim Horne
Pro Member
  • Lawndale, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lawndale, CA
Replied Jan 1 2017, 09:24

My apologies for not posting sooner. After speaking with an attorney in NC, it became clear that for my situation it made sense to form an LLC only in California. Regardless of where else I formed an entity, California would require me to foreign register with them and would require what they call a franchise tax board fee of $800 per year. NC law only requires you to register if you are performing active business in the state (i.e. have employees and create W-2s), and passive real estate investment does not meet the provisions of that statute requiring registration. Given the complexities of forming in NC (I would need to have a registered agent living in NC, pay fees for the LLC, etc) and no need to per statute, it only made sense to form in CA. Hope that helps. It is all very state specific and unique to your particular situation so I recommend you seek a professional opinion first.

User Stats

Votes
Cliff H.
  • Nashua, NH
Votes |
  • Nashua, NH
Replied Sep 30 2018, 08:33

Thanks for the update @Jim Horne. Currently looking into this same situation and had always been under assumption that most states required the local resident agent and a "doing business as" registry, which we effectively a similar cost as just registering one's LLC in that state anyway. Clearly some major differences across state lines, which one should assume anyway. Appreciate the sharing of XP here!

User Stats

Votes
Brian Bradley
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Wilsonville, OR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Wilsonville, OR
Replied Oct 4 2018, 11:12

@Lou Croce I would talk to your CPA and see where your takes make the most sense. No it does not matter that 2 members of an LLC live in different states. Business partners live all over the US and world. When you set up your LLC or Series LLC or any holding company have your Attorney draft it and your Operating Agreement for you. IF you wan to talk further I am an AP Attorney, just IM me.

Bradley Legal Corp Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 4 2018, 15:44

Newbie here myself but most people advise that its best to form an LLC in the state you're buying a property, however your attorney and/or accountant could probably give you the right answer depending on your situation and investing goals.

Curious to know where in upstate NY are you looking to buy?