Alexander Johnson
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
New member from Annapolis - Prince Georges County, MD

Alexander Johnson
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Posted Sep 24 2014, 08:45

Hello Everybody!

Currently I live in Annapolis, MD but I call Prince Georges County, MD my home.  I am excited to join the BP community and learn as much as I can.  I am currently a college senior and upon graduation I plan to close on my first property.  I plan on having a career in the military and building a portfolio rental income from multi-family homes.

I have already learned so much on here, I look forward to continued learning and networking with you all!

AJ

User Stats

Votes
Harrison Stowe
  • Bethesda, MD
Votes |
  • Bethesda, MD
Replied Sep 24 2014, 08:48

Hi Aj! It's great to have you on board. I've been living in the DC area for most of my adult life (in Bethesda at the moment), and it's always great to meet new people interested in property investment. I've always found the DC-local housing market to be especially promising - compared to much of the country it's exceptionally safe and stable (though not without its particular cautions). Feel free to connect.

User Stats

Votes
Dmitriy Fomichenko
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Replied Sep 24 2014, 15:57

Welcome to BP community @Alexander Johnson  It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. Here are a few recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select that person below. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

Wishing you the best! 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes
Account Closed
  • Clinton, MD
Votes |
  • Clinton, MD
Replied Sep 24 2014, 17:02

Welcome! I live in PGC right now, have a career in the military, and a multifamily portfolio. We just closed on 64 units last month. Feel free to connect! Are you at the Naval Academy?

User Stats

Votes
Dave Visaya
  • Audio Engineer and Investor
  • Cebu City, Cebu
Votes |
  • Cebu City, Cebu
ModeratorReplied Sep 24 2014, 23:34

Hey @Alexander Johnson Glad to have you here! Let us know how we can help, and jump into the community here. You'll love it :)

User Stats

Votes
Alexander Johnson
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Sep 25 2014, 16:36

@Harrison Stowe @Dmitriy Fomichenko @Dave Visaya Thank you all for the welcome!

@Account Closed Yes, I am a senior at the Naval Academy right now.  My home away from Annapolis is near Ritchie Marlboro station.

User Stats

Votes
Travis Paez
  • Investor
  • Arnold, MD
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arnold, MD
Replied Sep 25 2014, 18:14

Hi AJ,

I am just starting out myself. I am in the Annapolis area but want to invest closer to Baltimore or DC as the rental markets seem better within a shorter commute to the downtown areas. Keep me posted on how you are doing. I would love to compare notes. 

Travis Paez

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Sep 25 2014, 19:04

@Alexander Johnson 

welcome to the site.

User Stats

Votes
Ned Carey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
ModeratorReplied Sep 26 2014, 00:20

Welcome to BP @Alexander Johnson There are a lot of members here from the greater DC area.  I think there is a lot of opportunity in PG county. 

User Stats

Votes
Dave Visaya
  • Cebu City, Cebu
Votes |
  • Cebu City, Cebu
ModeratorReplied Sep 26 2014, 00:27

Hey @Alexander Johnson welcome to BiggerPockets! It's great to have you and I certainly hope to see you interacting in the forums! :)

User Stats

Votes
Frankie Woods
  • Investor
  • Arlington, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arlington, VA
Replied Sep 28 2014, 08:18

Hello @Alexander Johnson !  Welcome to BP!  My parents currently reside in Princes Georges County (Clinton to be exact).  I'm also in the military.  I salute you for planning so early to get into Real Estate.  I wish you the best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Alexander Johnson
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Sep 29 2014, 06:20

@Frankie Woods Thanks for the welcome and reaching out.  I recently read your post about "Experiences of a relatively new R.E. investor" before joining the BP community.  I learned a lot and hope to learn even more as I am about to embark on a similar career path.

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Hynes
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Easton, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Easton, PA
Replied Sep 29 2014, 08:13

@Alexander Johnson 

Welcome Alex, even though you are a squid.....

BP is a great resource. Full of great tips and reads. One tip that I picked up here is while you are starting out and saving money for your investments, start driving / visiting areas you would like to invest in so you get a feel for prices, rents , house conditions etc, and visit and look at lots of homes and open houses so your eye get used to looking at repairs / upgrades that are normal in a particular market. I really dont think you can look at too many properties, and the more you look, the more knowledge you will gain for that market.  This also helps you out when you PCS into a new area.  Any idea where your first station will be 

Check out the freeBiggerPockets Podcast- A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 70 past ones to catch up on.

Read some of these books ; personal favorites are the McAvoy books

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/04/14/best-real-estate-books/

User Stats

Votes
Frankie Woods
  • Investor
  • Arlington, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arlington, VA
Replied Sep 29 2014, 13:52

@Alexander Johnson , I'm glad you enjoyed the post and got something out of it!  It was definitely fun to write and reminisce.  This game is all about learning, doing, and learning some more. 

User Stats

Votes
Ray Slack
  • Investor
  • White Haven PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • White Haven PA
Replied Jul 14 2015, 18:31

There is a great pod cast on Biggerpockets from a "NAVY WIFE" about how her and my husband invest by using his VA to buy a house wherever he is stationed.. I would recommend listening to it. I think it's around POD CAST 120ish.

Ray